Author Topic: Family Bible found YEARSLEY family USA  (Read 9423 times)

Offline bpogoda

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Family Bible found YEARSLEY family USA
« Reply #54 on: Wednesday 06 November 13 19:54 GMT (UK) »
Hi, I have Yearsley roots.  I haven't put them all on my site, but here are some:  http://relusa.com/pgednew/famlist.php?surname=YEARSLEY&ged=pearce5_5.ged

It would be great to see the information that you have about them.  I would like to create a slideTrip.com of the Yearsley family, and it would be nice to have a copy of the pictures in the bible, and the scanned images of the pages.
Hi Larry,
I checked your website.  Your Yearsley family is from PA.  My Yearsley family is from Watervliet, NY.  As close as I can figure there were three different branches of Yearsley's.  Whether they're related or not, I don't know.  One branch in Pa, one in NY and one in Canada.  They all emigrated from Cheshire Co., England.  My Yearsley's were in NY State by 1787.  I see your surname is Maddock.  How are you a Yearsley?  Glen Yearsley in Canada wants to do DNA testing to see if these families are related. 
Barbara

Offline bpogoda

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: Wednesday 06 November 13 20:07 GMT (UK) »
A quick google throws up a lot of Ten Eycks/Teneycks - looks like it has German origins.
This is my family.  Ken has sent the Bible to me, and I'm thrilled.  No names under the pictures.  The NY State branch of Yearsley's came to the city of Watervliet, (used to be called West Troy) in 1785/87.  William and Elizabeth came with their children from co Cheshire, England, William, John, Jonas, George, Mary, Matilda, Alley & Eleanor.  George became a naturalized citizen and I found the information on their emigration from that record.   I've tried to find their origins, with no success. 
By the way, Ten Eyck/Ten Eyke is Dutch.  They were here in the 1600's and became a very prominent family.
Barbara

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: Wednesday 06 November 13 20:11 GMT (UK) »
A quick google throws up a lot of Ten Eycks/Teneycks - looks like it has German origins.
This is my family.  Ken has sent the Bible to me, and I'm thrilled.  ery prominent family.
Barbara
Great news Barbara. You are SO lucky. Treasure it.
Good luck with your continuing research.

Offline Glen A Yearsley

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: Wednesday 06 November 13 21:05 GMT (UK) »
Hi, I have Yearsley roots.  I haven't put them all on my site, but here are some:  http://relusa.com/pgednew/famlist.php?surname=YEARSLEY&ged=pearce5_5.ged

It would be great to see the information that you have about them.  I would like to create a slideTrip.com of the Yearsley family, and it would be nice to have a copy of the pictures in the bible, and the scanned images of the pages.
Hi Larry,
I checked your website.  Your Yearsley family is from PA.  My Yearsley family is from Watervliet, NY.  As close as I can figure there were three different branches of Yearsley's.  Whether they're related or not, I don't know.  One branch in Pa, one in NY and one in Canada.  They all emigrated from Cheshire Co., England.  My Yearsley's were in NY State by 1787.  I see your surname is Maddock.  How are you a Yearsley?  Glen Yearsley in Canada wants to do DNA testing to see if these families are related. 
Barbara

Hello Barb and Larry:
Larry the two Yearsley family groups are not connected in any way on this side of the pond ( North America ) although there may be some " Chance " marriages along the way that may suggest that there is. Your line has been extensively researched and the most reliable and comprehensive one that I know of is prepared by Frank Southcott of Pennsylvania - his research is on line at Roosweb.com. Frank also holds the records of another Yearsley researcher; Peggy Yearsley ( deceased ) , who resided in Erie, Penn and was a descendant of that line; many of her posts are archived on Rootschat.

Barbs line from Watervliet: a line that I have been researching for the past 2 years is also Rooted in Cheshire as is your line but, at this point the two have not been connected. In brief my Yearsley line has origins from Bristol, England with roots of over 300 years in the Forest of Dean, Gloucestershire and again, at this point in time we have no paper trail to connect the Yearsley's of Cheshire with the Yearsley's of Gloucestershire and Wales. It is in this light that we, myself and one other Yearsley, have started a yDNA study to see if in fact, the lines are connected genetically. To date, we have not had any success in saying that we are definitely linked.

