Author Topic: Help needed to find Thomas Knoxs parents  (Read 1665 times)

Offline Tom Langley

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Help needed to find Thomas Knoxs parents
« on: Saturday 02 February 13 13:58 GMT (UK) »
My ancestor Thomas Knox married Marion Scheill c 1690 probably in Roxburghshire Scotland.
Their son Andrew was baptised in Ashkirk, Rox in 1690, he is the only child i can find of the couple.
I know im lucky to have even got to 1690, but im eager to try and find a link to John Knox the reformer.
I suspect he is the son of Walter Knox and Bessie Scott. Also an Andrew Knox was a witness at Andrew 1690 baptism. Walter and Bessie had a son Andrew.
Would anyone be willing to try and help me get further back?

Tom
Langley, Broughton, Taylor, Broad, Cooper, Owen, Bennion, Yorke, Knox, Norcup, Holland, Brookes, White, Davies, Huntbach, Bowler, Barnett.

Offline Jane Masri

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My back garden
    • View Profile
Re: Help needed to find Thomas Knoxs parents
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 02 February 13 15:04 GMT (UK) »
Tom, maybe this would be better over on the Scottish board?  They would have the right resources & expertise over there  :)

Jane
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Researching BRABY/BRAVERY in SURREY and SUSSEX

PLEASE use the look-up requests page not a personal message.

Offline GR2

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 02 February 13 16:15 GMT (UK) »
John Knox had two sons and three daughters. Both sons died without issue, so while there are descendants of the reformer, none of them bear the name Knox (unless, of course, they married into another family of the name). Some people give descendants of an older brother, William Knox, but they are not very forthcoming about sources - which is always a bad sign.

Offline Tom Langley

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 02 February 13 18:01 GMT (UK) »
I was aware that John had no Knox grandchildren. I'm one of the trees I've seen from his brother William, there is a branch in Kelso and Bowden near to where my Knoxs are in lilliesleaf and ashkirk.

Tom
Langley, Broughton, Taylor, Broad, Cooper, Owen, Bennion, Yorke, Knox, Norcup, Holland, Brookes, White, Davies, Huntbach, Bowler, Barnett.