Author Topic: Help with Strong/Strongbrowning family history  (Read 283 times)

Offline Sherbertrose

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Help with Strong/Strongbrowning family history
« on: Sunday 13 January 13 14:40 GMT (UK) »
I would like help finding information on John Strong/ John Strongbrowning. Perhaps I should explain why and what I already know.

My 4x Great Grandfather George Strong was born in Doncaster c1791 – I have struggled for many years to find out when he was baptised and who his parents were.  However, I think I may have found part of the answer. I am of the opinion that George’s parents were John and Mary. The rational which led me to this conclusion is questionable but the more I look at the ‘evidence’ the more I think I my theory is correct.

George was married in Arksey Doncaster to Hannah Drake. In Arksey there is a baptism for William Strong (17 July 1785) with father John. I think this is the brother of George. The only burial for a John strong that I can find is that John Strongbrowning 7 Sep 1820 Sprotborough aged 79. By taking the assumption that John Strong and John Strongbrowning is the same person which I think they are,  three other children (Richard, Charles, and Rebecca) show up and when these individuals are researched the surname Strong/Strongbrowning seems to be interchangeable. Rebecca’s baptism on igi shows her mother to be Mary. However, I cannot find a marriage between a John Strong/john Strongbrowning and a Mary c1770. I have found a marriage for John Strongbrowning to a Hannah Bradley 30 April 1792. I am not sure whether this is a second marriage for John or the marriage of an unknown son of John and Mary.

To clarify what I would really like to establish is a marriage between John Strong/John Strongbrowning and Mary, establish if the marriage between John and Hannah Bradley is a second marriage and who the witnesses were, if there were any other children born to John and Mary and when Mary died. However, any information regardless of how seemingly insignificant would be much appreciated.

Sandra
Ibbotson, Mitchell, Metcalfe, Hulley, Carter, Burton, Rodgers, Staniforth, Mann