Author Topic: Thomas George BEILBY of Charleville QLD  (Read 12317 times)

Offline fastfusion

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas George BEILBY of Charleville QLD
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 23 January 13 05:10 GMT (UK) »
I will further add I did notice the discreptancy as to "second youngest daughter"  ; and
"eldest daughter"   between the two notices   and that leads me to believe that there is possibly another child whose name we dont know.

I also noted Norah drops her middle name when registering for the electoral roll and made certain of checking my facts as to the correct ronald etc etc....

This has been an interesting genealogy to track, and if the person who is after this information gets a subscription to ancestry.com  they will see many pictures of these folk and other adjoining parts of the extended families....

Well good luck in your quest

fastfusion
 :)

Offline fastfusion

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 23 January 13 07:35 GMT (UK) »
After having  a chat with Phillippa we determined there was a third child and this is>
Ian Thomas Beilby first appears in the  Electoral Years 1968/ 1972 in Queensland  (District:Ryan Subdistrict:Toowong)
as , a manager  appears with his wife Jill a typist at 2 Glenfrew St Kenmore
then appears in 1980 in New south Wales district of Mitchell sub district of Castle Hill at 9 Mornington ave Castle Hill still as a manager but Jill is a hd.

Offline tbeilby

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 12 May 13 03:17 BST (UK) »
My grandfather's name was Thomas George Beilby born in Charleville, QLD on the 01/10/1915 and died in Brisbane on 05/12/1997.
He married May Beilby (nee Whitford) born 26/05/1920 and died 10/05/2007.

As mentioned in an above post, one of his sons, my father, was also named Thomas George BEILBY born in Charleville on 31/01/1953.

My name is also Thomas George BEILBY, so I suppose I'm the third Thomas Beilby in the line.

Hopefully this helps.

Offline tina morana

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 12 May 13 12:46 BST (UK) »
A warm welcome to the forum. :)
It's just wonderful you have found this post and have a family connection.
All the best with your search.
Cheers
Tinam
Cornthwaite, Morana, Pearce, Gaffney, Hazlehurst, Milburn
This information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk"
or  "All UK census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk"

Offline fastfusion

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Monday 13 May 13 01:36 BST (UK) »
welcome to rootschat tbeilby from qld.....

please let me know if you require any further profiling of genealogy for your family;  and;  I am hoping that all posted on the forum to date is correct....

fusion

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Monday 13 May 13 07:35 BST (UK) »
Hi tbeilby
http://austcemindex.com/cemetery-inscriptions.php?id=395

This link in case you have not seen it, shows Monumental Inscriptions- with photos- for some BEILBYS

I have a resource which has further details of the wording on some of these.

If this is of interest, please let me know.

Sue
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline rtbrtb

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Monday 12 August 13 19:43 BST (UK) »
I note that there are a succession of items listed here following the search for Thomas George Beilby.  I know the answers to virtually all I have read - which information may be of use to researchers.  In short,  the succession goes as follows;

Thomas George (intended to be Thomas George but registered by someone who forgot the name order on the way into town as George Thomas) Beilby was the son of John Beilby, born Geelong, 1849 (John the son of James, born Swanland, Yorkshire - m. Baker).  This Thos. G. was the first of the Thomas George name in Queensland although the Victorian branch of the family, i.e. sons and daughters of James Beilby, had names virtually the same names as the sons and daughters of John - hence one must take care.  Queensland's first Thomas George (b. 1892) married Lily Denne and lived in his married years in Parry/West Sts., Charleville. He had three children, Norah (Wilkinson), Maryrose (Bell), and Ian Thomas.  His nephew was Thomas George, b. 1915.  And so, either Thomas George (1892) or Thomas George (1915) will be the Thomas George intially searched for.

Offline rtbrtb

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Monday 12 August 13 20:13 BST (UK) »
This has me thinking:

"Engagement Notice     (as hand transcribed from source)
Warren - Beilby - The engagement is announced of Ian Colin Warren eldest son of Mr and Mrs L N Warren of the Gresham Hotel Brisbane
to Norah Josephine second youngest daughter of Mr and Mrs T Beilby of "The Cottage" Galatea Street Charleville. Both are aged 19 and intend
wedding on the 10th of May. Bridesmaids are Rosemary Beilby, Joyce Spinster and Marion Warren. Best man is Dr Simpson of Dr Arriottis Surgery
also Lex Woods and Sid Fitzpatrick; flower girl is un - decided but Asmin Harding is expected to take the part.
Ref The Charleville Times Thursday3 April 1952."

This is sheer nonsense.  I do not recall Norah's (daughter of Thomas Geo.) middle name.  But 'Josephine'?  Sounds unlikely.  She was not the 'second youngest daughter' of Mr and Mrs T. Beilby.  She was the elder of Thos. George's two daughters.  In 1952, Norah was working in the Q.N. Bank in Charleville.  In 1952, there was a young teacher in town called Ian Warren.  However, in 1952, Norah and her father, Thomas, did not live at The Cottage, Galatea Street.  They lived on the corner of Parry and West Street.  In 1952, Norah would have been about 19.  I would have thought Ian Warren would have been a little older since he was teaching Commercial subjects in the Secondary Department of the school at that time.

What is certain is that no such wedding ever took place and certainly I never heard it spoken of - and I was at the house frequently enough.  Were I to take a guess, I'd say that the C'vlle Times notice was a hoax, an April Fool's joke - note the date of the newspaper - 3 April 1952.  What's more Mary Rose was Mary Rose or Maryrose, not Rosemary.  What I could say with certainty is that Thomas George, Norah's father, would have been ropable and ready to take a whip to whoever inserted the notice and to the Editor of the C.T. for publishing it.

So we have an address wrong, Maryrose's name wrong, I expect Norah's middle name is wrong - and how Dr Simpson would seem to have been involved with his name in this notice, I cannot imagine.  I can only assume that the notice got the town either talking or laughing for a day or two and was then promptly forgotten.  It must have seemed quite inconsequential to me since I have absolutely no recollection of it and since Norah and I were very close, an engagement to Ian Warren would have registered permanently since I knew them both.  (As for Norah's middle name, the record of her death in the Queensland Justice Department would set the matter straight.)  Sounds to me as if someone with only a vague knowledge of the personal details of the pair concocted the story.  I see Ian Warren's parents are listed as The Gresham Hotel, Brisbane.  That may be so, but I thought he came from Toowoomba or thereabouts - but on this point I could be very wrong. 

Offline rtbrtb

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Monday 12 August 13 20:32 BST (UK) »
"As I did say from the beginning Snr had one son named the same, and the two trove links given by aussie 1947 are the children of snr"

The elder Thomas George Beilby was T.G.B. Senior (b. 1892) - son of John Beilby (b. 1849).  The Junior T.G.B. (b. 1915) was the son of James Beilby (b. Stawell, 1880), elder brother of T.G.B. Senior. 

I note that one contributor states that Norah was the daughter of T.G.B. Junior.  He was actually T.G.B. Senior.

As for Norah's 'misfortune' regarding engagements, her misfortune lay in the fact that the newspaper notice of her engagement to Ian Warren was a hoax.