Author Topic: Lawson Groutage  (Read 2541 times)

Offline swampinstein

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Lawson Groutage
« on: Wednesday 06 February 13 20:39 GMT (UK) »
I'm looking for any info on....

Lawson Groutage and his wife Sophia North.
Lawson was born 1879 Stafford England and died 1956 Montreal Canada.
Any info on his time in Canada would be a great help.
I would also be interested in any children he may have had.
Sperry
Leicester
Bagworth
Heather
Prime
Gadsby
spence
Knight

Offline JaneyCanuck

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • The Famous Five take tea on Parliament Hill
    • View Profile
Re: Lawson Groutage
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 07 February 13 00:02 GMT (UK) »
Hiya - have you looked in the censuses available on line and not found them?

1901 and 1911 at http://www.automatedgenealogy.com

1871, 1881 and 1891 (searchable by name) at http://www.bac-lac.gc.ca/eng/census/Pages/census.aspx

Or was he not here before 1911? If you know his immigration date ...

https://familysearch.org/ also shows people named Evelyn Lawson Groutage (born c1881 Stafford) and Douglas Lawson Groutage (born c1907 British Columbia, son of father Evelyn Lawson Groutage), in BC; any relation?

... They don't seem to have married in England, so he immigrated quite young and married in Canada?

I'm not seeing the names in 1901 or 1911, or 1891 ... mistranscriptions being always possible. Ah. He was in England in 1901, at least, unmarried aged 22.
HILL, HOARE, BOND, SIBLY, Cornwall (Devon); DENNIS, PAGE, WHITBREAD, Essex; BARNARD, CASTLE, PONTON, Wiltshire; SANKEY, HORNE, YOUNG, Kent; COWDELL, Bermondsey; COOPER, SMITH, FALLOWELL, WILLEY, Notts; CAMPION, CARTER, CRADDOCK, KENNY, Northants; LITTLER, CORNER, Leicestershire; RUSHLAND, Lincolnshire; MORRISON, Ireland; COLLINS, ?; ... MONCK?

Offline swampinstein

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 07 February 13 00:19 GMT (UK) »
All the info I have is his birth and death and his family in Stafford.
One of his brothers went to Illinios USA.
Sperry
Leicester
Bagworth
Heather
Prime
Gadsby
spence
Knight

Offline JaneyCanuck

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 07 February 13 00:35 GMT (UK) »
But you know his wife's name was Sophia North ... so you presumably know that he married in Canada?

For Quebec BMD records, the Drouin Collection is available at Ancestry with a subscription for worldwide or Canadian records (which I don't have). There is one entry for the surname: Hundsdon Wynn Groutage, for which I can't see date or other details. By trial and error, it seems to be a marriage, possibly to Fanny Wynn Groutage, 1911. I then also get a result for a marriage for Stella Groutage, 1938, originally mistranscribed as Sentage and then corrected by a user. Trying just by given name Lawson, I don't get any BMD result that looks like Groutage.

- edit - lost my train of thought there I guess -- the apparent 1911 spouse was Fanny Elizabeth Chapman. Stella Sentage/Groutage married Maxwell Llyde Elphick (all as transcribed at Anc'y).

I also couldn't see anyone who looked like him for surname Groutage in outgoing passenger records at FindMyPast.

Someone says they had one child and shows a marriage for that child.
http://www.familycentral.net/index/family.cfm?ref1=5505:1243&ref2=5505:1249
Apparently he had a sister Stella:
http://www.familycentral.net/index/family.cfm?ref1=5505:1223&ref2=5505:1224
so perhaps the Stella who married in Quebec in 1938 was a daughter.

What have you tried, to look for information?

You're welcome!

HILL, HOARE, BOND, SIBLY, Cornwall (Devon); DENNIS, PAGE, WHITBREAD, Essex; BARNARD, CASTLE, PONTON, Wiltshire; SANKEY, HORNE, YOUNG, Kent; COWDELL, Bermondsey; COOPER, SMITH, FALLOWELL, WILLEY, Notts; CAMPION, CARTER, CRADDOCK, KENNY, Northants; LITTLER, CORNER, Leicestershire; RUSHLAND, Lincolnshire; MORRISON, Ireland; COLLINS, ?; ... MONCK?

Offline swampinstein

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 07 February 13 01:02 GMT (UK) »
I've been doing searches on the net. I'm not paid member to any genealogy sites..ie. ancestry.
I put a request on the America board on here for Thomas Groutage (Lawson's brother) and got quite a bit of info. I have hopefully found a living relative of Thomas on facebook and with a bit of luck they might know something about Lawson.

Yes they had a sister Stella
Sperry
Leicester
Bagworth
Heather
Prime
Gadsby
spence
Knight

Offline swampinstein

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 07 February 13 01:04 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for your help...I wouldn't know where to begin with Canadian records.
Sperry
Leicester
Bagworth
Heather
Prime
Gadsby
spence
Knight

Offline cosmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 07 February 13 01:58 GMT (UK) »
Lawson is on the 1901 British census in Walsall Wood Staffordshire living with his parents (James and Sophia).   He had and older sister Florence, sister Stella and niece Dorothy (6) all living with James and Sophia.  In 1911 only the girls are in the household.

Directories for Montreal show a L Groutage in Verdun starting in 1912/1913 working as a bookkeeper.  Canadian Voters lists show Lawson in Verdun with a wife (unnamed) from which you might draw the conclusion that the L Groutage of the directories is Lawson.

Can't seem to find any entries in the Drouin collection for him or on passenger lists - his name might be horribly transcribed thus making it harder to find him.

Offline cosmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 07 February 13 02:31 GMT (UK) »
 The Lawson North Groutage in Verdun was married to Amy Hyde.  Will PM details of his child and grandson.

Offline JaneyCanuck

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 07 February 13 02:43 GMT (UK) »
So that Lawson North Groutage seems like a son?

If we assume that Stella was a daughter, she married Maxwell Clyde Elphick in 1938 (so I will assume the two are deceased). That's not a name there are likely two of. ;) There are voters list entries for 1958 and for both names in 1963 in Longueuil. There are two Anc'y trees that show him (died 1986/7 in Ontario), one with the 1938 marriage but no spouse details.

Those trees can be accessed, and the owners contacted, free of charge by registering at mundia.com.

I'll PM contact info for a person I suspect is a child of that couple.