Author Topic: Harrison family of Churchill, County Monaghan, Ireland  (Read 8167 times)

Polly Lynn

Harrison family of Churchill, County Monaghan, Ireland
« on: Sunday 27 January 13 17:30 GMT (UK) »
Dear history fans,

I am researching James Harrison of Churchill, County Monaghan, Ireland, in order to name his 12 sons and two daughters.  I would enjoy hearing from anyone with an Harrison in his or her family.

Here are the 13 out of 14 children found.  Please cite me Polly Lynn (*) and then I cite my sources that way we are giving credit to all our relatives and helpers who have gone before us.

James Harrison was born about 1730s in County Monaghan, probably to William Harrison, also of County Monaghan.  William's parents are said to have come in from Ballynahinch, we are now thinking County Armagh (possibly not County Down as said elsewhere).  All of James's children who had children have Presbyterian descendants, except possibly the missing son and Bridget Harrison Monahan who was Catholic.  The 14 children of James and his three to four wives are:
1.  William Harrison (1761-1826) of New York City.  He was single. 
2.  POSSIBLY, MAYBE: Hugh Harrison (descendants say born about 1760, but since William was eldest, I say Hugh then was born about 1762.  IRE has that Hugh's probate was 1849, so death would have been just earlier than probate.)  Hugh Harrison was of Ballybay and of Churchill, County Monaghan.  Name of Hugh's wife unknown.
3.  John Harrison ( 1762-1764, died 1797 [IRE]) of Camoly Ball, County Armagh, today's United Kingdom.  Name of wife unknown.  However, after he died his children were raised by their grandfather Martin.  Was Martin a first name or surname?  Did John Harrison marry a Miss Martin?
4.  Thomas Harrison (no dates, but guessing born about 1764-1766, died by 1750) of Churchill, County Monaghan, Ireland.  Name of wife unknown.  However, Thomas's only daughter named her eldest daughter Jane.  There are quite a few Janes among Thomas's descendants.
5.  James Harrison (born 1767 OR 1778.  On tombstone was 1767.  On ship passenger list was age that would give 1778, died 1849) James was of Smithville, Chenango County, New York.  James Harrison [the younger] married Elizabeth Kinnier.  There is a Kinnear genealogy (book).
6.  probably the sixth brother, as a New Zealand source said John was one of six brothers and two sisters.  We do not know the name of this son.  I would love to hear your suggestions.  The Alexander Harrison in County Monaghan was of County Cavan.  The Francis Harrison born in Ballybay was the son of #2, Hugh Harrison.  Other guesses?  Who was the missing son of James Harrison of Churchill?
SECOND MARRIAGE APPEARS TO OCCUR HERE.  Clue is there are 9 years between the births of James and the next child, Joseph.
7.  Joseph Harrison (about 1776-1844) of Smithville, New York. U.S.A.  He married Margaret Anderson.
8.  Robert Harrison (about 1778-March 1844) of Moy House, Moye, County Monaghan, Ireland.  Was he [also] the Robert Monaghan of Monaghan Parish who was farming flax in 1796?  Perhaps not the same man.  What do you think?  He married Mary McBirney.
9.  Samuel Harrison (about 1779-1835) of Smithville, Chenango County, New York, U.S.A.  He married Elizabeth Sturgeon.
10.  Mary Harrison Hutchinson (about 1781-after 1865 New York state census) of Argyle, New York, U.S.A.  She married Alexander Hutchinson of County Cavan.
11.  George Harrison (about 1782 to 1870) of Churchill, County Monaghan, Ireland.  He married Margaret McBirney.  He was a linen manufacturer and elected to the Poor Law Union [board] just before the Great Hunger.
12.  Arthur Noble Harrison (born between 1783-1786, and died 1854) of Argyle, Washington County New York, then of New York City, New York.  He was NOT the Arthur Noble Harrison of Camily Ball.  That was his nephew, son of John #3 above.  Arthur Noble Harrison married Jane Phillips.  Was she related to the Phillips family of Argyle, Washington County, New York?  I do not know.
WOULD THIRD MARRIAGE FIT IN HERE?
13.  Andrew Harrison (about 1788, died 1849) of New York City.  He remained single.
14.  Mrs. William Monahan of we don't know where.
Was Mrs. William Monahan named Bridget?  There is a Mrs. William Monahan (Bridget) of Brooklyn, New York who had at least two sons, including a John Monahan who was Catholic.  In the 1840 U.S. census this wife of William Monahan of Brooklyn, New York, was born 1792-1797.  By 1850 she had cut a decade off her age, typical of Harrison women.
Researched by relatives of Polly Lynn and by her

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

New members must make at least three postings before being allowed to use the PM facility.
See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

