Author Topic: Baptismal records, Carradale, Arygll., 1819  (Read 13263 times)

Offline BonnieDownUnder

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Baptismal records, Carradale, Arygll., 1819
« Reply #27 on: Saturday 23 February 13 23:16 GMT (UK) »
Hi Looby ... John died at Sunk Island, Yorkshire, so unfortunately, death certificate doesn't show parents names ... Bonnie

Offline loobylooayr

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Saturday 23 February 13 23:35 GMT (UK) »
How inconsiderate of him...lol!
Well it was worth suggesting to you!
Sunk Island sounds intriguing...sounds like something from the Famous Five.

Hope you have success tracking him down and solving the Georgina Campbell mystery too.

Best wishes Looby

Offline BonnieDownUnder

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Saturday 23 February 13 23:53 GMT (UK) »
Hi Looby ... yeah, really considerate ... ho ho
Sunk Island (interesting read about the place) isn't actually an island but connected to the mainland and comes under Yorkshire county.   He was a 'Coast Guard', had served in the Crimean War, and went to sea as a young lad of 10 years of age. 
As yet I haven't had any offers for a lookup at the NAS ... fingers crossed some good sole will come to my aid.
Thanks again, Bonnie

Offline loobylooayr

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Sunday 24 February 13 00:10 GMT (UK) »
I'm Scottish Bonnie, but unfortunately don't live anywhere near Edinburgh or I would try to oblige you.

Am I correct in surmising from the posts that there is no will listed for Georgina Janet Campbell with Scotlands People?

Your post caught my eye as an elderly neighbour of mine (long deceased)was from Carradale.
Looby (Linda)

Offline loobylooayr

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Sunday 24 February 13 00:34 GMT (UK) »
Hi again Bonnie,
 Just had a quick glance at The Scotlands People website.
Isabella Campbell's will is available to view online. There are 12 pages to view including an additional inventory at the cost of 20 credits.
Also looked for a will for Napier Campbell (Napier being an uncommon forename) and found a will for someone with this name, a solicitor and notary public? died 13/12/1885 Stornaway. Could be Napier followed in his father's career path? There are 13 pages to this will costing 10 credits.

30 credits can be purchased online for £7 (don't know what that is in Aust $).
Linda

Offline loobylooayr

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Sunday 24 February 13 00:51 GMT (UK) »

Just noticed Bonnie...there is also a 'will' on Scotlands People for Malcolm Campbell - Son of the late Peter Campbell S.S.C and H.C.A of Scotland and the late Isabella Malcolm or Campbell D.1/1/1868 in Australia :) or somewhere abroad Intestate.
Going to bed now. Good luck with your research.
Linda

Offline BonnieDownUnder

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Sunday 24 February 13 08:45 GMT (UK) »
Hi Linda ... many thanks your messages.
I thought that Georgina Janet Campbell had left a Will but that is not correct.  So the solicitors were trying to find her 'nearest and dearest relatives' to leave whatever her worldly possessions would have been.  I feel so sad for Georgina, I feel that she didn't have a happy or health life as her father died when she was very young, and she died in an Asylum, the same one as her father.

Thanks, I have her mother's, Isabella, Will, but no joy in getting a connection to my family from that but I hadn't seen son Napier's Will so thats a good avenue to look at and also Will for Malcolm Campbell, son of Peter & Isabella Campbell/Malcolm died 1868 has me intrigued ... I still have a few credits left on TSP site

...  but will need to look at that tomorrow as I need to do dinner and off to bed.
Many thanks your messages, I really appreciate your input.
Bonnie ...

Offline loobylooayr

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Sunday 24 February 13 12:26 GMT (UK) »
Hi Bonnie,
The story of your John Campbell and the mysterious link to Georgina Campbell is really interesting.
As you say poor Georgina probably had a sad life. Looks like all the family suffered after Peter passed away.
It looks like son Malcolm was named after his mother's maiden name, which makes me wonder if Napier was named after a grandmother's maiden name as Napier is usually a surname? Only a suggestion....could be no connection to a family member at all...but might help you find a link between the two "Campbell Clans"??
I am close to a the Burns Monument Centre Kilmarnock which gives users unlimited access to Scotlands People for a daily charge.
I usually try to go for a full day (get my money's worth!) 2/3 times a year. I'm hoping to go some time March/April. I'll keep an eye on your posts and if you're still looking for info when I go I'll certainly have a quick look for you.
Good luck,
Cheers,
Linda

Offline BonnieDownUnder

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Sunday 24 February 13 19:47 GMT (UK) »
Hi Linda, I have had a look at Malcolm and his brother Napier. 'Wills' but unfortunately there is nothing there to give any clues as to a link to my Campbells.  However it does prove that Georgina was the last child of Peter and Isabella's to pass away.

I haven't been able to find anything, as yet, if Malcolm Campbell died in Australia but I do know that their brother Peter did (Melbourne) in 1886 (leaving his money to Georgina).  He was a somewhat eccentric character, known as the 'Bush Missionary', spent time in goal when he didn't pay his wife (the liaison only lasted a few months) maintenance and was involved in the Temperance Society.   However he was drunk!, when he was hit by a tram, which resulted in his death.  There are quite a few articles written about him in newspapers here in Australia from 1871 and he also published a book, a copy of which is in our State Library;  hope to visit there this week.

Thanks very much your offer to have a look at TSP site on my behalf.

Unfortunately still no offer from anyone who will be visiting the NAS Edinburgh to do a lookup.
Regards Bonnie