Author Topic: Elizabeth Way, Cambridge  (Read 3410 times)

Offline Lisajj

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Exhall Colliery & Brickworks - very rare photo
    • View Profile
Elizabeth Way, Cambridge
« on: Wednesday 23 January 13 17:40 GMT (UK) »
I'm trying to find a street map that covers Haig Road and Cam Road, which became Elizabeth Way 1970c.  My father in law was born in  Haig Road, so we'd like to find out exactly where the house would have been.
Any ideas where I can find maps and/or photos?

thanks

Lisa
Johnson, Crankshaw, Burdett, Shaw, Dawson/Dulson, Whitebread/Whitbread, Drane, Hyett, Holtaway, Thompson, Bodell, Livermore, Gee, Vernon, Smith......the list goes on....and on...and on....

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Elizabeth Way, Cambridge
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 23 January 13 17:53 GMT (UK) »
From Wikipedia:

Elizabeth Way is a road in northeast Cambridge, England.
The northern part of the road in Chesterton was known as Haig Road and Cam Road, before it was linked across the River Cam by Elizabeth Way Bridge.
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline Selina

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 23 January 13 20:42 GMT (UK) »
Hi Lisa,

You can view the houses that were in Haig Road via Google Maps or Bing Maps.

Search for Elizabeth Way, Cambridge and going north the section that was Haig Road runs from Montague Road (Montague Lodge on the corner) on the left past Sandy Lane to where Elizabeth Way forks with Chesterton Lane/Road to the right.  Both sides of the road obviously.

If you know the number of the house where your father-in-law was born I might be able to see from my street directories what number Elizabeth Way it became and there are house numbers to be seen on Google.

Regards,

Selina
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Lisajj

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Exhall Colliery & Brickworks - very rare photo
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 23 January 13 21:53 GMT (UK) »
It was number 5.

If we can work out which house it is, that would be great.
Thanks
Johnson, Crankshaw, Burdett, Shaw, Dawson/Dulson, Whitebread/Whitbread, Drane, Hyett, Holtaway, Thompson, Bodell, Livermore, Gee, Vernon, Smith......the list goes on....and on...and on....

Offline JohnG_Swansea

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 24 January 13 00:24 GMT (UK) »
I'm trying to find a street map that covers Haig Road and Cam Road, which became Elizabeth Way 1970c.  My father in law was born in  Haig Road, so we'd like to find out exactly where the house would have been.

ErrorSPAM
REPORT THIS POST AS SPAM (Use 'Report to Moderator'). DO NOT CLICK ON ANY LINKS IN THIS POST. DO NOT REPLY TO THIS PERSON.
]Any ideas where I can find maps and/or photos?[/color]

thanks

Lisa
To see Haig Road as it was in times past connect to http://www.old-maps.co.uk/maps.html and enter the coordinates 546000 & 259600, press 'enter' and when the map has rebuilt select the map of 1926-1927 1:2500 and press 'enter' again.  When the map has rebuilt for a second time you will see Haig Road in the center of the screen and by using the magnifying glass it is possible to 'zoom in' one further level.

Secondly by opening Google Maps and moving to the northern end of the dual carriageway section of Elizabeth Way [the junction with St. Andrews Road] and then dragging the yellow "Street View" icon on to the map and looking to the north bound carriageway you will see No. 5, I wonder if that might be the property you have an interest in?

Regards, JohnG
Your National Flag/ Ensign can be added to the left-hand side of every post by using your Profile Settings
Base Project: Benjamin D. POPE, (Railway Constructor, Natal) b: 1853 Stretham, Ely, d: 1928 Bath, Som't
Current Project(2018): Cox, Somerset >>> Osborn, Natal >>> Broughton, Canada >>> three Daughters, Natal. Resolved in the Canada Forum another success for Rootschat.

Offline Selina

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 24 January 13 10:20 GMT (UK) »
Hi again Lisa,

I think No. 5 Haig Road became No. 65 Elizabeth Way.  On the West side (Montague Road side).

Using Google Street View you can clearly see No. 61 on a house and just make out the No. 63 next door so 65 should be the next house with the yellow paint above the window.  If you change the angle of view it has a red front door.  There is one more house then Sandy Lane.

I will pm you later with occupiers and house numbers to show how it the numbers changed.  Luckily several of the people didn't move over the years concerned!

Selina

Added:  No. 65 sold last year for £240,000.  See http://www.rootschat.com/links/0sq3/ for photos.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk