Author Topic: what a brick wall  (Read 4851 times)

Offline marinelife

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
what a brick wall
« on: Wednesday 30 January 13 21:02 GMT (UK) »
Hi to all

I don't know if anyone can help me but after 9 months of searching I am giving it a go. I am trying to find my friend's grandmother, she died in 1968 and was born end 1905/beginning 1906 and her name is DOROTHEA ETHEL? and thats all I know (sorry).  The story through the family was that her mother died in childbirth and her father soon after and she was then "adopted out" to the Conington family.  Dorothea married in 1936 in Ampthill to Francis William Gower, she married under the name Dorothea Ethel Clarke - widow, and her father was named as William T Conington. The family tend to think that Dorothea was'nt a widow as her daughter was born in 1935 and no father was named on the birth cert. Dorothea and Francis had 2 children and the mother's maiden name was again listed as Conington.  Also Dorothea E Conington appears on 1931/32/33 London electoral role as living in Hackney.  Stories passed down by the family also state that she was one of the first ladies to attend Oxford Uni.  I have been in touch with the Uni who have tried their best to try and discover who this lady was.  They have failed to find anyone with the names Conington/Clarke with the correct birth etc. I have tried to find marriages between Conington/Clarke but to no avail. I can't even find the man named on her marriage cert as her father.  I have,however, found an Ethel Conington born at the correct time in Lincolnshire, no father was named on her birth cert and Ethel appears on 1911 census with a "monthly nurse" whilst her mother appears on 1911 census living with her family (her mother went on to marry and have several children, the whole family then moved to Ampthill). There are no records of Ethel Conington born 1905 after the 1911 census.  Is this Ethel Conington the Dorothea Ethel ? I am searching for.  There are quite a few coincidences with the Conington family from Stamford.  It is a stab in the dark, but does anyone out there ever come across, what could possibly be, the lady I am searching for. It is so frustrating no to be able to find someone's grandma whom we know did exist.  Fingers crossed someone may know something

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: what a brick wall
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 30 January 13 22:06 GMT (UK) »
Hi

You haven't told us the name of Ethel Conington's mother from the birth cert.  If that mother went on to marry - it doesn't tie in with the story that Dorothea's mother died in childbirth

Dorothea E Gower died in Northants March qtr 1968 aged 62 so birthyear 1905 or very early 1906 and the Ethel Conington you mention was registered March qtr 1906 so everything fits so far

I wonder if she just added Dorothea because she didn't like Ethel?

I see she had an Ernest Gaines living with her in 1933
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline marinelife

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 04 February 13 19:58 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Do we know anything about Ernest Gaines who was living with Dorothea on the electoral roll? The family can't understand where the story came from about her mother dying in childbirth and her father committing suicide soon after. I know I am grasping at straws with Ethel Conington but I just don't know where else to look.  Ethel Conington's mother was Minnie Conington and she appears on 1911 census living with her father George Conington in Stamford.  As said previously there are no records after 1911 for an Ethel Conington.  I just have a feeling that Ethel Conington and Dorothea Ethel Clarke/Conington could be the same person. Her mother Minnie marries, had children and then goes to live in Ampthill where Dorothea married Francis Gower. I can't believe though, the a family would tell so many lies,. mother's death, father's suicide, attendance at Oxford and even that Dorothea was supposed to be a cousin of Dame Anna Neagle.  Thank you to all who are trying to help me find my friend's grandmother.

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 04 February 13 20:22 GMT (UK) »
The only death in the London area for an Ernest Gaines was an Ernest B Gaines b c 1886 died 1957.  It's impossible to say if that is the same person as in 1933
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline JaneyCanuck

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • The Famous Five take tea on Parliament Hill
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 07 February 13 02:28 GMT (UK) »
As you say, the Ethel Conington born in 1906 Stamford didn't marry. Or die young. Or die old. ;) There's no obvious outbound passenger record for her either (in case she was sent as a Home Child to Canada or Australia, for instance).

She looks to me, too, like a good bet for your person.

Does anyone remember the date of your friend's Dorothea's birthday? A living child who would know when it was, or a family birthday book, or anything? To check against the birthdate on Ethel Conington's birth certificate, but I guess if anyone knew, that would have been done. (You seem to have that birth cert but didn't mention the birthdate.)

The tale of her mother dying in chldbirth -- to prevent her asking questions, I would imagine. It sounds like she was adopted (informally, at that time) within the family, after her mother had a baby without being married. Not uncommon. -- If that is what happened and it wasn't just a story to explain her surname. The story about her father could be true, as it seems a little harsh to invent just to avert curiosity. But if he had been a married man, for example, questions could have been problematic, and a tale for why we don't talk of him might have been needed. There are other less pleasant possibilities; young women were abused and assaulted then as they are today, and childbirth wasn't a choice then.

That was a time when young women did change their first names to be more fancy and modern. My grandfather insisted that my grandmother Lily be Lilian after they married c1920, as Lily was just too common for him (and we didn't know until after my baby sister got Lilian for her middle name in the mid-1960s). A while back, I tracked down someone's grandmother, who married around that time as Kathleen Marion, being born as plain Kate Mary. ;)

No William T Conington ever existed, either. Even the name William Conington is pretty thin on the ground. Did she know her father's name, and he was a William T something? Possibly Clarke? (You haven't said details, understandably, but I'm not seeing a birth with mother Conington in 1935ish.)