Offline Polly Lynn

• RootsChat Extra
  • Harrison
    • View Profile
Re: Harrison family of Churchill, County Monaghan, Ireland
« Reply #1 on: Monday 05 September 16 10:43 BST (UK) »
Update to message of 27 January 2013:
It seems James Harrison of Church Hill, Co. Monaghan, had 14 children, 11 boys and 3 girls.  (delete 2)  Hugh Harrison of Ballybay was not his son, but his second cousin.  (add)  Jane Harrison Monaghan (#14 wife of Gilbert Monaghan) was third daughter.
Harrison

Offline HarrisonIreland

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 28 October 18 18:47 GMT (UK) »
My Great Grandfather was John George Harrison and his Father John W Harrison both were lighthouse keepers so not sure where they originated from - if you have and leads please leads please let me know

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 28 October 18 20:40 GMT (UK) »
My Great Grandfather was John George Harrison and his Father John W Harrison both were lighthouse keepers so not sure where they originated from - if you have and leads please leads please let me know
John George's father was George W Harrison.
Marriage 1879 of John George.
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/marriage_returns/marriages_1879/11075/8052731.pdf
Related thread https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=802597.20

Offline Polly Lynn

• RootsChat Extra
  • Harrison
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 09 October 21 15:35 BST (UK) »
Hello, Sinann,

How are you?  Where were those lighthouses?  Were your Harrisons sailors, ship captains, trained as lighthouse people, electricians?  My family did not have a sailor, ship captain, lighthouse keep (or even a person who lived on a coast), but had one electrician in New Zealand.

I looked for John George and John W.  I do not have the younger man, John George in my County Monaghan tree.  I do see five or six John Ws.  They were Wesley (so Methodist), 3 Williams, and a Wilson.  If you could find the meaning of your W. in John W. it might help narrow things down.  Most of my John Ws went to Virginia.  Is that were your family was?  Those John Williams are in the genealogy by John Houston Harrison, Settlers by the Long Grey Trail.  It is available for sale through Amazon.com; it can be reprinted by Amazon cheaply, not worth buying the expensive original; they have the same text.

Now over in my County Down tree I see two John Georges.  One died in WW something, young, unmarried.  The other was married Ellen Beatty in Donaghcloney.  I have not connected them to my family or another family either.  We have DNA tested Harrison families in the area.  One big family is the Harrisons of Seagoe Parish (kind of counties Down and Armagh) and they may or may not include Donaghcloney (Down or Armagh, not clear).  You could look on a website called Harrison DNA Project that lists all the different Harrison families worldwide.  You could search the word Seagoe and look down in lineage 83 for that Seagoe family.  There is not such person as Polly Harrison and I should put you in touch with a member of the Seagoe family; I am not in that family.

Polly LYNN
Harrison

Offline Polly Lynn

• RootsChat Extra
  • Harrison
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 09 October 21 15:40 BST (UK) »
Yea, lineage 83 has two branches of Donaghcloney, Down.  See Harrison DNA project, clock on patriarchs, see about 90 different Harrison families and all their male descendants down to 1900.

Polly LYNN
Harrison

Offline Polly Lynn

• RootsChat Extra
  • Harrison
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 09 October 21 15:44 BST (UK) »
Hallmark sent you a link for a John Harrison lighthouse keeper, one born in Belfast.  I would go with that man.  Good job, Hallmark.

I do not think I have followed a Belfast Harrison family.  I have followed Harrisons in Down, Armagh, Monaghan, and Cavan.
Harrison

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Muckish the flat-topped mountain
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 09 October 21 16:45 BST (UK) »
Now over in my County Down tree I see two John Georges.  One died in WW something, young, unmarried.  The other was married Ellen Beatty in Donaghcloney.  ..............................  One big family is the Harrisons of Seagoe Parish (kind of counties Down and Armagh) and they may or may not include Donaghcloney (Down or Armagh, not clear). 

Is this the marriage in 1894?
John George Harrison to Ellen Beattie. Both living in the townland of Banoge.
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/marriage_returns/marriages_1894/10578/5853501.pdf
https://www.openstreetmap.org/relation/4771114#map=13/54.4339/-6.2741

Seagoe parish takes in a large part of Portadown and Craigavon but does not include Donacloney. It has it's own parish centred on the village itself and neighbouring Waringstown.
https://www.townlands.ie/armagh/seagoe/
https://www.townlands.ie/down/donaghcloney/

KG

Researching: Cuthbertson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Australia; Hunter – Co. Derry; Jackson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Canada; Scott – Co. Derry; Neilly – Co. Antrim & USA; McCurdy – Co. Antrim; Nixon – Co. Cavan, Co. Donegal, Canada & USA; Ryan & Noble – Co. Sligo