Author Topic: house pic required  (Read 780 times)

Offline REVSSS

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
house pic required
« on: Wednesday 16 January 13 04:27 GMT (UK) »
 looking for a pictureof a house at 89 Sturry Road, Canterbury .pls email if possible to * thanks in advance  Steve

* Moderator comment: email address removed - please use the PM system for exchanging email addresses *

Offline bluemincepies

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: house pic required
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 16 January 13 11:12 GMT (UK) »
Google Street Map is your friend!

Watling Tyres are at 83-85 so 89 should be one of the pair of white houses to the right of them (west?).

Not sure about copyright for their images so won't post the picture
Percival, Wilson, Hinchelwood, Page

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 16 January 13 11:24 GMT (UK) »
looking for a pictureof a house at 89 Sturry Road, Canterbury .pls email if possible to * thanks in advance  Steve

Are you looking for no 89 today, or was it an address from the dim and distant past? If so, you may need to do other checks as street numbers may have changed.

Offline bluemincepies

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 16 January 13 11:30 GMT (UK) »
Are you looking for no 89 today, or was it an address from the dim and distant past? If so, you may need to do other checks as street numbers may have changed.

Good point Ruskie!

The houses I've seen look to be 1920/30's

Hope that helps
Percival, Wilson, Hinchelwood, Page

Offline Zacktyr

• RootsChat Veteran
  • My little paperweight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 09 February 13 21:31 GMT (UK) »
Hi Steve,

Try this link:
 http://vpike.com/?place=89+Sturry+Road%2C+Canterbury%2C+Kent%2C+England

I use vpike.com for address finding as it does not require download of Google applications to view an address but uses Google as the plug in automatically. 

Bearing in mind that the addresses may have changed since early 20th century as has been suggested, this link should drop you at about the junction of Barton Mill Road and Sturry Road.  You will see two windows - the street view on your left and the map on your right.  Navigate by clicking on the arrows along the lower edge of the street view and you will see the placemarker move on the map.  Watling Tyres is just east of the junction of the two streets so click on the right arrow.  There is a white double-fronted house immediately next door, but I cannot see the address.  But perhaps the house matches your recollection.  If not, then I would suspect that the house had been torn down to make way for the extensions on Watling Tyres.  A short distance to the west of Watling Tyres is a place called Island Fishbar.  That address is 71 Sturry Road. 

Hope this helps.

Susan
CRN-Hocking
DVN-Bickle.Doble.Harris.Hill.Nrthcte
KEN-Austen.Bodeker.Collard.Dodd.Duncan.Eaton.Gregry.Hammnd.Herman.Hills.Hodgs.Ivysn.
James.Kemp.Milstd.Nut.Owlet.Ruck.Spilet.Terry.Tilby.Thmsn.Walker
SOM-Baker.Clatworthy.Linton.Parker.Smith.Stone.Twose
ABD-Barclay.Cruickshank.McKenzie.Shepherd.Club
LKS-Douglas.Gunn.Turner
MLN-Dicks/Dickson.Duff.Lindsay.Young
SHI-Bain.Cluness.Fordyce.Gray.Petrie
ASSISTANCE PROVIDED HERE IS FROM MY OWN DIRECT EXPERIENCE & NOT TO BE CONSTRUED AS LEGAL ADVICE