Oh, duh. Minnie Conington's husband was William T Hilliam. (You have to give all the known details!) And yes, he died in Ampthill, although all the Hilliam-Conington births up to 1923 were in Sleaford after Stamford. It does look like Dorothea/Ethel returned to the bosom of her family at some point.

Possibly Dorothea herself told the stories about her parentage, to avoid explanations about her birth. (Two parents who died young, leading to an adoption, are better than two unmarried parents ... but where did that "Clarke" come from??) Minnie and William Hilliam both died in 1955 in Ampthill, for info.

With name-shifters, it is the coincidences such as you have with Dorothea & Ethel that start to build the case. It's what led me to my gr-grfather's real identity: he sprang into existence as an adult and neither he nor the father he named when he married my gr-grmother ever existed before that. But someone with the same given names and birth details and father's given name, and, I eventually figured out, same sister who had adopted the same fake surname, did (although we'd never even known he had a sister). The two with the real surname and father ceased to exist after 1871/1873, and the two with the new name and father emerged with the sister's marriage in 1875 and my gr-grf's 1881 census record and 1883 marriage. What I then went on to find tied in with the one family story I had ever heard that he told in Canada (all his first family in England had died of "a plague", and indeed the real person's first wife and child, brother, and sister's child, and probably others, died of tuberculosis), and the one I only heard after all my sleuthing (that he had deserted from the army in India after 5 years rather than go to Afghanistan, putting it about 1878, and coinciding perfectly with the "other" fellow's (i.e. the first) wife's death in 1873). I will never have proof positive, but I also have not the slightest doubt the two people are one and are him. But like your Dame Anna Neagle tale, I have more doubts about his third story to go with his fake name, of his (real?) father being the younger brother of a particular Viscount. ;) Dame Anna was Florence Marjorie Robertson born in Essex in 1904 -- her mother was a Neagle, born in Limehouse -- anyway, a fair distance from your folks.

I think you have your girl, but you still have fun left to have with the chase. What will the 1921 census have to tell?!

(A tip -- my long paragraph there notwithstanding -- if you hit the Enter key a couple of times to make some spaces between your thoughts, it's a whole lot easier to read. ;) )
HILL, HOARE, BOND, SIBLY, Cornwall (Devon); DENNIS, PAGE, WHITBREAD, Essex; BARNARD, CASTLE, PONTON, Wiltshire; SANKEY, HORNE, YOUNG, Kent; COWDELL, Bermondsey; COOPER, SMITH, FALLOWELL, WILLEY, Notts; CAMPION, CARTER, CRADDOCK, KENNY, Northants; LITTLER, CORNER, Leicestershire; RUSHLAND, Lincolnshire; MORRISON, Ireland; COLLINS, ?; ... MONCK?

Offline marinelife

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 07 February 13 16:29 GMT (UK) »
Hi
Many thanks for taking an interest in my search and sending me your thoughts. Sorry, did forget to mention W T Hilliam. I have put a story of my thoughts on Ancestry along with the tree.  Believe it or not my friend did not know his grandmother;s birthday but given her age when she died it would coincide with the birth of Ethel Conington.  My friend also remembers his late mother once telling him that she had relatives in Lincolnshire but like so many of us he never really took any notice and never asked questions. On my friend's late mother's birth cert her mother's maiden name was given as Conington (also the same on her brother's birth cert).  One further mystery is that when Dorothea married F W Gower she gave her name as Clarke and she was a widow (have checked all marriage records and never found one between Clarke and Conington but Dorothea did have a daughter Edwina Anne b 1934 (prior to her marriage to F W Gower). The mystery is that when Edwina married 31/10/1953 at Finchley to Derek Sydney Robinson, she married under the name Edwina Anne Clarke and gave her father's name as Edward Albert Clarke (deceased). I cannot find a birth for her (don't know where she was born).  My friend did tell me that Edwina fell out with her mother, Dorothea, as she found out in later life that there was no father named on her birth cert and I believe she also lied about her age and had in fact been born prior to 1934.  I have spent months going round and round in circles each time hitting brick walls, I can't get over how many lies have been told around this lady.  The only other piece of info I have is from Dorothea's marriage cert where she names her father as William Thomas Conington, his profession is listed as Barrister.
Again thank you so much for your interest

Offline dawnsh

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 07 February 13 16:56 GMT (UK) »
Maybe the Oxford University link comes from the Conington Prize that is awarded annually  :-\

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conington_Prize
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Sherry-Paddington & Marylebone,
Longhurst-Ealing & Capel, Abinger, Ewhurst & Ockley,
Chandler-Chelsea

Offline marinelife

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 07 February 13 17:02 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Thank you so much for the link, will contact the uni for info - fingers crossed there is a link

Offline dawnsh

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 07 February 13 17:29 GMT (UK) »
or it's one of those family myths that you must be related to someone just because you have the same surname.

You mention her father being a barrister, does the family profile sort of fit whereby the family would have been able to afford to send someone to university and then law school and then to be called to ther Bar? Even nowadays, it's not cheap.

Maybe just another embellishment.

Again there may be a bit of truth in there somewhere, ie employed as a legal clerk?
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Sherry-Paddington & Marylebone,
Longhurst-Ealing & Capel, Abinger, Ewhurst & Ockley,
Chandler-Chelsea