Author Topic: On This Day in FEBRUARY ...  (Read 44455 times)

Offline terry h

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • With Mum x
    • View Profile
Re: On This Day in FEBRUARY ...
« Reply #27 on: Tuesday 05 February 13 12:46 GMT (UK) »
Missed a couple of days.

3/2

4G grandparents Thomas Herbert & Mary Tait m 3/2/1797 at Kirknewton, Northumberland...my brickwall!

1st Cousin 5 x R John Hastie son of Thomas & Esther Hastie nee Hoy m his 1st wife Isabella Rae 03/02/1854 at Langton, Duns.

1st Cousin 4 x R Mary Helen Black b 3/2/1868 Ayton Berwickshire, daughter of Alexander & Jane Black nee Cowe.

4/2

5g Uncle Robert Grieve b 4/2/1786 Cockburnspath, Berwickshire, son of Thomas & Janet Grieve nee Cribbies.

My Uncle Arthur Hastie b 04/02/1935

5/2

3g Grandfather William Burn b 5/2/1819 Lilliesleaf, Roxburghshire, son of James & Jessie Burn nee Davidson.

1st Cousin 2 x R Margaret Fairbairn Pringle b 5/2/1869 Wilston, Hawick daughter of John & Mary Pringle nee young.

1st Cousin 1 x R Grant Hastie b 5/2/1989, Melrose, Roxburghshire.

g grandfather Thomas Borthwick 11/11/1882 - KIA 25/9/1915 aged 33 Kings Own Scottish Borderers

Brothers & cousins to Thomas (Both KIA same day)
Robert Johnstone Borthwick 1898 - KIA 24/3/1918 aged 21 North Staffordshire Regiment

George Lowden Borthwick 1899 - KIA 24/3/1918 aged 19 Royal Scots Fusiliers

gr Uncle Walter Combe b1893 - KIA 12/7/1915 aged 22  Kings Own Scottish Borderers

Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright  GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline stonechat

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Wednesday 06 February 13 07:36 GMT (UK) »
Ann Jackson nee Lee (and formerly Ann Aldous see William Aldous a couple of days ago)
died at her house in Shepperton, MIddx in 1940 aged 92.

Ann was born 1848 in Upperthong near Holmfirth, to a shoemaker.
At age 2 her mother died in childbirth (the child must have died too)
In 1852 there was the great flood of Holmfirth - not sure what impact it had on the family.
By 1861 the family had moved to Glossop in Derbyshire.
Her father had remarried but stepmother died in 1862.
Ann married William Aldous in 1866 in Ashton under Lyne in Lancs
Her first two children were born Fred in Glossop and Sarah 'Sadie' in Penistone in Yorks.
At this point William Aldous seems to have disappeared.

By 1890 she is living at Hyde in Cheshire with Edward Jackson as husband and wife
He was undermanager of the mine.
My grandfather Harry was born this year and his sister Annie a little later.
Ann conveniently lost a couple  of years from her age, while with Edward, a younger man.

Edward and Ann married in 1896 in Macclesfield - perhaps Ann waited for the 7 year rule?
The family move around as Edward became mine manager, firstly in Breightmet near Bolton, then Pendleton before moving to Bredbury near Stockport in Cheshire.

Then Edward died through cancer of the Oesophagus (all that coal dust?).
When her son Harry was injured in a pit fall three years later (as undermanager) The whole family Ann with Harry and wife and Annie and husband moved south, joining Sadie who had already done so.
The family Ann, Annie and Annie's husband Noah  eventually settle in the house at Shepperton, which Noah built (he was a builder). Annie and Noah had a son named Edward.

Ann died in 1940 as said at age 92
This was  the start of a bad period.
8 months later, Edward , aged 15 was killed by a bomb hitting Shepperton studio where he worked. Only two 15 year old boys were killed.
The following month Noah had appendicitis and died.

At least Ann mercifully missed this.

