Author Topic: request for a will or probate lookup???  (Read 2660 times)

Offline Pels.

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: request for a will or probate lookup???
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 09 February 13 10:28 GMT (UK) »

Marriage, 31st October 1785
Bartholomew Hodskinson
Elizabeth Beesley
Saint Michael On Wyre

Since I noticed your query I've been trying to find the relationship between 'my' Elizabeth and 'your' Robert. A Leonard Beesley is the godparent to two of the children resulting from the above marriage. I would like to imagine Elizabeth, Robert and Leonard are siblings from the same family - but with the records the way they are I'm finding it difficult, unless it's just me being not very bright.

Have to credit Simon (Duck) for giving me the most magnificent help. He's the one who spent untold hours at the records office and then took me to Great Ecclestone to see the above grave he'd found !  :) :)

He left his effetcst of under 1,000 pound to his sister "Mary Cookson"!!!

Wondering if Thomas Hardiker was a Roman Catholic, if he wasn't - that might explain why he and Jane didn't marry ??

I also have Cookson's intermingled with this family, better not make it more confusing than I'm already finding it !  ;D ;D

Pels.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline kazzann

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 09 February 13 14:01 GMT (UK) »
Hello Pels,
interesting!!! Yes I have come across the name Hodskinson throughout many of my family records.
Tell me what you think of these records in regard to your Elizabeth Beesley and  Leonard...

William Beesley   age 70     a tailor
Ann Beesley       age  50    tailors wife
Henry Beesley            35   Shoe maker
Ellen , his wife             39
Henry and Ellens children
William                         8
Robert                         8   (This Robert is believed to be the Robert who married Margaret Heaton in 1784)
Leonard                       7
Elizabeth                      5
John                            3

Seeing that these Papist records came from 1767, and your Elizabeth  married in 1785... it would make Elizabeth a good age to have married!! ie : born 1762... approx  23 yrs of age at marraige!!!
And they have a brother called Leonard!!!! Bingo!!!!! 

Now, regards to Thomas Hardiker and Jane... This had always been my assumption also,,, that he was not Catholic (actually I am fairly certain he was not Catholic), as the Beesley family definatley were very staunch. I can quite easily see that they would not have been allowed to marry unless one or the other converted to the others religion. 
I would love to find more information on his trial in 1841 as it may uncover some of the family prejudices and rivalries.   According to both Jane and Thomas's death certificates... she died a spinster and he died a batchelor... but, sadly, Thomas Hardiker did not recognize any of his children in his will.
It tells me that there must have been irreconcilable rifts that occured (he did go to prison on their behalf... sort of, after all!!!). Funnily enough, when their son 'Robert Beesley" married for the second time (after mother Jane Beesley passed away)  his fathers name of "Thomas Hardicker" was acknowledged on his  wedding certificate which was not proclaimed on his first wedding certificate while his mother was still alive!!!
Anyhow, I would be interested to see what you think about the above, early  Beesley records.
Our family have the verbal stories that our Beesleys link back to the martyr, Blessed George Beesley of "The Hill" at Goosnargh. This my goal,,, to find the connection,
sincerely
Kazzan
Reid-Perthsire/Derbyshire/ Staffordshire/ Cheshire/  Lancashire
Roe-Derbyshire/Cheshire
Beesley- Lancashire
Black-Tynron, Dumfrieshire Scotland/ Sydney,Blayney, Australia
Findlay- Ireland/Lanarkshire, Scotland/ Sydney, Australia
Cheshire- Aylsbury/Buckinghamshire
Atkinson- Fylde/Little Ecclest/ Gt. Singleton/ Lancashire
Hardiker-Sowerby/ Catteral/ Fylde/Lancashire
Rawlings-North Marston, Buckinghamshire
Frank- Hilversum, Holland/ Cheshire
Wilbur- Macclesfield, Cheshire
Sizmur- Lambeth, London

Offline Pels.

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 10 February 13 18:22 GMT (UK) »

Hello again Kazzan,

Have to say I'm completely lost for words with this wealth of unexpected information. I certainly didn't expect it - as you say, it all fits together beautifully ! Thankyou very much indeed.

With kindest regards,

Pels. :) :)

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk