Author Topic: Family Bible found YEARSLEY family USA  (Read 9407 times)

Offline ken1950

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Family Bible found YEARSLEY family USA
« on: Tuesday 29 January 13 11:26 GMT (UK) »
I found a family Bible at a lawn sale. Name---William T E Yearsley born 1844 .Married to Mary Elcie Howd. 1864.born 1841. Family pictures and records.

Offline HeatherLynne

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Family Bible found YEARSLEY family USA
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 29 January 13 13:11 GMT (UK) »
Hi Ken and welcome to Rootschat! 

Sadly they're not my family but I tried searching for their marriage and couldn't find it in the UK.  As you say lawn sale I guess you're somewhere warmer and less soggy than Britain!  Is there any indication where they lived? 

Heather  :)
Rassell - South Hayling/Portsea/Chelsea,  Hellyer - Totnes/Islington,  Roots - Hackney,  Edden - St Pancras

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 29 January 13 13:49 GMT (UK) »
Welcome to rootschat Ken.

This looks like an interesting challenge.

Is there much information about the family included in the bible? If so, could you please give details - any names, corresponding dates and places will help anyone find living descendants, if that is what you hope to do.

Did you find this bible in the USA?

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 29 January 13 13:54 GMT (UK) »
Not a particularly common surname, mainly concentrated around the counties of Cheshire/Staffordshire/Lancashire. Does your bible tell us where William Yearsley was born?

There are some Yearsleys in the 1850 American census but I couldn't see a William with middle initials TE. Nor can I see an obvious William with wife Mary in the 1870 census.

I will await a reply before continuing the search.  :)

Offline mosiefish

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 29 January 13 14:03 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

There appear to be a couple of family trees on Ancestry.  William T E Yeardsley born West Troy Albany, NY 1844 and died 1917. Mary Howd born Saratoga Co. NY born 1842 died 16th April, 1893 West Troy, Albany. 

Mo
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Lancs: Harrison, Entwistle, Devine, Grundy, Ashworth, Freeman, Jackson, Rushton
Cornwall: Rich, Binney, Peak(e)
Devon: Martin, Walter(s)

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 29 January 13 14:12 GMT (UK) »
They look very promising.  :) There is one in the 1870 census born West Troy but he was born in about 1812. His wife appears to be Sarah.

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 29 January 13 14:31 GMT (UK) »
There's a William F with wife Mary E in the 1880 (I spotted him in the 1850 with his family but ruled him out due to middle name F). He fits best age wise with the 1844 birth as per the bible. He is a Harness maker. The William with wife Sarah also appear in 1880.

Offline ken1950

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 29 January 13 17:13 GMT (UK) »
The T E stands for Ten Eyck.. Listings are Lizzie Jane born 1866--Harvey warmer Howd Yearsley born1870--Charles Albert Howd Yearsley born 1870--William Aurthur Yearsley born 1876.. I'm guessing They were born in New York State. Nothing listed of births before these dates. When i went on this site i didn"t relize i was on a UK site,but everything i look up on these names brings me to the UK.Theres two pages of pictures and i"m trying to read the captions under the pictures.I'm going to get someone that can see better than i to read them and they will be posted. I just wanted to find someone that might want this bible. It got me interested in my own family that is traced back to Ireland,england and Scottand. (McKee family)

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 29 January 13 23:13 GMT (UK) »
Hi Ken, Yes this is a UK site, but there are members worldwide and forums that cover the USA, so we should be able to dig something up for you.

If a Yearsley family member happens to search for a family name they will probably find this thread, so even if we can't find a direct descendant, they may still find you one day.

We often have challenges like this on rootschat to reunite family with precious items. I'm sure the photographs will be especially interesting for anyone with connections to the Yearsleys.

If you are unable to decipher some of the writing, you can always post the relevant bits here for us to have a try.

Very unusual middle name Ten Eyck. It has got me curious.  :) So William TE Yearsley is the earliest birth in this book at 1844? As you say, it appears to be an English surname, so it will be interesting to work out who was the first Yearsley to come to the USA.

I know you have posted this in the correct forum (Artifacts/Family Bibles) but you may get a better response and forum members with more knowledge of how to research this family if this was on the USA forum. I will leave it to a moderator to decide.**

It's a good thing that you are doing to try to reunite this bible with family. I wish you luck.

* Moderator comment: topic moved to USA board - I agree that it would seem most suited there :) *