Author Topic: William Knox (Poet) link to John Knox reformer?  (Read 5955 times)

Offline Tom Langley

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: William Knox (Poet) link to John Knox reformer?
« Reply #18 on: Friday 01 March 13 11:31 GMT (UK) »
Hello! Where was he from exactly? I expect the do all join up eventually
Langley, Broughton, Taylor, Broad, Cooper, Owen, Bennion, Yorke, Knox, Norcup, Holland, Brookes, White, Davies, Huntbach, Bowler, Barnett.

Offline christiek

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 02 March 13 21:36 GMT (UK) »
Flodden near Coldstream, so 30 miles away from the area you are searching in, but considering over a couple of generations they'd moved 25 miles in order to take up Blacksmith positions, I wouldn't say it's outside the realms of possibility that if I go back a generation or two that they will end up joining up with the Knox's of the Selkirk area. What I've been surprised by is that Knox actually wasn't that common a name in the Northumberland/Borders region.
Knox's of Bamburgh/Wooler/Scotland?,
Smith's of Beadnell/Berwick-upon-Tweed/Ord
Hastie's of Berwick-upon-Tweed
Vosts of Newcastle-upon-Tyne
Poots of Northern Ireland
Hydes of Northern Ireland

Offline christiek

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Saturday 02 March 13 23:20 GMT (UK) »
I think I have placed my James Knox's mother May Knox in Selkirk on the 1841 census, birth date around 1798. This is my first foray into family history research in Scotland, my family have been skirting around the Northumberland/Borders region for about 150 years so this is all new to me and I think I'd need to verify it before I could conclusively say.
Knox's of Bamburgh/Wooler/Scotland?,
Smith's of Beadnell/Berwick-upon-Tweed/Ord
Hastie's of Berwick-upon-Tweed
Vosts of Newcastle-upon-Tyne
Poots of Northern Ireland
Hydes of Northern Ireland