Author Topic: Henry R. WOOLNOUGH and/or William CADE circa 1860  (Read 2597 times)

Offline Stormybay

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Henry R. WOOLNOUGH and/or William CADE circa 1860
« on: Wednesday 23 January 13 20:17 GMT (UK) »
Hello
I am searching for William Cade who emigrated to Australia between 1851 and 1860.  A family myth is that he became "a great sheepherder". 
I think that he was a cousin of a Henry R Woolnough. 
My only evidence that comes from Australia is a notice in the Melbourne Argus in October 1860 requesting Wm Cade of Ipswich to contact H. R. Woonough on an urgent matter which I believe was news of the death of Wm's mother in England

If anyone has records for either of these people, I would appreciate what you have.

Thank you
S
Monmothshire:  HOUSE, THOMAS, EDWARDS
Somerset:  HOUSE
Norfolk:  SIMPSON, THOMPSON, GRAPES, SPOONER, LOWNE, HOOKS, FOX
Suffolk:  CADE
Essex:  UNDERWOOD, CADE, DARBY
London & Middlesex:  THOMPSON, COCKRAM, CADE, BUTT, BANNER, MIDDLETON, NORRIS, DUNN
Wiltshire:  BUTT, HOUSE, GILES
Leicestershire:   GREENWAY
Denbeighshire & Shropshire:  EDWARDS, POSTLE, ROBERTS, HUMPHREYS, MORRIS
Lancashire:  BANNER, COZENS

Offline fastfusion

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Henry R. Woolnough and/or William Cade circa 1860
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 23 January 13 20:31 GMT (UK) »
The only Henry R Woolnough that I could find in the whole of England was this entry>

Henry Robert Woolnough had his birth registered at the Shoreditch Registry in March Quarter of 1848 (2 402),  as to what happened to this chap thereafter one would need census or a christening  .......

:)

Offline fastfusion

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 23 January 13 20:37 GMT (UK) »
As for a W Cade>     freebmduk throws out the following

A birth registered in June Quarter of 1845  William Walker CADE , Ipswich ( 12 557)

There is evidence of the Cade family being around Ipswich  so I suggest that you look for any preceeding evidences of a W Cade prior to civil registration in 1837 or census to make sure you are tracking the chap aforementioned in your post....

best I can offer at this point in time ...  others may find a census for you

marty

Offline fastfusion

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 23 January 13 20:41 GMT (UK) »
and now like a dopey fella i can be i should have checked further down the list....

William Walter Cade dies in September quarter of 1882 at Ipswich aged 36 ( 4a391),

so he may very well have immigrated to Australia interim and returned to UK for the death of his mother   never to return to Australia......

It is something only you will know about from the notice of the paper and the mother etc etc

best I can do at this stage for a solution

Offline Stormybay

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 23 January 13 20:45 GMT (UK) »
Hello
Thank you for a fast response...Wm Walker Cade born 1848, was the nephew of this William 1832 of Ipswich.  I am good with the English chapters for this family but have nothing that has worked for the years after William arrived in Australia.  I know that there a several Cade families in Australia - some are the descendents of Edwin Arthur Cade but they emigrated to Australia almost a century later.  I am pretty sure that this William arrived in Australia in the late 1850's.

S
London & Middlesex:  THOMPSON, COCKRAM, CADE, BUTT, BANNER, MIDDLETON, NORRIS, DUNN

Offline rosball

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • John Scott Henderson 1853 Scotland -1919 Vic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 23 January 13 20:46 GMT (UK) »
Hi Stormy Bay,
   Can you tell us their parents' names please?  And perhaps their previous occupations ...

From a quick glance at trove there were lots of Henry Woolnough's around - Henry Robert Woolnough was a postmaster at Fingal, Tas and there was a chemist and a music teacher.   And there is a marriage notice for a Kate Emma Woolnough who was daughter of late Henry Woolnough,architect of Ipswich, England. (sounds promising)

regards
   Ros
Let's not tolerate bullying !
Herrington Kent  Henderson Scotland Kerr Scotland Reston Scotland  Smith Scotland  Kellow Cornwall  Doney Cornwall  Wadeson Lancashire  Whiteley Yorkshire Gregan Ireland

Offline Stormybay

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 23 January 13 20:55 GMT (UK) »
I am good with the Cades - the parents of William were Robert and Fanny and they remained in Ipswich.  Robert taught school but was trained as a printer.  William, the son was a compositor in Ipswich in the 1851 census.   I do not need any help with William up until the time he left England and went to Australia.  I am pretty sure that he did not come as a convict but I believe that as a young man in his 20's, he chose to go off into the world to seek adventure.  I also believe that he went to Austalia and never went back home.  He made a new life in Australia - and I am guessing that he would not have been looking for work in the printing business. 

I am also good with the Woolnough family in England and I do understand that a large group of Woolnoughs went to Tasmania. The Henry Woolnough that I am looking for was the son of Charles and Christiana Woolnough. 

What I am looking for are Cades who would be the descendents of William Cade who are in Australia. 

Offline fastfusion

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 23 January 13 20:59 GMT (UK) »
I found that in doing research for Australia pre Federation in 1901 I went straight to my Public library and did a few things,   I looked at all the microfische cover to cover of BMDs and other interesting topics they hold,     then I went to the Post Office Directories, Alamacs and Gazettes and did tracking of any under the surname....

Once I found where the souls were I then asked the librarians for extra resource.

I find a darn lot of colonial Australia is not listed on the net and its better to spend a day at the State Library

best i can offer on additional sources....

m

Offline rosball

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • John Scott Henderson 1853 Scotland -1919 Vic
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 23 January 13 21:25 GMT (UK) »
I found the notice you mentioned http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article5691567
and it says William Cade or Sinclair ...  so there is a possibility that he was known as William Sinclair?

And if William was born 1848 then isn't he rather young to be emigrating in 1851-1860 ???

regards,
   Ros

adding : no sorry you say he was born 1832 - got confused
Let's not tolerate bullying !
Herrington Kent  Henderson Scotland Kerr Scotland Reston Scotland  Smith Scotland  Kellow Cornwall  Doney Cornwall  Wadeson Lancashire  Whiteley Yorkshire Gregan Ireland