Author Topic: Can anybody help me with Photographers in Brightlingsea, Essex  (Read 5396 times)

Offline bobfilm

• RootsChat Senior
  • Early Photographers and Silent Film Makers.
    • View Profile
Can anybody help me with Photographers in Brightlingsea, Essex
« on: Friday 01 February 13 13:48 GMT (UK) »
I am trying to find information on a Photographic Studio at 33 Tower Street, Brightlingsea, Colchester, Essex.
I have the following occupants:

Charles Thomas Humphrey shown as a photographer in 1910 Kelly’s Trade Directory.
I think he was born 1870 in Hounslow, Middlesex (according to 1901 census, he is at 226, Uxbridge Road, Hammersmith with his father and sister). Can't find him anywhere else.

Charles Arthur Mathew shown as a photographer in 1914 Kelly’s Trade Directory.
He is mentioned as supplying photographs for 'A history of the town of Brightlingsea' by Edward Percival Dickin. Can't find him anywhere else.

Douglas Norman Went born abt 1887 in Great Bentley, Essex – died 1970 in Colchester, Essex. Shown as a photographer in 1922 Kelly’s Trade Directory. He seems to stayed there at least until 1937, when he married Barbara A Rand. I think he was also a water colour artist and his parents were Arthur Soloman Went and Alice Ruth Hammond.

Would appreciate any info on these photographers and the studio in Brightlingsea.
Regards Bobfilm  :)
Researching East London & Essex Early Photographers and Silent Film Makers and Studios in Waltham Forest.

Offline despair

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Can anybody help me with Photographers in Brightlingsea, Essex
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 03 February 13 21:25 GMT (UK) »
I can find Charles Arthur Mathew on the censuses-it looks like he had other occupations first.
I think he is born in Romford to Charles and Harriet Mathews(inevitably various spellings)

Census refs
1871  1644 41 43  St Andrew Rd. Romford  aged 6
1881  1743 34 35           ditto                           16-Bookbinders Assistant
1891  1415 81 17  London Road,Stanway,Copford  26- no occupation given
1901  1629  137 5  17,Parkside,Walthamstow   36-Clerk to District Surveyor
(married to Ellen nee Mann,I think, from Southampton.

Regards
Roger

Offline despair

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 04 February 13 11:08 GMT (UK) »
Is this the Douglas Went you are seeking?

http://books.google.co.uk/books/about/Sailing.html?id=_aU3AQAAIAAJ&redir_esc=y

Regards
Roger

Offline despair

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 04 February 13 18:31 GMT (UK) »
There is a little further info on C.A. Mathew here:-

http://spitalfieldslife.com/2010/09/21/c-a-mathew-photographer/

and there is also a photograph"Spring Road,St.Osyth"by D.N. Went which can readily be found by a Google search,and is where Charles Humphrey died in 1923.

Regards
Roger

Offline kmart66

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 06 February 13 13:34 GMT (UK) »
Hi

I have several books filled with old photographs of Brightlingsea, credited to D Went by the authors.

Brightlingsea, echoes of the past by Alf Wakeling published 1984 has a large photo of Douglas Went plus a summary of his life, including rebuilding of the shop after fire, retirement due to illness, what he did in his retirement and a statement from his wife after his death.

Kevin
Brightlingsea families
Martin, Day, Frostick, Salmon

faber est quisque fortunae suae

Offline bobfilm

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 11 February 13 09:51 GMT (UK) »
My apology for not thanking those who took the trouble to post info. Had problem with computer.
Leads were very helpful.
Kevin is there any chance of sharing info you have on D. Went?
Regards
 :)bobfilm
Researching East London & Essex Early Photographers and Silent Film Makers and Studios in Waltham Forest.

Offline bobfilm

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 07 April 14 10:50 BST (UK) »

Charles Thomas Humphrey shown as a photographer in 1910 Kelly’s Trade Directory.
I think he was born 1870 in Hounslow, Middlesex (according to 1901 census, he is at 226, Uxbridge Road, Hammersmith with his father and sister). Can't find him anywhere else.

Have now found out that Charles emigrated in 1910 to Canada with family. Having married Mabel Beatrice Lewis (in England) and had 3 children. 1921, he is still a Photographer in Calgary.
Can abody do a look up in Canada ?

Offline helvissa

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 19 April 14 16:56 BST (UK) »
I recently borrowed a photo album from my aunt, full of pics of my Grandma's family. My great-grandmother was born in Brightlingsea, and as a result it looks like Douglas photographed them a lot. It's probably too small to see, but in the bottom right hand of this photo, you can see Douglas Went's name:

This is a photo of the Wivenhoe Congregational Church in 1925.

He did some of my family's wedding photos as well. If you're collecting them, let me know. I've just had a look through David Craze's book of Wivenhoe postcards (my grandparents helped him with some from their own collection) and there's one of Went's photos in there - Wivenhoevians in fancy dress (my grandad dressed as a pirate!) for the 1935 jubilee.

Offline bobfilm

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 20 April 14 09:54 BST (UK) »
Thanks Helvissa for your reply. I am mainly interested in his career and any trade plates.
Regards - Bobfilm  :)