Author Topic: Buckhaven 1851  (Read 4743 times)

Offline Jeans Girl

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Buckhaven 1851
« on: Saturday 04 June 05 00:06 BST (UK) »
Hello All,
I have found my lost WALLACE  family in Buckhaven 1841 Census
They are in the 1851 Wemyss Census as
Buckhaven East

113  WALLACE Agness H M 60                           Lanark Glasgow
                        Mary     D U 26 handloom Weaver "       "
                        James   S U 22 Handloom Weaver "      "
Missing is
George M 60 Handloom Weaver             Lanark Glasgow
George S 20                                           Lanark Glasgow

My Question is did the Mill run a night shift ?
Any suggestions would be appreciated .
George 60 is still alive as Agness is listed as M not Wid
although i know George 60 was deceased by 1867 I still have not found a death cert for him though even with extensive searching.
regards
Margaret

Offline Aaron Clancy

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Buckhaven 1851
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 17 April 21 01:37 BST (UK) »
Hi Margaret, I've just downloaded this record from Scotlands People and it say Wid. next to Agness. I however have only been able to find 2 other deaths for George who I don't believe match. Our ancestor Margaret Wallace was married in an independent church in Glasgow who's family is from Buckhaven. This would explain the lack of records for this family to a large degree. George had our ancestor Margaret with an apparent Margaret Wright, perhaps on his travels and before marriage to Agnes Thompson. Our theory is she died at childbirth perhaps and he cared for her with his new wife.
In the 1841 Census George & Agnes are living next to his brother James (also son of William & Margaret Millar). George's children Mary, James & George also living with them in Buckhaven. Agnes continued living with daughter Mary until atleast 1861. It appears this family stem from Coaltown of Wemyss from 1788-1800. Perhaps this links them to nearby Dysart and Kilkaldy?

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 17 April 21 02:22 BST (UK) »
I've just downloaded this record from Scotlands People and it say Wid. next to Agness. I however have only been able to find 2 other deaths for George who I don't believe match.

George had our ancestor Margaret with an apparent Margaret Wright, perhaps on his travels and before marriage to Agnes Thompson. Our theory is she died at childbirth perhaps and he cared for her with his new wife.

It looks as though the info. posted was a transcription which often somehow seems to have 'W' (Widow) & 'M' (Married) mixed up hence it's always best to check the original.

It's such a coincidence both deaths for a George were on the same day in the same area & both are missing from the census from just along the road i.e. it could well be father & son although age is out for 1 & no age given for the other?
Have you viewed the images to see what they say?

What info. do you have re date/place of birth etc. on Margaret, your ancestor?

Annie

South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline Aaron Clancy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 17 April 21 03:19 BST (UK) »
Hi there, thanks for taking time to answer my call. Are you related to this Wallace family? Apparently George Wallace bap 15 Mar 1795 in Wemyss & apparently died 26 May 1841, age 72 in Markinch, Fife (also see Will of 22/11/1842 tenant of Auchmuty, Markinch). However, this death we know to be incorrect as there was a letter written from George to dau Margaret dated 13 Jun 1841. We have only found her parents George Wallace & Margaret Wright info due to her death certificate, where her son William was the informant. The various locations where they are living are confirmed through letters and census'. I have purchased most of these through ScotlandsPeople.

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 17 April 21 03:31 BST (UK) »
Sorry, no relation, just a nosey parker  ;D

I try to help others if/when I can, especially if something draws me to the post which in this case, it's an area near me.

Annie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Offline Aaron Clancy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 17 April 21 04:35 BST (UK) »
There may be records in the Independent Churches of the Buckhaven and it seems Leven area where there is the Leven Free Church (1843-97) and Leven Congregational Church (1804-60) and Scoobie Church (bef1843) where their first child William Wallace was Buried in 1821. There might be more info at the National Archives of Scotland, Edinburgh. Time will tell. Where are you from?

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 17 April 21 05:04 BST (UK) »
I think 'Scoobie' should read 'Scoonie'?

I live in Fife although born Perth.

Annie