Author Topic: John Henry BERYMAN d 12/12/1912 at Quorn SA  (Read 1741 times)

Offline Abygail

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: John Henry BERRYMAN d 12/12/1912 at Quorn SA
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 03 February 13 11:23 GMT (UK) »
Hi Cando,
First up if I had the 'modify' link on my page I would amend the post accordingly.  Intially I left it (when I had been able to modify) to save having the same information posted (which hasn't happened)  It wasn't my intention to make future posts look 'silly'.  I apologise.
Thank you for the information in your last post, it contains information that is already known to the family,  what I'm trying to find is earlier and the possibility of children from Sarah from either husband although she was 39 /40 yrs old when she married the second and may well have been past her prime years.  The other is if John Berryman fathered children from his first marriage, we have one possible daughter but no birth record.   The alternative is she was born overseas and that would explain why I haven't found birth records here.  On that line his first wife may have died before migrating or on board coming out.
Aby
Durham - HARDY Ann, Mary, CLARKE William, Elizabeth, DABRON Robert, Thomas, Rhoda >1853
Tyrone- SEETON George, John; COULTER Mary>1919
Clonmel Tipperary - KELLY Daniel b1812 wed in Aust.1849 
Cornwell - Newton on Abbot area SYMON(D)S - George Harvie wife BALSOM(E) Mary b1795
Headford Galway - Bridget KING famine orphan and Tuam Workhouse
  Abygail

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: John Henry BERYMAN d 12/12/1912 at Quorn SA
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 03 February 13 21:21 GMT (UK) »
Yes your family may have the information but those attempting to help you, have not.  It is often the small details that lead to further information.

I suggest using primary records instead of assumptions.

From my last post

SMITH Joseph Henry
Father John Charles   Mother Unknown  PARTRIDGE
At Merbein  79 years  1955  Reg#23263

and Harold's

SMITH Harold
Father Smith Joseph Henry  Mother Sarah  PARTRIDGE
At Mildura  78 years  1985  Reg#28886

Has your cousin the above death certificates?

It is rather difficult to help when the questions posted on the thread are not answered. 

Good luck with your research.

Cando

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Abygail

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 04 February 13 05:22 GMT (UK) »
Yes we have copies of these 2 records, and we believe the informant recorded only what they thought to be accurate, whereas in fact this information contradicts information from early as yet not purchase marriage records.   
For Harold Smith's  (born 1907) parents to be Joseph Smith and Sarah Ann Partridge the following does not add up.
What we do know is this;
1. Joseph Henry Smith and Sarah Ann Berryman were not married in 1907, this happened in 1914
2. Sarah Ann Berryman's husband, John Henry B. died 12/12/1912 and she was, if the Return Thanks notice can be believed, still living in Quorn and potentially with her husband at that time.
3.  I have searched for records to support a birth for Joseph Henry Smith with parents of both names noted on the death record.  We agree with the fathers name (John Charles) as this matches with the marriage record but have not found a Miss Partridge/Berryman and Mr Smith as parents to any children born around the calculated time Joseph Henry Smith was born (c 1976) with a 5 yrs either side leeway.   Can not find a birth recorded for a H Smith period.
4. I was/am hoping that there may be decedents from siblings of either party that had some additional information from the late 1800's and into the start of the 1900's that were willing to share what they knew.
5. I know spelling of names varied more than we liked but it happened and still happens, which is why I initially included the variation of Berriman.   There were a lot of Prussian/German immigrants into SA and Smith may have been anglicised just to make things even harder.  I really don't want to think about that area.
Aby
Durham - HARDY Ann, Mary, CLARKE William, Elizabeth, DABRON Robert, Thomas, Rhoda >1853
Tyrone- SEETON George, John; COULTER Mary>1919
Clonmel Tipperary - KELLY Daniel b1812 wed in Aust.1849 
Cornwell - Newton on Abbot area SYMON(D)S - George Harvie wife BALSOM(E) Mary b1795
Headford Galway - Bridget KING famine orphan and Tuam Workhouse
  Abygail

Offline smartchook

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 28 August 20 05:30 BST (UK) »
Hello there
John Henry Berryman was married to my grandmother Sarah Ann Smith, formerly Berryman, born Partridge.  She was born in Kooringa 18th September, 1867 and died in Merbein 24th March, 1962.  She was married to John Henry Berryman on 26th May, 1892 in Adelaide. 
This record states John was born in Cornwall and I believe he will be the John Berryman in the 1861 England and Wales Census aged 4, father Henry, mother Grace. 
I am still tracking how John got to Australia.  He was definitely a free settler. He was married to my grandmother for 20 years.  They did not have any children. 
The marriage cert stated he was a widower but I cannot find any facts on this.  Maybe married and widowed in UK? I have found a very informative obituary for him on Trove "Quorn Mercury" 17.12.1912.
I also have found quite a bit of his English heritage.  Then there is Gran's marriage to my grandfather, that's another story Joseph Henry Smith.  I can find his marriage certificate and death certificate and nothing else.  It states he was born in Robe but there is no BDM record of him.  Nor for their son, my uncle Harold Smith.  Harold's dob on his war record states dob as 26th June, 1907 Murray Bridge.  No official record of his birth or anything else.  Also, John Berryman was still alive at this time. I remember Joseph and Harold so I know they existed!! Unlike Sarah's line, that has been so easy to trace through the Partridge/Hatfield lines back to convict days. 
Thanks for your tips, hope mine lead you somewhere. Cheers