I would be easy to say that there is a connection, but over time, an extensive amount of paper records have been lost or destroyed either by fire, age or by the appetites of mice so DNA seems to be the next logical step for inter - connection. A yDNA marker test is for male descendants who have male Yearsley lineage only, any other line maternally would not work. We are finding however, that through the DNA data base, there are other variants of the name ; ie Earlsy for example may be connected; there are others as well. You can imagine how the name over time was spelt and dealt with phoenetically at the ship yards when our forefathers left their homelands.

As for the pictures in the Bible that Barb now has, they would be of no use for your study and as it turns out they identity of the photos is speculative at this point as they are not specifically identified within the confines of the Bible. Barb may have a better viewpoint on that as time goes on.

To view what Frank Southcott has for your line, enter Yearsley's of Cheshire into the Rootsweb system and where you see his name come up click on the link or enter a specific name such as John Yearsley and Elizabeth Simcock and you will see many entries; His work can be trusted and I recommend him highly.

I hope this helps.
Glen A. Yearsley
Ontario, Canada
Yearsley Surname List Administrator

Offline Yasmina4

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: Wednesday 06 November 13 21:30 GMT (UK) »
So glad a family member now has the bible.

Roots chat is brilliant .  sandra

Offline bpogoda

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: Wednesday 06 November 13 23:07 GMT (UK) »

Hi Larry,
Barbara

Hello Barb and Larry:
Larry the two Yearsley family groups are not connected in any way on this side of the pond ( North America ) although there may be some " Chance " marriages along the way that may suggest that there is. Your line has been extensively researched and the most reliable and comprehensive one that I know of is prepared by Frank Southcott of Pennsylvania - his research is on line at Roosweb.com. Frank also holds the records of another Yearsley researcher; Peggy Yearsley ( deceased ) , who resided in Erie, Penn and was a descendant of that line; many of her posts are archived on Rootschat.

Barbs line from Watervliet: a line that I have been researching for the past 2 years is also Rooted in Cheshire as is your line but, at this point the two have not been connected. In brief my Yearsley line has origins from Bristol, England with roots of over 300 years in the Forest of Dean, Gloucestershire and again, at this point in time we have no paper trail to connect the Yearsley's of Cheshire with the Yearsley's of Gloucestershire and Wales. It is in this light that we, myself and one other Yearsley, have started a yDNA study to see if in fact, the lines are connected genetically. To date, we have not had any success in saying that we are definitely linked.

I would be easy to say that there is a connection, but over time, an extensive amount of paper records have been lost or destroyed either by fire, age or by the appetites of mice so DNA seems to be the next logical step for inter - connection. A yDNA marker test is for male descendants who have male Yearsley lineage only, any other line maternally would not work. We are finding however, that through the DNA data base, there are other variants of the name ; ie Earlsy for example may be connected; there are others as well. You can imagine how the name over time was spelt and dealt with phoenetically at the ship yards when our forefathers left their homelands.

As for the pictures in the Bible that Barb now has, they would be of no use for your study and as it turns out they identity of the photos is speculative at this point as they are not specifically identified within the confines of the Bible. Barb may have a better viewpoint on that as time goes on.

To view what Frank Southcott has for your line, enter Yearsley's of Cheshire into the Rootsweb system and where you see his name come up click on the link or enter a specific name such as John Yearsley and Elizabeth Simcock and you will see many entries; His work can be trusted and I recommend him highly.

I hope this helps.
Glen A. Yearsley
Ontario, Canada
Yearsley Surname List Administrator

Glen, Have you ever seen it spelled Yeardley?  There was a family tradition that we were related/descended from George Yeardley, the 1st Governor of Virginia.  His name was daughtered out.  I haven't found anything to authenticate the rumor.  My theory is...........that's the Bible that went into the stove.
Barbara

Offline Glen A Yearsley

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: Thursday 07 November 13 01:53 GMT (UK) »
Hello Barb:
No, we have no connection to the Yeardley line of Virginia nor Yardley. I researched the Yeardley line many years ago and although it looks and resembles what could be - isn't. Good thought though.

Glen