Douglas, Varnden, Joy(i)ce Surrey, Clarke Northants/Hunts, Pullen Worcs/Herefords, Holmes Birmingham/USA/Canada/Australia, Jackson Cheshire/Yorkshire, Lomas Cheshire, Lee Yorkshire, Cocks Lancashire, Leah Cheshire, Cook Yorkshire, Catlow Lancashire
See my website http://www.cotswan.com

Offline nanny jan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Russian John
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Wednesday 06 February 13 09:28 GMT (UK) »
2 more today:

Alfred Samuel Pollard, born 1893 in Hoxton, London;  son of Alfred Samuel and Maria Rachel (nee Barham).  A first cousin, 1 removed. He married Mildred Frances Juster in 1923 in Islington. Not found any children for them.  He died in 1980 and Mildred in 1983.

William Josiah Ware, born 1861 in Burghfield, Berkshire;  son of James and Hannah (nee Allwright). A first cousin, 4 removed. Last sighting of him is on 1881 census, living at home and working as a stableman.
Howard , Viney , Kingsman, Pain/e, Rainer/ Rayner, Barham, George, Wakeling (Catherine), Vicary (Frederick)   all LDN area/suburbs  Ottley/ MDX,
Henman/ KNT   Gandy/LDN before 1830  Burgess/LDN
Barham/SFK   Rainer/CAN (Toronto) Gillians/CAN  Sturgeon/CAN (Vancouver)
Bailey/LDN Page/KNT   Paling/WA (var)

All census look-ups are crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline terry h

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • With Mum x
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Wednesday 06 February 13 10:20 GMT (UK) »
6G Aunt Alison Sharp b 6/2/1792 Hutton, Berwickshire, daughter of John & Alison Sharp nee Bowmaker.

4g Aunt Elizabeth Hastie nee Purves chr 6/2/1802 Ladykirk, Berwickshire, daughter of David & Margaret Purves nee Blair.

5g Uncle John Brawl son of John & Janet Brawl nee Stewart m Mary McMeiken 6/2/1823 Inch Wigtownshire.

3g Aunt Marian Chisholm nee Halliday b 6/2/1852 Birkenside, Berwickshire

2g Aunt Margaret Laing Glenney b 6/2/1866 Hawick, Roxburghshire, daughter of John & Margaret Glenney nee Buckham.

1st Cousin 4 x R Agnes Black b6/2/1865 Ayton, Berwickshire, daughter of Alexander & Jane Black nee Cowe.

Moderator Comment: Name(s) of living people removed in accordance with RootsChat policy.
g grandfather Thomas Borthwick 11/11/1882 - KIA 25/9/1915 aged 33 Kings Own Scottish Borderers

Brothers & cousins to Thomas (Both KIA same day)
Robert Johnstone Borthwick 1898 - KIA 24/3/1918 aged 21 North Staffordshire Regiment

George Lowden Borthwick 1899 - KIA 24/3/1918 aged 19 Royal Scots Fusiliers

gr Uncle Walter Combe b1893 - KIA 12/7/1915 aged 22  Kings Own Scottish Borderers

Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright  GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline Seoras

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • GG gf Robert. Born Ireland 1865. Died USA 1941.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Wednesday 06 February 13 11:10 GMT (UK) »
On Saturday 6th February 1911, my great great grandfather Peter Wardlaw died in Bathville Row, Armadale. He was buried in Bathgate and the cost of the hearse to take him there was 6 shillings. He was the last surviving child of my 3xG grandfather, George. Peter, an eldest son, was named after his grandfather. His father was named George as was Peter's eldest son, my great grandfather. His brother Alexander's eldest son was also named George. My grandfather was named George and both my parents had brothers named George. So when I was born, an eldest son, when it came to naming...........well I think you can guess where this is going  ;)

On the same day in Tampico, Illinois, Ronald Wilson Reagan, the 40th president of the USA was born. His father was descended from Irish Roman Catholics in Tipperary and his mother was of Scots/English descent.
SCOTLAND: Wardlaw Steen/Stein Tweedie McBride McEwan Pate/Peat Brown Somerville Bishop Farier/Ferrier Wood  Torrance Gibb Ross Dunlop Downs Richardson Ramsey Story Snaddon/Sneddon Auld Allan McLean McInnes Mason Law Lawson Kerr Cockburn Christie Ballingall Wardrope Weir Wallace Scott.
IRELAND: Welsh Clifford Lee Allingham Keane Dale Robinson Greer McVey Bingham Skelton Carson Broomfield Clark McEwan/McKeown McCreary McLaughlan.
YORKSHIRE: Cudworth Smith Cope Coulton Hainsworth

Offline sylvia (canada)

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Wednesday 06 February 13 18:54 GMT (UK) »
6th February 1952

King George VI of England died, age 56

A question often asked is ........

