Author Topic: Street Party Date Please  (Read 3367 times)

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Street Party Date Please
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 26 January 13 13:46 GMT (UK) »
I would agree with Peace Party Celebration too...a shortage of men in the photo and as Brevitas has said...the female fashion.
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 26 January 13 13:48 GMT (UK) »
I would agree with a peace Party too...There is a shortage of men and as Brevitas has pointed out...the ladies fashion.
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline old rowley

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • first steps
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 26 January 13 14:23 GMT (UK) »
The image could be a VE celebration party for the children or a VJ one, both would have been held within months of each other, May/June for VE Day and August for VJ Day. The Surface Shelter to the right of the image which would have held up to 50 people and was used as a shelter by those living in the area as well as members of the general public and was designed to give some form of protection from falling buildings, air bursts and shrapnel, appears to be in the process of being dismantled rather than being built re start of scaffolding going up. Many such celebrations where held around the UK with most people supplying one thing or another be it food, soft drinks or someone doing a turn to entertain the children.

OR.
Claxton- East London & Essex<br />Cuthbert- Mile End East London <br />Edwards - East London & Essex<br />Goll- Norfolk<br />Harris-Mile End East London<br />Hurr - Suffolk<br />Law- Bethnal Green East London<br />Moll- East London<br />Robinson- Bethnal Green East London<br />Tait- Argyll & Glasgow<br />Thompson Shoreditch East london<br />Watson- Glasgow<br />Wood- Bethnal Green East London<br /><br />Local history interest; Noak Hill & Harold Hill Essex<br /><br />census information crown cop

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 26 January 13 14:26 GMT (UK) »
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 26 January 13 14:27 GMT (UK) »

My husband hates to admit it  ;D but he can clearly remember attending a VE party in Camden Town.

I have a photo of me as a wee baby on VJ day - waving a flag  ;D

refering to  ' butter rations  being  mixed with  something else ( can't recall  what) to  make  it go further '

Butter remained on ration until 1954 and they often mixed it with margarine to make it go further. I could always tell and wouldn't eat bread spread with it  <yuk>

Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Rachels

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 26 January 13 15:02 GMT (UK) »
If you could do a better scan then it just might be possible to read what the notice on the building says
FOR RESTORATIONS PLEASE SCAN AT 300-600 
Please do NOT use my restores without permission, unless you're the owner of the photo.  Some of my restores are on flickr.com ~ rachel sc

my computer is an iMac

BANCE, BALLINGER, CHEES(E)MAN, CONNOR, COOK, COX, CRUTCHLEY,
DAWSON, FLYNN, FOLWELL, FORGAN, FORREST, HARRIS, KING, LOOKER,
MIDGLEY, OATES, ROE, SIM(M)S, WHITTINGTON

Offline farmeroman

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 26 January 13 15:16 GMT (UK) »
If you could do a better scan then it just might be possible to read what the notice on the building says

I've tried, but this is the best I can do and still can't read it. It would have been cosy with 50 people in that shelter though!

I have noticed that there are a number of adults wearing badges or disks on their lapels which may or may not be relevant to the period.

Offline chinakay

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Our housegoof
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 26 January 13 17:46 GMT (UK) »
What you need to do is drag a box around just the sign and scan that area only, as high as possible like 1200dpi or even more. That should give you better use of the high-resolution without handing you a huge file.

Was going to agree with the 1940s clothing styles, as well :)
Moore/Paterson~Montreal
Moore/Addison~New Brunswick
Jubb/Kerr~Mirfield~Halifax~Moffatt
Williams~Dolwyddelan

King~Bedfordshire~Hull
Jenkins~Somerset
Sellers~Hull

Offline Chrisann

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 26 January 13 18:36 GMT (UK) »
I also think that it is a victory celebration rather than coronation. I was a tot at the time of the coronation (oh dear) but I clearly remember that it was a very rainy day (in S E Kent at least) so the party was moved inside (into a barn on the farm my family worked on) but that there was loads of bunting and all the little girls were wearing ankle socks with red, white and blue around the top and/or red, white and blue hair ribbons. This photo looks way too sombre for the coronation. Chrisann
(Staple, Ash next Sandwich, Chillenden, Eastry, Alkham, Shepherdswell) Knowler, Whitnall/Witnal, Laws, Rigden. (Ramsgate, St Lawrence, St Peter, Minster in Thanet, Garlinge)  Lawrence, Spel(l)man/Spillman, Baker, Collins, Cock