Author Topic: On This Day in FEBRUARY ...  (Read 44360 times)

Offline genjen

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
On This Day in FEBRUARY ...
« on: Thursday 31 January 13 10:56 GMT (UK) »
I'm just starting this new thread in case I'm not around to do it tonight or in the morning. Please join us in adding your ancestors' anniversaries and stories of their lives.  :)

All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

ESS: Howe French Cant Annis Noakes Turner Marshall Makerow Duck Spurden Harmony
SCT: Howe Shaw Raitt Milne Forsyth Birnie Crichton Duncan McBeath Daniel Hay Robertson Jaffrey Smith McDonald Alexander Craighead
NRY: Bushby Smith Bland Iley Cunion Kendrew Thornbury Favell Lonsdale Crossland Rudd Pratt Gibson
WES; Dickenson Jackson Ewbank Waller
STS: White
SRY: Knight
DUR: Smith Littlefair
HAM: Williams Grose Lush Venson

Offline genjen

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: On This Day in FEBRUARY
« Reply #1 on: Friday 01 February 13 08:59 GMT (UK) »
On February 1st 1846, my 5 x great grandmother, Lyddia Favell, nee Lonsdale, died in Gilling by Richmond, North Riding of Yorkshire. I was stunned to find her alive in the 1841 census because I knew from her marriage and the birth of her offspring that she had been born some time in the middle of the previous century. When I eventually found her birth, it turned out to be in 1752, so she was ninety-four when she died. Whenever anyone tells me that people didn't live as long in 'the olden days' as we do now, I just raise my eyebrows and think of Lyddia. She's one of my favourites! :)

Also on this day in 1865, Robert Raitt was born in Monymusk, Aberdeenshire. He was a first cousin, three times removed.

SCT: Howe Shaw Raitt Milne Forsyth Birnie Crichton Duncan McBeath Daniel Hay Robertson Jaffrey Smith McDonald Alexander Craighead
NRY: Bushby Smith Bland Iley Cunion Kendrew Thornbury Favell Lonsdale Crossland Rudd Pratt Gibson

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 01 February 13 12:00 GMT (UK) »
My great x 2 grandfather, William Henry Howell was born on this day in 1829 in Liverpool. He was a Merchant Seaman and according to his Navy records he was described as being 5ft 2½ inches tall, brown hair and grey eyes. He had a cut on the side of his left eye and an anchor on his left arm. He was apprenticed aged 16 in 1845 and could write.

On the 21st April 1859 he married Mary Ann Bills in London. Her father was a licensed victualler and let rooms to mariners, so I presume this is how they met. They remained in London and had 10 children. He died in 1890 in West Ham from Apoplexy and asthma.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 01 February 13 12:08 GMT (UK) »

Enos Hobson my g.g.uncle was born in Ingbirchworth, Yorkshire in 1859.  He moved to Manchester with his widowed mother probably around the time of his father’s death in 1876 and like many in his extended family, became a butcher.

Elizabeth Lockwood (nee Hobson) my 2 x g.grandmother was baptised in Cumberworth, Yorkshire in 1818.  She was the mother of Enos above.

Charles Brand my 2 x g.g.uncle was baptised in New Sleaford, Lincolnshire in 1823

Thomas Postlethwaite my 5 x g.g.uncle was baptised at St Mary’s Parish Church, Dalton in Furness, Lancashire in 1728/9.  He was the g.nephew of Mary Myre below.

Mary Myre my 7 x g.g.aunt was baptised in Whicham, Millom in 1674/5.

Eliza Louisa Whittaker (nee Clarke) my husband’s g.grandmother was baptised at St Paul’s Church, Warwick in 1852. She was the mother of Edmund Arthur Whittaker below.

Edmund Arthur Whittaker died in Ashton-u-Lyne, Lancashire in 1955.  As he frequently switched his name around to Arthur Edmund, this caused some confusion when his grandson went to register his death.

William d’Aubigny 3rd Earl of Arundel, my 22 x g.grandfather died this day in 1221.  He joined the Fifth Crusade (1217-1221) and died on his journey home, near Rome.  News of his death did not reach England until 30 March 1221.  His body was brought home and buried at Wymondham Abbey.  His title went to his son William until he died childless in 1224, it was then passed to his brother Hugh.  Hugh’s 4th sister, the first three having already died had married John FitzAlan of Clun and the title, together with Arundel Castle passed to him when Hugh, too, died childless.  Naturally, I am descended from the youngest sister!

