Author Topic: unrecognisable occupation on 1901 census  (Read 9770 times)

Offline Arwelw

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: unrecognisable occupation on 1901 census
« Reply #72 on: Sunday 31 March 13 13:37 BST (UK) »
Just been reading through this interesting thread...and I think the point being made about Ivor Williams is that we can't publicly discuss living persons here.

Private messaging is another matter :)

Cheers,
China

So true!

Offline wilcoxon

• -
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barry Sheene 1950-2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: Sunday 18 December 22 14:16 GMT (UK) »
Hi

I found that newspapers were the only source of inquests for those of my ancestors. I was lucky that the librarian (s) that I contacted were able to send me copies via e-mail. The Denbighshire Archives people are really helpful but the Archives don't hold all such info.

It's a pity that the burial record (10th Dec 1904) doesn't give his age - this seems to be the nearest death reg:

Robert Roberts, age 63, Dec q, 1904, St Asaph 11b 227

brevitas

It's a few years since this thread started and we still don't know if the burial was the correct one.
Perhaps these reports might help.

https://newspapers.library.wales/view/3885102/3885120/133/

https://newspapers.library.wales/view/3885121/3885131/80/

Census information is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline wilcoxon

• -
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barry Sheene 1950-2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: Sunday 18 December 22 14:25 GMT (UK) »

ROBERTS, ROBERT    81  GRO Reference: 1904  D Quarter in ST ASAPH  Volume 11B  Page 218
ROBERTS, ROBERT    74  GRO Reference: 1904  D Quarter in ST ASAPH  Volume 11B  Page 222
ROBERTS, ROBERT    63  GRO Reference: 1904  D Quarter in ST ASAPH  Volume 11B  Page 227
ROBERTS, ROBERT    48  GRO Reference: 1904  D Quarter in ST ASAPH  Volume 11B  Page 233

The report says he was about 50, so perhaps the 48 year old is the right one.

Offline wilcoxon

• -
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barry Sheene 1950-2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: Sunday 18 December 22 14:34 GMT (UK) »

Offline cnerys

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: Saturday 07 January 23 21:12 GMT (UK) »
Hello Wilcoxon,
What a surprise to see your post. Thank you for your continued interest and help in my Robert Roberts. In the past 9 years we have discovered nothing further on him. I did send for the death certificate but unfortunately it just contained inquest details and nothing of next of kin, so I wasn't able to conclusively say this was the correct Robert Roberts. I do believe it is him, I just can't prove it. We also have seen the burial in Eglwyswen Church and don't think it's the correct one for us. Robert's wife Jane has also been difficult to prove her death. She was 86 on the 1911 census living with her daughter. I bought a certificate for same age Jane Roberts but she died in workhouse with the master noted as the next of kin. The newspaper clippings you sent links to were very interesting. Unfortunately the one with the funeral notice mentioned he had 3 children, which indeed he did by the time he died as one of his daughters died in 1903 after childbirth. But it didn't mention a widow, so I can't use that as proof that it was my Robert Roberts either and the only mention in the inquest newspaper article to family was just that, sympathies to the family, I suppose that's how they did it back then. But I thank you very much for your input, it's very much appreciated.
Kind Regards
Nerys
Morris - Gwytherin/Llangernyw/Pandy Tudur
Blore - Efenechtyd/Clocaenog
Bloor - Cwm/Newmarket Wales
Price - Llangwm, Poulton cum Seacomb/Bebington
Roberts - Llanelidan - 'Pantrwth' Eyarth, Liverpool, Sheffield, Llanrwst
Roberts - Brookhouse Denbigh, Bontuchel
Williams - Abergele
Hughes - Llanfairtalhaiarn
Jones - Llangynhafal