Author Topic: Bagthorpe Isolation Hospital Nottingham  (Read 4129 times)

Offline Sparklet1000

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Bagthorpe Isolation Hospital Nottingham
« on: Tuesday 29 January 13 11:28 GMT (UK) »
My grandfather William Nelson Shelbourne was a patient here and died on 26th August 1940. I'm trying to find where he is buried, but there appears to be no records of burial or cremation for him in Nottingham. Anyone know if patients at Bagthorpe were dealt with in a special way after death due to the nature of their illness?

Karen

Offline wisteria16

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Bagthorpe Isolation Hospital Nottingham
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 29 January 13 16:25 GMT (UK) »
Hi Karen,
     Have you tried looking in the Selston and Underwood cemeteries for the burial of your grandfather, Bagthorpe is a small village and I'm not sure if there is a cemetery there.  Another idea is where was your grandfather living before going into Bagthorpe?  perhaps he was returned to the district where he had been living before going there. I don't think his burial would have been dealt with in a special way as you suspect, but think you will find him in a local cemetery.
wisteria16

Offline Sparklet1000

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 29 January 13 16:53 GMT (UK) »
Thankyou so much for getting back to me. My mother was 15 at the time of the funeral and has a rather muddled memory of the day. Apparently there was a family grave for the Shelbournes at Basford where he was born. I have investigated this but there is not record there. She also mentioned Canning Circus Cemetary but again this drew a blank. His death certificate says he lived in the city centre in Dryden St. As my mum is nearing 90 it has become a bit of a quest to find him! At the time of his death age 46 he was estranged from the family so many facts and addresses are a bit vague. I'll look into your suggestions of Selston and Underwood.
Thanks again

Offline Nottschick

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 29 January 13 17:35 GMT (UK) »
I agree with Wisteria 16 about Selston and Underwood churchyards.  I had relatives in Bagthorpe for many years and they were there.  I found the Churchwardens particularly helpful in looking at their records.

I saw that William's death was registered in Nottingham, which would suggest that he didn't die at Bagthorpe as that comes under Basford reg district.

Good luck with your search.

NC. 

Offline Sparklet1000

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 29 January 13 19:20 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for your suggestions NC I'll certainly look into getting in touch with church wardens.
Karen

Offline wisteria16

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 31 January 13 16:56 GMT (UK) »
Hi Karen,
     Just a few words regarding the death of your grandfather.  You didn't mention if you had his death certificate, if you haven't got a copy it might be worthwhile doing so as this could give you quite a lot of information and help to pinpoint where he could have been buried.
wisteria16

Offline Sparklet1000

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 31 January 13 20:30 GMT (UK) »
Thank you again, have got the death certificate and have been in touch with an archivist from Nottingham Council who is helping me..

Will let you know how it goes.
Karen

Offline Christineb29

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 07 February 13 18:05 GMT (UK) »
Bagthorpe Isolation Hospital is nowhere near Bagthorpe the village nor Selston - it was in fact in the Sherwood area of Nottingham, it was a Workhouse and Infirmary until the 1920's I believe.  It is now the site of the Nottingham City Hospital. So the residence of your grandfather being city centre is logical. Sorry I can't be of more help with his burial.
Christine

Offline copperbeech5

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 07 February 13 22:54 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

I wonder if his death was in about 1935 (might be a bit late for the General Cemetery Canning Circus) if he might have been buried in Wilford Hill Cemetery,

Loughborough Road
West Bridgford
Nottingham
NG2 7FE

Just a thought.

Copperbeech5

Hutchinson - Nottingham.
Rowland - Nottingham.
Parkin - Co Durham/Nottingham.
Gardiner/Gardner/Gardener - Co Durham.
Drake - Derbyshire/Lincolnshire/Sussex/London?
Leighton - Derbyshire.