Francis William Benson my lovely dad died this day in 2003, aged 91.  He was always the extrovert and loved by everyone who met him, including all the nurses he came across in hospital on his numerous stays during his last 10 years of life.  When he was transferred to a wonderful nursing home a couple of months before he died, he was always wandering around to see what was happening.  On the morning he died, the night nurses had been in to him before they went to give the report to say cheerio to him and say they’d be back that evening.  He was told to stay in bed until the day nurse came.  When the day nurse went to his room about 15 minutes later, he had died.  They told us he was obviously getting out of bed, as usual, and had just died with a smile on his face.  I can imagine that.  The nurses told him to stay in bed and once they’d gone, he smiled to himself and started getting out of bed.  Interestingly, he told me four weeks before he died, that he’d seen his eldest brother (who had died in 1982) who told him he was coming for him in 4 weeks – how bizarre is that?

Two photos attached.  The first one when he was aged 52 at his Silver Wedding Anniversary, the 2nd one I think was in his late 80s.

Offline genjen

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 01 February 13 14:00 GMT (UK) »
Lovely photographs, Lizzie. You must have such happy memories of him. :)

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 01 February 13 14:50 GMT (UK) »
He was quite a character and if he went out to the shops, or to take his dog for a walk, mum knew it would be at least 2-3 hours before he got back because of all the people he would stop and talk to.  In the bottom photo you can just see some white near his collar.  That was covering his throat.  He'd had laryngeal cancer and had his voice box removed and was supposed to speak by putting two fingers on a stoma in a hole in his throatneck ???  Unfortunately, he used to press too hard so gave up that method and just used an electronic larynx, a battery operated machine that produced a sound when placed against his neck and spoke.  This produced a sound like a Dalek.  My grandchildren thought it was hilarious, so he did it more and more for them.  It didn't stop him talking 90 to the dozen to everyone though and they could all understand him.

In the last 10 years of his life he actually had had cancer of the bowel, larynx and prostate - all primaries - bowel and larynx cured, only the prostrate returned near the end of his life.  The doctors were amazed that he was so well for the 10 years from when he had his first cancer to his death. 

Offline terry h

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • With Mum x
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 01 February 13 15:24 GMT (UK) »
1st Cousin 5 x R David Cowe chr 01/02/1824 Etal, Northumberland, son of William and Mary Cowe Nee Learmonth

2nd Cousin 3 x R Isabella Haliburton b 01/02/1863, Orwell, Kinross daughter of Ralph & Jane Haliburton nee Mulherron.

My two Cousins (brothers) John b 01/02/1959 & Neil b 01/02/1962 sons of William & Sheila.

5g Aunt Jean Falconer b 01/02/1785 Bunkle & Preston, Berwickshire, daughter of George & Beatrice Falconer nee Mack.

4g Aunt Agnes Cowe daughter of John & Elizabeth Cowe nee Watson m Alexander White 1/2/1846 at Ayton, Berwickshire.
g grandfather Thomas Borthwick 11/11/1882 - KIA 25/9/1915 aged 33 Kings Own Scottish Borderers

Brothers & cousins to Thomas (Both KIA same day)
Robert Johnstone Borthwick 1898 - KIA 24/3/1918 aged 21 North Staffordshire Regiment

George Lowden Borthwick 1899 - KIA 24/3/1918 aged 19 Royal Scots Fusiliers

gr Uncle Walter Combe b1893 - KIA 12/7/1915 aged 22  Kings Own Scottish Borderers

Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright  GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline stonechat

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 01 February 13 15:57 GMT (UK) »
(Bookmarking)
None today but there will be one tomorrow with a reference to 4th Feb as well
Douglas, Varnden, Joy(i)ce Surrey, Clarke Northants/Hunts, Pullen Worcs/Herefords, Holmes Birmingham/USA/Canada/Australia, Jackson Cheshire/Yorkshire, Lomas Cheshire, Lee Yorkshire, Cocks Lancashire, Leah Cheshire, Cook Yorkshire, Catlow Lancashire
See my website http://www.cotswan.com

Offline stonechat

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 02 February 13 06:56 GMT (UK) »
George Whateley Holmes was born in Flatbush, Brooklyn New York in 1883
He married on the 4th February (so getting in early) 1908 to Ethel Louise Carlisle.

George's father had emigrated from England and took over the metal pencil factory he worked at. George died on the 1st November 1918 in the Malbone Street Wreck - a train crash on the Brighton Beach Line, on Long Island. There was a labour dispute and the driver was not properly trained. The train co tried to blame him.
In a later court settlement, Ethel was awarded $40,000 damages.

George was my paternal grandmother's cousin

p.s. before his death he received a draft card calling him up for military service in WW1. However his death meant he did not serve and the war was soon finished anyway

p.p.s.
93 People died in the crash
Douglas, Varnden, Joy(i)ce Surrey, Clarke Northants/Hunts, Pullen Worcs/Herefords, Holmes Birmingham/USA/Canada/Australia, Jackson Cheshire/Yorkshire, Lomas Cheshire, Lee Yorkshire, Cocks Lancashire, Leah Cheshire, Cook Yorkshire, Catlow Lancashire
See my website http://www.cotswan.com