Author Topic: GRENADA: Fond Perdrix  (Read 1533 times)

Offline lorrainec

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Our sun worshipper!
    • View Profile
GRENADA: Fond Perdrix
« on: Saturday 26 January 13 20:34 GMT (UK) »
Hello
I am ever on the quest of finding info on the Humphreys family in Grenada, in the 1840-1900 range. I have it on some authority that the family lived at a house called Fond Perdrix until about 1900.  Has anyone any idea of how I can find info out re a house name?  It was in St. David's or St. Georges, Grenada.

I have sent countless letters to various agencies in Grenada hoping for some help and have received NOTHING as a reply. 

Any help is grately appreciated.  If you search my name, you will see other postings re Grenada!

Lorraine
Canada
Clewes - Canada
Humphreys - Surrey, Grenada, Canada
Clark - Scotland

Offline PKeithHarber

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: GRENADA: Fond Perdrix
« Reply #1 on: Monday 09 June 14 17:38 BST (UK) »
Dear Lorainec
I am doubly qualified to search Grenada, as a former husband ofa a Grenadian and a Canadian resident , now living in Brazil!
My wife was born at La Sagesse in St Davids in 1923m at which time her father, William Hurford Hagley was in charge,  His father, Charles Hagley of Devonshire, had owned several estates in St Davids, including Mounr Cassel where he died in 1926, leaving his estates to his sons who succeeded in losing them.  All except W.H., who was in Africa till he returned to run La Sagesse.   one Richard Clewes works for a NGO in Grenada and St Lucia and says his family used to own La Sagesse.  My father-in-law  W.H.Hagley  (now dead) said he was working there for the owner, Sir Joseph La Mothe...
Mont Perdrix appears in a Grenada Yearbook for 1901, as the property of a James Hancook (should be Hancock?).  No mention of a Humphreys family in 1901.
Any help?  email removed by moderator please use the pm system to exchange personal details and though in  Brazil I am in with touch wifh many Grenadians.
Yours Philip Harber

Offline lorrainec

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Our sun worshipper!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 10 June 14 00:10 BST (UK) »
I have emailed you!
Thank you!
Lorraine
Clewes - Canada
Clark - Scotland

Offline Sueengland

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 21 July 19 13:33 BST (UK) »
Hello Loraine and Philip

This is a long shot but looking for info onmy gt gt grandfather, Thomas Bishop, from Somerset, UK, who went to Grenada in approx 1865 with Thomas Hankey & Co and I believe worked on the plantatiin at La Sagesse, Requin and Marlmount. Charles Hagley, also from Somerset was a friend of Thomas Bishop. I think 15 farmers from Somerset went out to Grenada at about the same time. Im not sure if the Humphrey family was one of those families? My brickwall is in finding info from Grenada ... do you have any tips?

Sue

Offline lorrainec

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Our sun worshipper!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 27 July 19 20:50 BST (UK) »
Hi Sue and Philip
I have had NO luck at finding any information that definitivly puts my Humphreys family as owning/working on this plantation.   

Still hoping .....
Clewes - Canada
Clark - Scotland