Author Topic: Any ideas where this was painted?  (Read 2004 times)

Offline KarenM

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Grandpa Stanley has the hanky in his pocket
    • View Profile
Re: Any ideas where this was painted?
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 05 June 05 01:13 BST (UK) »
Thanks everyone for all your help.  Now I know what an estuary is at least!

Jinks, I checked out Aberdovey and for some reason it looked familiar to me (I have never been there though).  I must get the copies of the rest of the watercolours, I think there is one that looks like that place.

Karen
Gandley (but known as Stanley in Canada)- Ireland to Birmingham<br />Ball, Kempson & Franklin - Birmingham<br />Shorter - Surrey<br />Dyer - Devon<br />Dawkins - Co. Cork, Ireland<br />Heffernan - Ireland
Huck - Alsace, France
Reinhart - Baden, Germany
Bowman & Ellis - England
Etheridge - Gloucestershire

Who all came to Canada in a little row boat, clap clap, clap your hands!!

Offline Jane Eden

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 05 June 05 01:36 BST (UK) »
My other half is a yachtmaster and has sailed all around Europe. He says that these are not fishing vessels and they are not inshore commercial vessels. These would all have been gaff rigged/cutter rigged etc. These type of vessels are square rigged man o' war/ frigate, sea going, square rigged naval vessels. They are also moored in a tidal river/estuary very much like the naval base on the River Dart near Dartmouth close to Dittisham. He would estimate the painting to be around the 1850s or even earlier. He doesn't claim to be an expert but this is from his experience of being around the seagoing fraternity for many years, (and many trips to Dartmouth).

Jane
Notts: Burrows, Comery, Foster, Beeson.
Derbys: Burrows, Comery, Smith  Lincs: King. 

Information contained within Census Lookups is Crown Copyright:  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline trystan

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-founder
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 05 June 05 01:47 BST (UK) »
kmo,

The mountains are too high for Milford Haven I would have thought (from memory) - I could be wrong though

Trystan
Send RootsChat a postcard:
RootsChat.com, Europa House, Barcroft Street, Bury, Lancashire, BL9 5BT
Admin Tip: Forgotten your Username or Password and would like to reply to one of these messages?  CLICK HERE to get a reminder.
AOL Users: You may need to 'cut and paste' any links you get in emails for them to work.

Offline KarenM

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Grandpa Stanley has the hanky in his pocket
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 05 June 05 03:31 BST (UK) »
Thanks Jane for the information.   That's very interesting that your other half thinks it's from 1850's or so.  If my gr-grandfather wasn't born till 1876, how could he have painted it.  They (his grandchildren) figure he was sitting on the edge of the lake with brush in hand.  Hmm, this could get quite interesting.  Perhaps, like someone mentioned in my "finding an abbey" post that he painted them from paintings, since he was a butler?  Another point is that my gr-grandfather's mother is from Plymouth, Devon.

I called my father, who has the original and he thought there was something written on the back, so I asked him to take it out the frame.  Now, my father's eyesight is not the greatest, but apparently it says......

"on the La---" 

of course the important word he can't read, my mother couldn't either.  They thought it looked like Lasne (which I see is in Belgium) They are pretty sure there are only 5 characters.

Karen

Gandley (but known as Stanley in Canada)- Ireland to Birmingham<br />Ball, Kempson & Franklin - Birmingham<br />Shorter - Surrey<br />Dyer - Devon<br />Dawkins - Co. Cork, Ireland<br />Heffernan - Ireland
Huck - Alsace, France
Reinhart - Baden, Germany
Bowman & Ellis - England
Etheridge - Gloucestershire

Who all came to Canada in a little row boat, clap clap, clap your hands!!

Offline kmo

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 05 June 05 08:17 BST (UK) »
but apparently it says......

"on the La---" 

They are pretty sure there are only 5 characters.

Karen

Could be Larne, a port in Northern Ireland.

Offline Jane Eden

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 05 June 05 08:24 BST (UK) »
I Googled Larne and artists and look at the link below.

http://www.bellgallery.com/j_h_craig.htm

Could be it.

Jane
Notts: Burrows, Comery, Foster, Beeson.
Derbys: Burrows, Comery, Smith  Lincs: King. 

Information contained within Census Lookups is Crown Copyright:  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline celia

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 10 June 05 18:47 BST (UK) »
Jane's Other half is correct, My Grandfather was  a commander in the R.N.R  all his sea life and Riggers as i call them he sailed on. (source Naval records)If the painting is a copy from the original ,dating will be harder.Myself it looks to be around the early 1900's,my granddad wasn't born till 1874.I would say that the painting was of the riggers moored in an alcove on the coast of Wales. Protecting them from the storms.

Celia
Celia 1941-2010
~~~~~~~~~~~~

Rake Lane Burials

M.I.Merchant Marina's Rake Lane

FLORENCE JONES MARRIED JOHN GIBBON HIGNETT IN 1885