Author Topic: Tasmania Convicts  (Read 3400 times)

Offline KAYET

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Tasmania Convicts
« on: Saturday 26 January 13 02:06 GMT (UK) »
My husbands ancestors were both convicts.  James Thomas born 1812 Gloucester and and Jane Gardener born 1818 Shoredich.  Have found both of their convict records but have also found that as well as having my husband's ancestor George Thomas 1847 they had 3 other children one in 1845,one in 1851 and one in 1854 I think they just had m or f next to them.  I would presume that stands for male and female.  Have not been able to find any deaths for them thinking they may have died not longer after birth.  So cannot think of anywhere else to look.  Does anyone have any ideas.

Thanks in advance

Offline fastfusion

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: TASMANIA CONVICTS
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 26 January 13 02:36 GMT (UK) »
Is it possible to put more info up on the children,   names and places please?

thanks.....

:)

Offline Dundee

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 26 January 13 02:42 GMT (UK) »
Jane's conduct record also shows that she was delivered of an illegitimate child in December 1841.  The birth of that child is showing on the indexes as 'Charlotte'.

To find the names of the other children you would have to look for a baptism record at Tas. Archives because they would have been named then. 

What do you know about James and Jane?  Where they lived, died; where and when did George marry and die?

Debra  :)

Offline KAYET

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 26 January 13 03:42 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the quick replies.  My husbands ancestor George was born 13 Sep 1847 Hobart he married Catherine Dougherty in 1869 in Melbourne they had one child George in 1874. Catherine  died in 1879.  Then he remarried.  The only info I have is that one child was born on the 21 Nov 1845 Hobart, one 18 Aug 1851 and the third 9 Jun 1854.  Sorry yes I forgot about Charlotte.

I have to giggle when I think of my husbands father who has now passed away and the fact that he never mentioned about convicts in his ancestry, perhaps he was never told either.  It is interesting now but obviously looked down on in the past.

I have found that Jane died in 27 Apr 1859 and James who remarried after her death I think married an Emma Biddle in 1865 but not 100% sure of that.  James died 24 June 1872.

We hope to eventually go to Tasmania to see if we can get further info and be 100% sure about the info we have found online.

Also I have not been able to find any info about James where he live where he is buried etc, also I know that he was a tailor as was his son George.  As well I have not been able to find when George went to Melbourne.

Thanks

Offline KAYET

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 26 January 13 04:02 GMT (UK) »
Sorry forgot to answer another question.

The first child born in 1845 born in Hobart, George born in Hobart, child born in 1851 born in Launcestom and the last chid born in 1854  Hobart.

Thanks

Offline fastfusion

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 26 January 13 05:27 GMT (UK) »
hello there,

i checked two sources for data on this family.   
1. I checked anc    and got the following parable from a variety of references>

James Thomas who was  born 1814 Tasmania Australia (who probably appears in the convict musters with his namesakes)whos
spouse was  Jane Gardiner [otherwise known as Spinks] (who was  born 1820 Tasmania Australia  and died 27th  April 1859 Tasmania)
who married on the 14th October in 1844[number 870] gave issue to George Griffin Thomas on the 13th September 1847 in Hobart Tasmania.

I notice there is a James Thomas aged 66 with a birth year of 1816 ( which could be incorrect given the informants knowledge)has a death on
15th May 1882 and is buried in the Franklin St johns Anglican Cemetery at Huon Tasmania.( Reg number 248).

I notice a Charlotte Thomas aged 87 born circa 1786 dying on 13th November 1873 buried at the Northdown Anglican (private) cemetery at Latrobe Tasmania.

2.   i then went to family search.org    and used the search engine there , and lo'n'behold    I entered Thomas in surname box,   Tasmania in the "any" (place)

and ,    6 pages of entries come up so that equates about 120 listings regarding Thomas family in Tasmania. ( as I recall the old  IGI microfische did do Tasmania)>

https://familysearch.org/search/records/results#count=20&query=%2Bsurname%3Athomas~%20%2Bany_place%3Atasmania~

and hopefully that link brings you to the page 1 of results I found.

I dont at the moment know enough about the structure of your kin and dont wish to double track what u may already know,   so can u possibly see those pages if you havent seen them  to see if anything pops.....

best i can offer at this stage for assistance on your topic,  however,  the tasmanian archives have always been forthcoming to me about my convicts there and i assume u have been in contact.   Sometimes the convicts had bricks in the pavement in a town whose name escapes me....
Have a lovely holiday in Tassie when u go  and good luck with your quest

m

Offline fastfusion

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 26 January 13 05:29 GMT (UK) »
gggrrr the link doesnt come up   so u may have to do that manually...

::)

Offline judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 26 January 13 05:47 GMT (UK) »
I'm putting up some information which you probably already have but it may help in the search.  As you can see by what FastFusion has posted there are so many men of the same name that confusion is easy!
I'm assuming that your James THOMAS arrived on the Asia Feb 1836 (from Sheerness Nov 1835) and Jane GARDENER on the Edward.  I note their permission to marry was granted 18 Sept 1844. 

By 1846 convict muster he had his Ticket of Leave.

Cheers, Judith
DYER - Wilts, London, Somerset, MIDLANE - Hants, Wilts, SONE - Hants, WRIGHT - London, Hants, SEAGER - Deptford, DWYER, FERGUSON - Victoria, MASON - Woodford Vic, BALLARD - South Wales, GOULDBY - Lowestoft
"Time present and time past are both perhaps present in time future..." T S Eliot

UK Census information Crown Copyrightt, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline fastfusion

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Tasmania Convicts
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 26 January 13 08:21 GMT (UK) »
Post Script to my reply....... u will note whereas the folk u are tracking were convicts coming to tasmania....  in the world family tree link   the birthplace is tasmania so straight away one can see how others have got this family wrong>

http://trees.ancestry.com.au/owt/person.aspx?pid=77079160

even though years stated were correct.......  which i find unsettling