Author Topic: Help with navigating the changes, please  (Read 5181 times)

Offline Little Nell

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Help with navigating the changes, please
« on: Thursday 08 July 04 14:10 BST (UK) »
Ok everyone, I can see that changes have been made and I can see that grouping all counties under their countries saves on scrolling down, but can someone please tell me if I have missed some other instructions: if I click on a post that I would like to read (well, with a subject line "oooh fancy pants", one's curiosity is aroused), I get a grey colour for most of the screen.  If I scroll down and across, I can see a little box which says something like page 1 and the print button.  Further down, I can read the messages, but they go what seems like miles off the side of the screen.  So I am still doing lots of scrolling.  Have I missed something, or is it a test?

Nell
All census information: Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline PaulineJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Help with navigating the changes, please
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 08 July 04 14:17 BST (UK) »

I think it may be a browser 'Feature' particular to you. The messages do not appear like that to me. They now look as they did before, only without the dividing grid between messages.

What browser are you using? I'm using Avant Browser (over Internet Explorer)

Pauline
All census look up transcriptions are Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/
======================================
We are not a search engine. We are human beings.

Offline Little Nell

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 08 July 04 14:20 BST (UK) »
Hi Pauline,

Basic IE 5.5, no extras that I know of.  No changes made overnight - you can understand my puzzlement.

Nell

Offline trystan

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-founder
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 08 July 04 14:23 BST (UK) »
We have tested RootsChat on the following browsers so far:

Internet Explorer 6
Mozilla Firefox (or Firebird)
Konqueror

on the operating systems of MS Windows XP, and Linux (Fedora and SuSE)

The most common cause of browser problems are the "advert blockers" ( found as a "feature" for example, in Norton Internet Security). Turn off the advert blocker, or put RootsChat as a trusted site and try again.

TRY HITTING YOUR REFRESH/RELOAD BUTTON A FEW TIMES

Trystan

Send RootsChat a postcard:
RootsChat.com, Europa House, Barcroft Street, Bury, Lancashire, BL9 5BT
Admin Tip: Forgotten your Username or Password and would like to reply to one of these messages?  CLICK HERE to get a reminder.
AOL Users: You may need to 'cut and paste' any links you get in emails for them to work.

Offline Little Nell

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 08 July 04 14:44 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the ideas, Trystan.

Hit the refresh button a few times, closed down IE but still no change.  We have a Norton Anti-virus program running (but deemed so ancient at 3 years old that Symantec no longer support it!) plus Zone Alarm. I am not aware of any ad blockers running.  Tried two different operating systems, 95 and 98, unfortunately still the same.  I'll check with my other half when he comes home about the ad blocker.  Any other thoughts appreciated - sorry to be a nuisance!

Nell

Offline Judy

• My email address is not working at the moment.
  • RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 08 July 04 15:15 BST (UK) »
Little Nell:

Microsoft Windows Update site is a necessary routine maintenance job.  The site has downloads that will correct a lot of the bugs in the various Windows operating systems.  The downloads need to be done to update and protect your computer and keep it running smoothly.

(You need to be connected to the internet in order to do)

1.   Click on START,
2.   Click on CONTROL PANEL.
3.   Click on WINDOWS UPDATES.
4.   Your computer will be directed to the Windows Update Site.  Click on SCAN NOW.
5.   The site will then scan your computer and then list, in three categories, the updates your computer needs. 

A.   Critical Updates – Download all of these
B.   Recommended Updates – You’ll download most of these.  Read through what each download is.  Don’t worry if you don’t understand the lingo.  If you understand a few words of it….say, it mentions XP needs it, download it.  I can think of only one or two off hand you don’t want.  The one download mentions that if an error occurs on your computer, your error will be reported automatically to the Microsoft site…..that recommended update is a pain in the butt and not worth the annoying pop ups you’ll get.  Skip that download.  Another one you may not want has to do with various languages…..Chinese, Japanese; you can skip that one too.  One very good one is a download that will advise you that there are new critical updates….if you download this one, you won’t have to remember to go back to the site as often to check for new updates.  A pop up from the bottom right hand corner of your screen will advise you.
C.     Drivers – Download all of these.

The site will allow you to download many of the needed downloads a few at a time.  There are a few, though, that need to be done one at a time.  The site will advise you of that when you attempt to start downloading.  After the downloads are completed they will automatically install themselves.  Your computer will need to be restarted after each successful installation. 

Keep going back to the site until you have all the downloads completed.  Check back at the site once a month or so to check for new updates.  The Critical updates you’ll be advised of via pop up as I mentioned above.

Judy :)

Offline Little Nell

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 08 July 04 17:20 BST (UK) »
Hi everyone,

As I suspected, my other half confirms we have no ad blocker.  Also he regularly updates Windows, so should be no problems there.  Is anyone else experiencing problems like me and using Win 98SE with IE 5.5?  No other site I visit regularly is similarly stretched off the screen.

Will check my son's laptop later, he uses XP and IE 6 and report back.  While an upgrade might be everyone's first thought, my maxim is usually "if it ain't broke, don't fix it".  Well, it's worked ok so far!  All thoughts welcome.

Nell

Offline Boongie Pam

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Pa is Scottish, Ma is Welsh, Nose is Roamin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 08 July 04 19:36 BST (UK) »
Hi Nell,

I have exactly the same issue and also use IE5 & Windows 98.

It seems to be a wrapping issue with the actual threads as all other pages look okay.  It also looked okay at work where I was on NT and on a newer IE.

There shouldn't be any need to down load any patches as it is a change with the site.  I don't have ad blockers either.

It is making it unusable at home  :'(

Cheers,
Pam

UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
~~~~~~~~~~~

Dumfrieshire: Fallen, Fallon, Carruthers, Scott, Farish, Aitchison, Green, Ryecroft, Thomson, Stewart
Midlothian: Linn/d, Aitken, Martin
North Wales: Robins(on), Hughes, Parry, Jones
Cumberland: Lowther, Young, Steward, Miller
Somerset: Palmer, Cork, Greedy, Clothier

Online intermittently!

Offline trystan

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-founder
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 08 July 04 22:51 BST (UK) »
is it "only" ( ;) ) on reading messages that there is a problem? Do you see a similar problem when you look at your profile or personal messages or anything?

(The reason I ask is that I have different templates for different bits so I might have messed upon one of them)

Trystan
Send RootsChat a postcard:
RootsChat.com, Europa House, Barcroft Street, Bury, Lancashire, BL9 5BT
Admin Tip: Forgotten your Username or Password and would like to reply to one of these messages?  CLICK HERE to get a reminder.
AOL Users: You may need to 'cut and paste' any links you get in emails for them to work.