Author Topic: Edward Botterell, c1794-1881-Completed, Thank You  (Read 3646 times)

Offline Lisa in California

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Edward Botterell, c1794-1881-Completed, Thank You
« on: Monday 21 January 13 20:12 GMT (UK) »
According to various sources we've recently found:
Edward Botterell, born c1794 in Chesterfield, England
Edward Botterell married Esther Brown, Spinster, 8 February 1832 in Montreal, Canada.  Edward was in the 15th Regiment.
Edward served in the British Army for 24 years.
Edward and Esther had a son, Edward, born 1834, Kingston, Ontario.
Edward and Esther had a daughter, Hadessah, born 17 March 1841, Ontario.
Edward died 26 April 1881, in Canada.  (His address was "of Albert Street", possibly in Ottawa, Canada).  He had one son and two daughters.

My ancestor was Jane Brown, born c1811 in Belfast, Ireland.
Jane Brown Cullen (she was widowed) married William Ellison 10 September 1839, Toronto, Canada.  Witnesses were M. Keating and Esther Botherel.

Buried in the same plot (Toronto, Canada) as Jane Brown Ellison and William Ellison is:
Hasassah Botterell, died December 3, 1857, age 52 years.  Born Belfast, Ireland.  Wife of E. Botterell.

I am wondering if there might be an obituary in Chesterfield (in 1881) for Edward Botterell.  I am hoping that I can find more information about Edward's married life. I would like to determine if Jane and Esther Brown were sisters.  I don't know anything about Jane's early life, other than she was born in Belfast, Ireland c1811.

Thank you for reading this.  :)

Related post (in Canadian forum):
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,632319.0.html  (thread for Botterell)
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,632453.msg4802017.html#msg4802017 (Ottawa newspaper lookup)
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Edward Botterell, c1794-1881
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 22 January 13 00:02 GMT (UK) »
His service record states he was born in Chesterfield, Essex but there is no such place in Essex.

However, I note on his death details in 1881 that it clearly states his birthplace as Chelmsford which is indeed in Essex so if there was an obituary it would be in Chelmsford, Essex and not Chesterfield (which is in Derbyshire).

Annette
Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 22 January 13 00:14 GMT (UK) »
Hi Annette:

If I may ask if there are any other details from the 1881 death, please?  The only reference I have for his death is from a post, dated 2003, for miscellaneous deaths in 1881, from the Ottawa Free Press.

I will try the Essex board, thank you, Annette.  My Mumford ancestors were from Essex, so I am at least familiar with that county.   ;)
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 22 January 13 01:01 GMT (UK) »
It looks like the 'Chesterfield' on the service record should be be Chesterford, or more specifically Great Chesterford, Essex.

Have viewed on SEAX the original records for Great Chesterford and on a quick search found:

Edmund (?) Botterell b.12/7/1795, bp.20/7/1795, son of William and Mary
Thomas Botterell b.10/2/1797, bp.8/3/1797               ditto             (think he must have died)
Hannah Botterell b.21/4/1799, bp.27/4/1799        dau.    ditto
Thomas b.18/5/1801, bp.23/5/1801.   

Botterell is an uncommon surname so I feel pretty sure that Chesterfield was written rather than Chesterford.   

Certainly, you are looking at Essex here rather than Derbyshire.

Annette

The actual death entry reads:

Ontario, Canada Deaths

Edward Botterell  aged 88 died 26/4/1881 Carleton
Occupation -    CS
Cause of death - Fall by accident, 10 weeks
Informant - Ed. Botterell, Ottawa
Registered - 20/7/1881.
Denomination - C of E

Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Edward Botterell, c1794-1881-Completed, Thank you
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 22 January 13 01:11 GMT (UK) »
Annette:

Thank you very much for all of the information!

There was an Edmund Botterell who was living in Canada around the same time as Edward, but I haven't yet found a connection between the two.  It seems likely that they were brothers, for various reasons.

Thank you so much for providing all of the information.  It is greatly appreciated.