Author Topic: Kynoch and Bryson Surnames in Banffshire  (Read 1643 times)

Offline extattiehowker

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Kynoch and Bryson Surnames in Banffshire
« on: Monday 14 January 13 14:28 GMT (UK) »
Hi
Anyone researching Kynoch or Bryson as a surname in the 1800's in Banffshire? Wondering why I have them as middle names on a couple of ancestors at that time.
Wilson,Wood,Davidson,Lawrence,Mckay.Cardno Stewart,Munro,Christie,Grant,Laurance,Dingwall,Gibb,McLeod,McRae

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Re: Kynoch and Bryson Surnames in Banffshire
« Reply #1 on: Monday 14 January 13 17:11 GMT (UK) »
Not researching them exactly, but came across them years ago. William G Bryson was factor to the Earl of Seafield, and married Elizabeth Kynoch, who was one of/related to the family in Keith who had the woollen mills. I am pretty sure that LIBINDX will have something on them.

The 1881 census has them in Old Town, Cullen - W G Bryson, 63, born Edinburgh, Elizabeth K Bryson, 45, born Keith, and Klara and Robert Kynoch Shand, niece and nephew aged 3 and 1 respectively, plus a visitor, a cook, two housemaids, and a nurse visitor.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline extattiehowker

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 14 January 13 17:38 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Forfarian
I am still left to wonder a bit as to why a crofter at Portessie would name his last 2 kids (of 10, none of the others with middle names) with middle names like Bryson and Kynoch when there are no traces in the past of those middle names. Maybe he was sucking up to the Seafield factor William Bryson. (that's an unusual surname) by naming 2 kids using the factor and his wife's last names. The kids were born in 1868 and 1871 which does tie in OK that they would be known in the area.
Wilson,Wood,Davidson,Lawrence,Mckay.Cardno Stewart,Munro,Christie,Grant,Laurance,Dingwall,Gibb,McLeod,McRae

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 14 January 13 18:13 GMT (UK) »
Maybe he was sucking up to the Seafield factor William Bryson.
Could be - it's not unknown.

(that's an unusual surname)
My great-grandfather was James Bryson (1853-1930) which is why I was interested enough to try and see if William G Bryson was related. I came to the conclusion that he wasn't.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.