Author Topic: "Notts Southwell B.S." Completed  (Read 2460 times)

Offline Alexander.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
"Notts Southwell B.S." Completed
« on: Wednesday 06 February 13 17:23 GMT (UK) »
On the 1851 census, Ann Rogers's birthplace is given as "Notts Southwell B.S." (reference HO107/2134, f 305, p 17).

It may not be at all important, but if anyone has any ideas for what "B.S." might stand, it would be much appreciated. I've browsed a few of the surrounding pages and cannot see it next to anyone else's birthplace.

Thank you!

Alexander

Offline Nottschick

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: "Notts Southwell B.S."
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 06 February 13 20:16 GMT (UK) »
If no-one comes up with the answer to this, I'm hoping to visit Nottingham archives on Wednesday and I will ask the very helpful archivists if they know. 

NC

Offline Alexander.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 07 February 13 05:42 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Nottschick - that would be much appreciated. Since posting I've had a few ideas about what it might be, but none of them seem very likely.

Alexander

Offline IMBER

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 07 February 13 10:29 GMT (UK) »
It usually means "British Subject", but with the birthplace tending to be overseas. Did her parents have any foreign connection?

Imber
Skewis (Wales and Scotland), Ayers (Maidenhead, Berkshire), Hildreth (Berkshire)

Offline Alexander.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 07 February 13 16:29 GMT (UK) »
Hi Imber,

I thought it might be that, but all her family was from Notts, and had no foreign connection at all.

Yesterday I searched for the household instructions for the 1851 census but I couldn't find them. If it said in the instructions to write British Subject next to a foreign birthplace, perhaps she or whoever filled out the schedule misunderstood the instructions?

Alexander

Offline larkspur

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Tracing myself back to better people.Or maybe not!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 07 February 13 17:26 GMT (UK) »
Alexander I have a friend and her 4x gt grandmother also had BS next to her name, which came quite out of the blue. Turns out she was born in Belgium. All the other children were born in Yorkshire, she has never discovered why this child was born abroad. Stranger things can happen!!
AREA, Nottinghamshire. Lincolnshire. Staffordshire. Leicestershire, Morayshire.
Paternal Line--An(t)(c)liff(e).Faulkner. Mayfield. Cant. Davison. Caunt. Trigg. Rawding. Buttery. Rayworth. Pepper. Otter. Whitworth. Gray. Calder. Laing.Wink. Wright. Jackson. Taylor.
Maternal Line--Linsey. Spicer. Corns. Judson. Greensmith. Steel. Woodford. Ellis. Wyan. Callis. Warriner. Rawlin. Merrin. Vale. Summerfield. Cartwright.
Husbands-Beckett. Heald. Pilkington. Arnold. Hall. Willows. Dring. Newcomb. Hawley

Offline IMBER

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 08 February 13 09:45 GMT (UK) »
Hi Imber,

I thought it might be that, but all her family was from Notts, and had no foreign connection at all.

Yesterday I searched for the household instructions for the 1851 census but I couldn't find them. If it said in the instructions to write British Subject next to a foreign birthplace, perhaps she or whoever filled out the schedule misunderstood the instructions?

Alexander

Yes, I have come across people doing exactly that but for ALL the family.

Imber
Skewis (Wales and Scotland), Ayers (Maidenhead, Berkshire), Hildreth (Berkshire)

Offline Nottschick

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 13 February 13 17:09 GMT (UK) »
I asked the archivist today and he confirmed that it means British Subject but could not explain why her birthplace is clearly shown as Southwell in that census and the next but without BS in 1861.  He could only assume that the enumerator made an error somehow. 

NC.

Offline Alexander.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: "Notts Southwell B.S." Completed
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 13 February 13 19:16 GMT (UK) »
NC, thanks for asking. It's a shame "BS" doesn't mean anything significant, but at least I can stop wondering now. ;)

Thank you all for your input.

Alexander