Author Topic: Alfred Settle  (Read 5552 times)

Offline 1963chris

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Alfred Settle
« on: Wednesday 16 January 13 15:53 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

I'm looking for a death record for my ancestor Alfred Settle, born about 1832, in Brighouse, Yorkshire - or at least an explanation as to why he disappears from the record sometime in the 1850s.  He was the husband of Mary Ellis, and had several children by her, including James (b 1852), Arthur (b 1854) and Luke (b 1856). 

I have been researching the Settle family for some time, and Alfred is proving a mystery.  If anyone can shed some light on this I would be most grateful!

Chris

Offline DORAN54

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Alfred Settle
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 16 January 13 18:39 GMT (UK) »
hi i can't see a death for an Alfred settle but i notice on his marriage record his father is listed as Joseph Wilkinson do you think he might have started to use that name for some reason? also apart from the 1841 census i can't see him in any of the other census

Offline DORAN54

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 16 January 13 18:49 GMT (UK) »
i see that when his son james married in 1875 his father is not listed as deceased but occupation whitesmith  .i can see the family in other census but no alfred

Offline DORAN54

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 16 January 13 18:59 GMT (UK) »
found alfred 's baptism  born 21 june 1831 baptised 21 august 1831 mother ann settle *spinster*
hippenholme brighouse

Offline hjstort

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 16 January 13 19:47 GMT (UK) »
Ann Settle daughter of Luke & Martha baptised Lightcliffe 9 Feb 1812 - this would be Alfred's mother.

Also Mary Ellen Settle daughter of Mary Settle widow Baptised Lightcliffe 5 April 1874 - is this the Mary Ellen Settle daughter (born 1866) in the 1871 Census?  If it is Mary states she is a widow in 1874 and does not name the father of her daughter.

Helga
Dobson, Frankland, Oates, Sellar(s), Chadwick, Hardcastle, Cawthra, Vogel

Offline dave the tyke

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 16 January 13 23:53 GMT (UK) »
Hi Chris,
I have no information on the Settle family but I can confirm that the name Luke was carried forward by several generations of the Ellis families of Lightcliffe and Norwood back from at least 1760

Dave
Bland, Greenwood Bland, Ellis, Benn, Woodhead, Priestley, Illingworth, Lightowler, Platts, Boys, Bradley, O'Hara, Hall<br /><br />Areas -  North Bierley, Northowram, West Bowling, Horton, Shelf, Allerton, Queensbury, Haworth, Ovenden, Halifax, Luddenden, Midgley, Elland, Littleborough

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Jay55

• RootsChat Member
  • Yorkshire born and bred
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 17 January 13 18:25 GMT (UK) »
Joseph Wilkinson of Hipperholme, cabinet maker, widower and Ann Settle of Hipperholme were married by banns at St. John the Baptist, Halifax on 19/11/1835. Witnesses: Benjamin Hoyle & Joseph Settle
Personal family names: CONNELL (Leeds) RIMINGTON (Leeds, Skipton) RHODES (Leeds) PICKERSGILL (Kirklington, Masham, Leeds), DAWSON (Silsden, Bradford)
KNOWLSON (Thormanby) STURDY (Yorkshire) CARISS (Easingwold & Australia) RYMER (Easingwold) ASK(E) (Easingwold/York)

Offline 1963chris

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 18 January 13 11:36 GMT (UK) »
Thank you everyone for your replies!

A chance look at Malcolm Bull's Calderdale Companion informs me that Alfred Settle ran away to America in the 1850s, to escape an unpaid debt!  He wrote letters to his wife Mary, but he never returned home and they never saw him again.  I had wondered if he had gone abroad for some reason, but had not thought of this.  What he did in America and where he went, I have no idea, though Ancestry has a record of an Alfred Settle who fought in the American Civil War, in the Confederate Cavalry. 

Alfred was the illegitimate son of Ann Settle and an unknown man.  Joseph Wilkinson was his step-father, though I think that Alfred was brought up by his grandfather Luke. 

I think it's time for me to look more closely at the American records that are available.

Again, many thanks for your replies,

Christine

Offline singingsusie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 09 February 13 23:27 GMT (UK) »
I too am interested in the Settle Family, particularly LUKE SETTLE, Blacksmith/Whitesmith who was an early musical influence on Susannah Sykes, who went on to become Mrs Sunderland (1819-1905) the famous vocalist from Sled Syke, Lightcliffe.   There are several pages about Mrs Sunderland on the website of Malcolm Bull Calderdale Companion.
Esam, Rawnsley, Sunderland, Settle, Goldthorp, Sykes, Wheatley. (Lightcliffe)