Author Topic: Botterell/Cottrell - Toronto - 1850s  (Read 5891 times)

Offline Lisa in California

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Botterell/Cottrell - Toronto - 1850s
« on: Sunday 20 January 13 19:32 GMT (UK) »
Buried in the same plot as my ancestors is:
Hagassoh/Hajassoh Botterell
Date of death: December 3, 1857, age 52 years
Place:  Toronto
Place of birth: Ireland (Belfast)
Next of Kin: Wife of E Botterell

Wondering if this person might have been the wife of Rev. Edmund Botterell.  I have not been able to find anything about her.  Perhaps my ancestors bought the plot from her family, as their dates of death were 1875, 1889 and 1891?  Note:  This morning I have been reading about Rev Botterell, but have not yet found this lady's name.

Or, could there be a connection to my ancestor, Jane (Brown) Ellison who is interred in the plot and who was born in Belfast c1811, was living in Toronto prior to the 1850s, and died in 1891.

I would greatly appreciate any information about this person.  Thank you for reading this.
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Botterell/Cottrell - Toronto - 1850s
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 20 January 13 22:23 GMT (UK) »
Found on one of the pay sites is:
Alfred Cooper married Elizabeth Butterell, parents were Hadassah and Edward Botterell.
Looking at one of the marriage sites with Toronto information, the marriage took place in 1859, but the site does not provide any information about the parents.

Would anyone be able to provide further information about Hadassah, please?
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 20 January 13 23:33 GMT (UK) »
Hadassah appears to be Esther Hadassah Brown. Edwards marriage was in 1832 to Esther Brown (just lost it for the moment)

https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/JKHC-JL9

From biography of the son Edward Botterell 1891

EDWARD Botterell, Chief of the Distribution Office for both Houses of Parliament, was born at Kingston, Ont., May 11th, 1834. His parents were Edward Botterell and Esther Brown.

Sandra

"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 20 January 13 23:36 GMT (UK) »
Daughter Hadessah 17 Mar 1841 Ontario Prov. Parents Edward Botterell and Esther Brown.

https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/JKHC-JL9

Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 20 January 13 23:45 GMT (UK) »
Droiun Collection|:- Esther Brown  -  Spouse: Edward Bottenitt
Marriage  1832  Montréal, Québec (Quebec)
Place of Worship or Institution: Anglican Garrison

Edward Botterell Private in the 15th Regiment ???????? and Esther Brown Spinster of Montreal were married by Banns this 8 th day of February 1832 etc etc

Sandra

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 21 January 13 01:23 GMT (UK) »
Wonderful research, Sandra!  Thank you so much.   ;D

The cemetery information is from 1985!  When I received the photocopies of who was interred in the plot, we assumed Mrs. Botterell was not related to the three Ellisons.  Now, it appears there is a chance that Esther H. Botterell was the sister or somehow connected to Jane Brown Ellison.  (Jane Brown Ellison, her husband William Ellison, and their son Joseph Ellison are buried in the same plot as H. Botterell.)

I don't remember where I obtained the information, but Jane Brown married William Ellison in 1839, in York, Ontario.  It supposedly was Jane's third marriage, and William's second marriage.

I wonder if Esther and Jane arrived in Canada with their parents?  This is the first lead we've ever had about Jane's possible family members.  Thank you, Sandra.  :)

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 21 January 13 01:37 GMT (UK) »
I am looking through familysearch and I am finding information about William's and Jane's children.  I already knew their names and information about their children; I want to make sure others know that we have information about William's and Jane's children.  We also know that William was a carpenter and lived in Toronto.

I don't want anyone to waste their time looking for something that we already have.  ;)

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 21 January 13 02:05 GMT (UK) »
I found the link that mentions William Ellison's (widower) and Jane Cullen's (widow) marriage:
http://www.rootschat.com/links/0sok/
The witnesses were M. Keating and Esther Botherel.   ;)

From my 2009 post, possibly the death of William's wife and child:
"...Mary Ellison, interred 8 July 1834, age 37 years, born Ireland
Christian Elizabeth Ellison, daughter of William and Mary Ellison, interred 23 July 1834, age 4 months, born 'Toronto U.C.'
born interred York (Toronto) General burying Ground."

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 21 January 13 04:47 GMT (UK) »
It appears that Edward Botterell was born in Chesterfield, England, in 1794.
...he left a widow, two daughters and a son, Edward Jr.  Edward Sr. died April 26, 1881.  He was "of" Albert Street" possibly in Ottawa.

There is quite a bit to be found about Edward Jr. and his children, but I haven't found anything else about Esther H. Brown.