"Can you remember what you were doing that day?"
Taylor, Park, Rowlandson, Hayhurst, Goose, Moor, Mattinson, Dawes. Westmorland, Yorkshire, Lancashire.
Cadd, Ellard, Schofield, Ashton, Cott(e)rill, Buck(w)right, Love. Buckinghamshire, Lancashire
Hughes, Roberts, Wynn(e), Griffiths. Wales

Offline nanny jan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Russian John
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Wednesday 06 February 13 19:06 GMT (UK) »

Sadly not.......I was just a toddler!
Howard , Viney , Kingsman, Pain/e, Rainer/ Rayner, Barham, George, Wakeling (Catherine), Vicary (Frederick)   all LDN area/suburbs  Ottley/ MDX,
Henman/ KNT   Gandy/LDN before 1830  Burgess/LDN
Barham/SFK   Rainer/CAN (Toronto) Gillians/CAN  Sturgeon/CAN (Vancouver)
Bailey/LDN Page/KNT   Paling/WA (var)

All census look-ups are crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline genjen

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Wednesday 06 February 13 19:52 GMT (UK) »
6th February 1952
King George VI of England died, age 56
A question often asked is ........

"Can you remember what you were doing that day?"

Cutting teeth probably. I was nine months old! ;D

I've been away so here are the people I have missed.

February 4th 1871, Joseph Milne married Margaret Daniel in Cruden, Aberdeenshire. My 2 x great grandparents, Joseph's father, also Joseph Milne, is one of my mystery men. He died very young, either before, or just after, his son was born in 1841 and being Scotland, before registration began. Joseph Jnr went on to be a quarry manager and I think he was also quite a prominent man in the community. I've found reference to him in several newspaper articles.

February 5th 1751, Ralph Littlefare, a 6 x great-uncle, was baptised in Cockfield, Co. Durham. Spellings of this surname vary so much that I have decided to make life easier and stick with one version for my own purposes! Cockfield is a village of which I had never heard until a few years ago when, within weeks of each other, I found it was big in the family history and my sister bought a house there! She had no idea either. Spooky eh?
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

ESS: Howe French Cant Annis Noakes Turner Marshall Makerow Duck Spurden Harmony
SCT: Howe Shaw Raitt Milne Forsyth Birnie Crichton Duncan McBeath Daniel Hay Robertson Jaffrey Smith McDonald Alexander Craighead
NRY: Bushby Smith Bland Iley Cunion Kendrew Thornbury Favell Lonsdale Crossland Rudd Pratt Gibson
WES; Dickenson Jackson Ewbank Waller
STS: White
SRY: Knight
DUR: Smith Littlefair
HAM: Williams Grose Lush Venson

Offline sylvia (canada)

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Wednesday 06 February 13 20:01 GMT (UK) »
I was in my first year at the local Grammar School .......... and we were all called into a special Assembly in the School Hall.

You can imagine the buzz that that caused! Not even the 6th Formers could remember ever having a Special Assembly before.

Of course, the announcement by the Head Master that "the King is dead, long live the Queen" led to gasps of horror, and lots of tears.

It was a huge change, even for an 11 year old.

I think we were all aware that the King had been ill, but not how ill.
Taylor, Park, Rowlandson, Hayhurst, Goose, Moor, Mattinson, Dawes. Westmorland, Yorkshire, Lancashire.
Cadd, Ellard, Schofield, Ashton, Cott(e)rill, Buck(w)right, Love. Buckinghamshire, Lancashire
Hughes, Roberts, Wynn(e), Griffiths. Wales