Author Topic: Birth Certificate Query- Difference in Registration Dates  (Read 3011 times)

Offline pirhana

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Birth Certificate Query- Difference in Registration Dates
« on: Tuesday 05 February 13 17:09 GMT (UK) »
My mother was illegitimate. There is no "Name/ Surname/ Rank or Profession of Father" stated on her Birth certificate. She was born in 1919 and her birth was registered on 23 October 1919. However in the section on the certificate for the Registrar's signature (" Witness My Hand This... Day... " )the date is 12 November 1919. On the back of the certificate in pencil is written " Record issued 13-11-19 ". Is it possible that when the birth was originally registered on 23 October 1919 the name of the father was given, but her mother changed her mind about this and a new certificate was issued ? If that was the case is there any way of finding out the father's name?

Pirhana.
Dinsdale ( North Yorkshire , Wolverhampton & North Wales) , Alderson ( North Yorkshire )Hill ( Toxteth ) , Morland ( North Yorkshire )  , Simpson ( Nathan- Lead miners North Yorkshire ), Walsh( Midlothian ), Webster ( Henry-Midlothian & Newcastle )

Offline fastfusion

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Birth Certificate Query- Difference in Registration Dates
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 05 February 13 17:14 GMT (UK) »
In my humble opinion, sometimes folk are poor and cannot afford the actual certificate on the day, but not wanting to break the law the birth is registered,  but took time to acquire the funds nessecary to get the certificate in physical form so it may have taken up to a month......

that is one reason for such a large variant of issue dates....

other folks may know more than I...........

but it is not something to be really worried about as you have the actual birth date...

:)

Online nanny jan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Russian John
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 05 February 13 17:22 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

I think a "short birth certificate" could be issued at no cost. The full one you had to pay for.

http://www.vitalcertificates.co.uk/what-is-a-long-birth-certificate-51-p.asp

Nanny Jan

Howard , Viney , Kingsman, Pain/e, Rainer/ Rayner, Barham, George, Wakeling (Catherine), Vicary (Frederick)   all LDN area/suburbs  Ottley/ MDX,
Henman/ KNT   Gandy/LDN before 1830  Burgess/LDN
Barham/SFK   Rainer/CAN (Toronto) Gillians/CAN  Sturgeon/CAN (Vancouver)
Bailey/LDN Page/KNT   Paling/WA (var)

All census look-ups are crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline pirhana

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 05 February 13 20:47 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
Thanks for those replies. Is anyone able to answer the second part of my query about finding out the father's name?

Thanks,

Pirhana
Dinsdale ( North Yorkshire , Wolverhampton & North Wales) , Alderson ( North Yorkshire )Hill ( Toxteth ) , Morland ( North Yorkshire )  , Simpson ( Nathan- Lead miners North Yorkshire ), Walsh( Midlothian ), Webster ( Henry-Midlothian & Newcastle )

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 05 February 13 21:15 GMT (UK) »
You did not have to get a certificate when registering a birth.
Section 30 of the 1874 Act stated that a registrar shall, upon demand made at the time of registering any birth by the person giving the information concerning the birth, and upon payment of a fee not exceeding three pence, give to such person a certificate under his hand, in the prescribed form, this was a short certificate. A full birth certificate cost 2s 6d. If this required a search of the indexes  then registrars could charge 1s. "for every particular search" of the indexes for not more than one year and the law also required a penny receipt stamp to be placed on each certified copy.  Thus this accounts for the usual fee of  3s.  7d. that is sometimes quoted.
 In 1968 the  fees for the Short  birth certificates ( then 9d.) were to be abolished.

Stan

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 05 February 13 21:23 GMT (UK) »
This is a short certificate issued under Section 30 of the 1874 Act.
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline barryd

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 05 February 13 22:39 GMT (UK) »
I have traced back an illegitimate SON because the mother, Sarah Baskerville, named the boy Herbert Harry E(rwin) Baskerville. The father of her child was also born illegitimate as Herbert
Claxton Irwin and a few months later the parents Mary Irwin and Hubbard Towler Claxton married and changed the boy's name to Herbert Irwin Claxton. When Herbert Erwin Baskerville married in 1907 he named his father and his father's occupation and discretely added Baskerville to his father's name on his marriage certificate. His still unmarried mother Sarah was a witness at the wedding! Obviously mother knew who the groom's father was and so did the groom. Not so easy to trace a illegitimate daughter. Thanks  to a group of Rootchatters this was a reasonably easy problem to solve. More difficult if the mother's name is Mary and she calls her illegitimate daughter Ann.   

Offline Guy Etchells

• Deceased Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 10 February 17 15:07 GMT (UK) »
That is the later type of short certificate that came in between 1874 and 1927, I think it was around 1900 but cannot confirm this the earlier short certificate had even less information on it
see http://anguline.co.uk/cert/birth.html and scroll down or see http://anguline.co.uk/cert/SAB.jpg for a copy of an 1884 short certificate
This type only carries name, date of birth, date of registration (or rather issue which in this case were the same) Registrar's signature and sub-district.

Cheers
Guy
http://anguline.co.uk/Framland/index.htm   The site that gives you facts not promises!
http://burial-inscriptions.co.uk Tombstones & Monumental Inscriptions.

As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.

Offline emeltom

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 10 February 17 15:12 GMT (UK) »
I was born in 1952 and for most of my life only had the 'short' certificate as described by Guy. I'm positive it was because my parents, at the time of my birth, did not have the money for a full cert. It was only when I started researching family history that I purchased the full cert.

Emeltom
Smith Tiplady Boulton Branthwaite King Miller Woolfall Bretherton Archer and many more