Author Topic: Rodger Family in Ballintoy, Antrim  (Read 2112 times)

Offline DeeWhy

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Rodger Family in Ballintoy, Antrim
« on: Sunday 27 January 13 00:38 GMT (UK) »
Alexander Rodger's death registration record of 1864 in Greenock, Scotland revealed that he was born in 1787 and the 1851 Scottish census records his birth place as Ballintoy, Antrim, Ireland. His father's name recorded on his death was also Alexander and his mother as Catherine nee Rodger. As Alexander the younger was married in Scotland c. 1818 it is obvious that he moved to Scotland at some time prior to this. I have been unsuccessful in locating any digital source on the internet for information of the family in Ballintoy. As I reside in Australia what other sources are available for me to persue. 

Any assistance in this regard would be most welcome.

Peter

Offline scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • A tree full of life, a life full of branches!
    • View Profile
Re: Rodger Family in Ballintoy, Antrim
« Reply #1 on: Monday 28 January 13 12:09 GMT (UK) »
This 1803 heads of household Agricultural Census places some male Rodger/Rodgers/Rodgars in Ballintoy, albeit no Alexander:

http://www.scribd.com/doc/1787907/1803-Agricultural-Census-for-North-Antrim
"Trees without roots fall over!"

""People who never look backward to their ancestors will never look forward to posterity." - Edmund Burke

Don't just wait for the storm to pass, learn to dance in the rain.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious and however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at.”  Stephen Hawking

In a world where you can be anything, be kind .

Offline scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • A tree full of life, a life full of branches!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 28 January 13 12:12 GMT (UK) »
"Trees without roots fall over!"

""People who never look backward to their ancestors will never look forward to posterity." - Edmund Burke

Don't just wait for the storm to pass, learn to dance in the rain.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious and however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at.”  Stephen Hawking

In a world where you can be anything, be kind .

Offline DeeWhy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 28 January 13 22:36 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks for your assistance.
Obviously Alexander Rodger and his family departed Ballintoy prior to the above 1803 records.

Peter

Offline Elwyn Soutter

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 28 January 13 23:32 GMT (UK) »
You don’t say what denomination the Rodgers family were but in this case it may be academic because no denomination in Ballintoy has records that go back to c 1787. So unfortunately you are unlikely to find any record of Alexander’s baptism in church records.

There may be gravestones but otherwise frankly, it will probably be very difficult to get back much further than you have already got with that line. And such resources as are available for the 1700s eg registry of deeds records, are not on-line.
Elwyn

Offline macbun

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 29 January 13 10:23 GMT (UK) »
Hello Peter.
Can you just confirm that its the surname RODGER that you are interested in.
I have a marriage link to a Daniel RODGERS of Ballintoy.
The marriage was in 1903.

thanks

Paul
McLaughlin (Ballycastle, Omagh, Holywood). Kerr (Derry), Simpson (Antrim) Maguire (Fermanagh)

Offline DeeWhy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 29 January 13 23:03 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Elwyn I'm not sure what their religion was then but as you say it's all academic and just what I thought would be the case with the lack of records.

And to Paul the name has always been just RODGER in all of my research however one connot discount the fact that the spelling of names can change over the years. Just one of the frustrations we have to put up with in research. It's been an exhausting exercise given the number of errors I have uncovered by informants providing the incorrect information on birth and death records in Scotland.

Peter

Offline macbun

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 30 January 13 08:03 GMT (UK) »
Hello Peter.

I know what you mean, it can be a long hard task to get the info you need but worth it in the end.
Just to recap My Daneil Rodgers married my great granny Catherine (Nee Simpson) in 1903. He died the following year. I will order the death cert over the weekend. If you want a copy let me know and i will scan and send to you.
My Daniel Rodgers, we think appears in 1901 census,

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Antrim/Ballintoy/Maherboy/922341/

Good luck with your search and all the best

McLaughlin (Ballycastle, Omagh, Holywood). Kerr (Derry), Simpson (Antrim) Maguire (Fermanagh)

Offline DeeWhy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 31 January 13 00:30 GMT (UK) »
I appreciate your offer Paul however I do not believe it will be of any significance given the time separation of approximately 150 years.

Regards Peter