Author Topic: John Lawlor & Mary Watters married 1903  (Read 3942 times)

Offline amaris

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
John Lawlor & Mary Watters married 1903
« on: Saturday 26 January 13 01:03 GMT (UK) »
Married at St Mary Pro Cathedral 1903  Found them in 1911 Census living at 63.2 Capel Street, Dublin with 3 surviving children - John bc 1904, Joseph bc 1907 and Christina bc 1910. 
Attempting to locate further children and extended families etc. 
Some records have surname as Lalor/Lawler 
I appreciate any help/ideas   Still looking through the Electoral rolls for 1939 and am at a loss as to where I should look further 
Thank you
Amaris

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: John Lawlor & Mary Watters married 1903
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 26 January 13 09:30 GMT (UK) »
Attempting to locate further children and extended families etc. 
Some records have surname as Lalor/Lawler 
Still looking through the Electoral rolls for 1939 and am at a loss as to where I should look further 

Unfortunately there's no simple way to search forward, since the online parish records tend to finish up by 1900, sometimes earlier. You would have to take a chance and order possible civil certs based purely on likely names and location, to check for births of other children, or their later marriages.

From the late 1920s the online version of the index includes mother's maiden name, which can help the search for births, particularly with a relativity uncommon maiden name like Watters, although possibly a little too late for this couple. The index books in the GRO research room in Dublin contain the maiden name from about 1904.

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 26 January 13 10:52 GMT (UK) »
working back in time, here's the marriage you mentioned :

Marriage of John Lawlor and Mary Waters - 27 September 1903

John's current residence is given as 48 Capel St, and Mary's is transcribed as Rullen St - although I think it looks more like  Rutland St., which is off Summerhill and east of St. Mary's.

John's parents are listed as John Lawlor & Mary Keogh also living at 48 Capel St., and Mary's as Michael Waters & Anne Dunn living in Queen's Co. (Laois). All four parents seem to be alive at the time.

Both witnesses are also residents of 48 Capel St.

Several boarders appears at 48 Capel street on the 1901 census house, and both John and Mary are listed along with are several other Lawlor and Dunne individuals.

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline amaris

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 27 January 13 21:42 GMT (UK) »
Thank you once again, Shane.  I will apply for the marriage cert for Mary & John Lawlor.  I'm trying to make his mother's name 'Murphy' and by enlarging the Church record and a bit of imagination I think I see it!!!  This will  tie him in very nicely with his sister Julia and another branch of my family :)  fingers crossed .....

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 27 January 13 21:48 GMT (UK) »
A marriage cert will not show any details on mothers of the bride and groom and also doesn't records some of the other details on an RC marriage record like this one. It will show one detail not included i.e. occupations - generally for the groom and fathers, although sometimes one is recorded for the bride also

see : Details included on a Marriage Cert

S.
My Surname Interests

Offline amaris

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 02 February 13 20:49 GMT (UK) »
I wasn't thinking straight, Shane  :P  I'll see if I can locate a birth for one of the children and that should clear up the parents name.  Thanks for the input

Offline amaris

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 02 February 13 21:11 GMT (UK) »
Of course the birth cert is not much use to me if I'm after the parents of the bride and groom.  Back to the think room :-[

Offline Kate Lee

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 08 April 21 23:17 BST (UK) »
Hi, Just to fill you in on what I know about John Lawlor or more so Mary Waters. I am not aware of what year John died but Mary remarried and the man she married is my paternal grandfather Joseph Cassidy 1899 (Donegal Ireland) to 28th May 1940. As far as I am aware they did not have any children together (they married on 20th of April 1939. Mary & John had one other daughter called Patricia, whom married a Seamus Farrell in 1948. Seamus passed away 19th Nov 1986 and Patricia passed away 28th June 1991, they are both interred in Glasnevin Cemetery Dublin. I don't know much more at the moment as my searches are not being very informative. Oh Mary Lawlor died January 1960. I hope this helps you.

Offline dathai

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile