Author Topic: Greenock stowaways 1868 - abandoned barefoot on the ice fields of Newfoundland  (Read 13413 times)

Offline manda_mcd

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
MCDOUGALL (Glasgow and Glassary, Argyllshire), SINCLAIR (Lanarkshire), CAMPBELL (Aberdeen, Ayr and Gorbals), DOLAN (Greenock), RUSH, BELL, COUSIN(S), PATERSON, KERR, DEARIE, KENNY, GORMLEY, (mostly from Ireland to Glasgow) GILLIES (Glassary & Lochgilphead) McFIE or MCPHEE,

Offline PaulFamilyTree

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Greenock stowaways 1868 - abandoned barefoot on the ice fields of Newfoundland
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 19 December 17 23:59 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for sharing the links.  When the book came out I was able to get in contact with the author Paul and he was so wonderful in connecting me with some copies for my family. I am ever so grateful to Paul for bringing this story 'back to life'.  Paul was surprised at how many descendants there are that care so much about their 'little stowaway' GG-grandfather, John Paul. 

I have been able to find a few relatives that I didn't know about because of this.  Still looking for more :) 

Offline LibHastings

• RootsChat Member
  • NSW - Australia
    • View Profile
Re: Greenock stowaways 1868 - abandoned barefoot on the ice fields of Newfoundland
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 10 April 18 06:23 BST (UK) »
Hi all, my cousin's husband was related to one of these boys I will have to try and find out which one. I know he said the boys who survived were given special watches as a sort of 'compensation' for what they went through.
Claire

Hi Claire

Have you found out who your cousin's husband was related to?

You may be interested to know that the Bay St. George South Historical Society (www.facebook.com/groups/BSGSHistoricalSociety/) are having a Commemoration on the weekend of 19 May 2018 in Newfoundland for the loss and rescue of the boys, as it will be the 150 years anniversary.

The 150 year commemoration is also mentioned in this article:
www.thewesternstar.com/news/historical-society-to-commemorate-150-year-old-lifesaving-event-in-highlands-188677

regards

Libby
ENGLAND
Essex - ALGAR, KETLEY
Durham - ASHMORE, TODD,  WALKER
Kent - CHEESEMAN
Worc/Staff - BRADLEY
also WILBY

SCOTLAND
Perth, Renfrew, Stirling - BRAND
also GRAY, MICKLEJOHN,  CRAWFORD, CHRISTIE

Offline pengowrites

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 08 July 18 04:25 BST (UK) »
Hi all,

I am also a descendant. David Brand was my Great Great Grandfather (I think. There might be another great in there). I'm actually a playwright and I'm looking to write this story up as a play. I'd love to chat to all of you to hear what you've found out about the story; I want it to be as true to fact as possible. 

Rachel

Offline LibHastings

• RootsChat Member
  • NSW - Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Sunday 08 July 18 08:51 BST (UK) »
Hi all,

I am also a descendant. David Brand was my Great Great Grandfather (I think. There might be another great in there). I'm actually a playwright and I'm looking to write this story up as a play. I'd love to chat to all of you to hear what you've found out about the story; I want it to be as true to fact as possible. 

Rachel

Hi Rachel

I think I might see you in August if you're going to be at Murrumbateman for David & Jo's wedding anniversary.

Libby
ENGLAND
Essex - ALGAR, KETLEY
Durham - ASHMORE, TODD,  WALKER
Kent - CHEESEMAN
Worc/Staff - BRADLEY
also WILBY

SCOTLAND
Perth, Renfrew, Stirling - BRAND
also GRAY, MICKLEJOHN,  CRAWFORD, CHRISTIE

Offline StowawayDescendant

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Sunday 08 July 18 09:45 BST (UK) »
Hi all, it's been ages since I was here last! There have been several news pieces on the story lately, which has been fantastic. In addition to what can be gleaned from the Greenock Telegraph, there is the book The Brats by Tony Paul, the new comic version plus I think there was a book on seafaring tales. The original papers would be a good place to start researching...

Nancy has a Facebook page for the Arran Stowaway descendents which would be well worth joining if you use facebook.

Faye
XxxX

Offline pengowrites

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Sunday 08 July 18 12:26 BST (UK) »
Hi all,

Rachel

Hi Rachel

I think I might see you in August if you're going to be at Murrumbateman for David & Jo's wedding anniversary.

Libby

Hi Libby,

I will be there! I’d love to chat with you about all of this if that’s okay.

Rachel