Author Topic: Stockport St Mary's Graveyard  (Read 11470 times)

Offline Sarco

• RootsChat Senior
  • Ancestor Archaeologist
    • View Profile
Re: Stockport St Mary's Graveyard
« Reply #9 on: Monday 28 January 13 11:25 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Pat, I'll look forward to hearing from you

Cheers, Darryl
SMEDLEY, Sawley DBY & Sydney NSW
PELLOW, Cornwall
OLSEN, Norway (yes I know, there is a lot of them!)

Offline Ray T

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 28 January 13 17:18 GMT (UK) »
The impression I get is that the gravestones have simply been used to to pave the area surrounding the church so I doubt whether there is any correlation between the actual grave and the current position of it's stone. That said, there are an awful lot of them there and still readable so you might be lucky.

If you would like a preview of the church, it's gates and the surrounding buildings, Daryl, get hold of a copy of the film "Yanks" which features a convoy of vehicles driving right past the place.

Offline millymcb

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 28 January 13 17:54 GMT (UK) »
I was there earlier in the year and there were not too many about. There were the flat ones as mentioned. What you should do though is visit the little history centre/museum inside the church. They have lots of interesting bits and bobs including lots of old photos -filed by locations in and around Stockport. I found my Dad in an old school photo from the late 1950s which was wonderful.

There are also lots of other museums/history centres in Stockport so there is lots to do. The market isn't what it was in its heyday unfortunately but in the shops surrounding it there are quite a few vintage shops to rootle through. And once a month there is a vintage market in the old market hall (think it is on a sunday) which is well worth a visit.

Milly
McBride (Monaghan, Manchester), Derbyshire (Bollington,Cheshire), Knight (Newcastle,Staffs), Smith (Chorley, Lancs & Ireland), Tipladay (Manchester & Yorkshire) ,Steadman (Madeley,Shropshire), Steele (Manchester,Glasgow), Parkinson (Wigan, Lancashire), Lovatt, Cornes & Turner (Staffs) Stott (Oldham, Lancs). All ended up Ardwick, Manchester
Census info is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline elzabels

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 28 January 13 22:27 GMT (UK) »
the film "Yanks"

MMMM! I remember going to watch them shoot that part of the film 1975?, had to do a couple of retakes...a car got in the middle of the convoy and as they were filmimg after 5.00pm and as most who live in the area know the airport becomes busy...you've guessed, they kept getting the planes coming in over Stockport in the shots!

Another place maybe Stockport Heritage library

Offline Sarco

• RootsChat Senior
  • Ancestor Archaeologist
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 28 January 13 22:56 GMT (UK) »
Thank you all for the very valuable tips, I'm sure I will have a fascinating day.

Regards

Darryl
SMEDLEY, Sawley DBY & Sydney NSW
PELLOW, Cornwall
OLSEN, Norway (yes I know, there is a lot of them!)

Offline millymcb

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 28 January 13 23:58 GMT (UK) »
ah Yanks...great excitement in town when that was being filmed.  And the Davenport cinema with the wirlitzer organ that rose up from the floor was in the cinema scene. Used to go there all the time and the lady would play tunes in the interval.

They use the market place for lots of filming these days.  Did anyone see Homefront on RV recently?
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2421324/

About Army wives.  The cafe they used to go to is in the marketplace and they were always filming outside the market hall.

Milly
McBride (Monaghan, Manchester), Derbyshire (Bollington,Cheshire), Knight (Newcastle,Staffs), Smith (Chorley, Lancs & Ireland), Tipladay (Manchester & Yorkshire) ,Steadman (Madeley,Shropshire), Steele (Manchester,Glasgow), Parkinson (Wigan, Lancashire), Lovatt, Cornes & Turner (Staffs) Stott (Oldham, Lancs). All ended up Ardwick, Manchester

Offline Ray T

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 29 January 13 10:41 GMT (UK) »
What you should do though is visit the little history centre/museum inside the church. They have lots of interesting bits and bobs including lots of old photos -filed by locations in and around Stockport. I found my Dad in an old school photo from the late 1950s which was wonderful.

There are also lots of other museums/history centres in Stockport so there is lots to do. The market isn't what it was in its heyday......

If you're intending to visit the "history centre/museum" in the church, check the opening hours before you go - its not open every day. As for other museums etc. Staircase house, about 50 yards away, is worth a visit and there are the air raid shelters on Chestergate (about a quarter of a mile away - mostly vertical!). Unless you've really nothing better to do, or simply want to see the magnificent Blue John window, one to avoid is the original museum in Vernon Park. Most of what it originally had is now at Staircase House and what's left is in a dark and damp cellar.

Further afield, you have Bramall Hall - which featured in the recent mini-series "Last Tango in Halifax" as did Stockport Market Place (the car crash). Also nearby, you have a couple of National Trust properties i.e.  Lyme Hall/Park - "Pride and Prejudice" with Mr Darcey's much talked about lake scene - and Quarry Bank Mill and the Apprentice house.

The market isn't a patch on what it was in its heyday but where is? I remember when it used to stretch up the hill past the church almost as far as the old rectory but nowadays they don't even bother closing the road.

Where did your dad go to school Milly? They have a couple of school photos of mine in there ......

Offline millymcb

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 29 January 13 15:34 GMT (UK) »
Ah yes - the air raid shelters... They are superb.  i would highly recommend a visit to those.  i also did the staircase museum which is quite nice and goes from roman days onwards.

I went to Great Moor Juniors which was lovely and then Priestnall School in Heaton Mersey - old Fylde Lodge as was. We were the first unlucky comprehensive entrants in 1974. Not the happiest memories I have to say! My brothers and my Dad all went to Stockport School/Mile End School which was a much better school and just at the top of our road.  I had to get two buses right across town to get to Priestnall.

The market used to be amazing... lots of little alleyways and strange little archways with rolls of fabrics and all sorts of exciting things in it.

Where did you go?

Milly

Offline Ray T

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 29 January 13 15:50 GMT (UK) »
I started off at St Anne's school on Sandy Lane in Reddish which is where the photos came from. They closed that one down (not my fault honest!) and I was transferred to All Saints on Manchester Road. We then moved to Hazel Grove and I spent a couple of years at the same school as my grandmother - Chapel Street - or Hazel Grove County Primary School as I think they preferred to call it (100 years old last year) - before going to Marple Hall.

My father went to Mile End school back in the 1930's.

Would "Fylde Lodge" have been in the large red-brick and render building on the corner of Priestnall Road and Mauldeth Road in those days? - rather than in the rambling modern monstrosity that's down the road today.

Sorry to hijack the thread Daryl. Anything you'd like to know about Stockport, please ask. My family has lived within 4 miles since at least 1790.