Author Topic: Descendants of Donald Cameron and Janetta "Netta" McEwan  (Read 3779 times)

Offline Genae

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Descendants of Donald Cameron and Janetta "Netta" McEwan
« on: Thursday 07 February 13 04:21 GMT (UK) »
I'm a beginner so I hope you will bear with me.
I'm looking for descendants of Donald Cameron b. abt. 1886 d. 1958 Ross and Cromarty and his wife, Janetta "Netta" McEwan b. abt. 1892 Eday, Orkney d. 1977 Ross and Cromarty.  They are buried at Fortrose Old Cemetery. Donald was a Officer of Customs and Excise (RTD). I don't know if they had children and I'm not sure where to go to further my research. Any help will be appreciated.

Genae

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Descendants of Donald Cameron and Janetta "Netta" McEwan
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 07 February 13 09:12 GMT (UK) »
Probably Scotland's People would be the place to go?

www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/

It is pay-per-view, but I don't think the records are anywhere else?
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Online MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 07 February 13 09:20 GMT (UK) »
Hi Genea

Welcome to RootsChat  :)

These seem to be the details you have from here http://gravestones.rosscromartyroots.co.uk/picture/number4622.asp

What searches have you done already? You are looking for descendants rather than ancestors from what you say? What other info do you have on them so far? Have you searched for their marriage (I think this was in 1921)? Given Donald's occupation, he could well have moved around the country and the children, if any, may not necessarily have all been born in Scotland.

Have you checked their death certs to see who the informant to their deaths was? Often it will be a family member, such as a child, that can help with gaps. Donald Cameron may have also left a will that might contain relevant info that could help you.

Monica  :)
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Genae

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 07 February 13 17:09 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for the suggestions. I have Netta's ancestry but nothing else that would help with herdescendants. I will check into death certificates and wills at Scotland's People. Is it possible there would be a record of who purchased the monument at Fortrose?

Genae

Online MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 07 February 13 17:45 GMT (UK) »
There will likely be records of who purchased the lair. Maybe other details?

Not sure where you are based. If you are based in Scotland and near one of the main genealogy centres, you can look up more recent information rather than having to order it. Due to data protection/privacy issues, these are the current cut off to be able to view certificates online on SP www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/Content/Help/index.aspx?r=554&413

You will be able to view the marriage cert in 1921 (hope it is the right one, it looks to be the only one showing with the names we have).

For deaths, the current cut off is 1961 (50 year rule). So, you should be able to view Donald's death online but Netta's would need to be viewed at one of these Scottish centres or ordered.

The current cut off to view wills & testaments online is 1925 (just been extended recently from 1901). Some guidance notes here www.nas.gov.uk/guides/wills.asp

Monica  :)

Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Genae

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 08 February 13 23:44 GMT (UK) »
Thanks again, Monica. I have been able to gather a bit more information but still nothing to indicate descendants of this couple. Donald Cameron died 1958 Viewmount, Fortrose (this may have been a hospital). His parents were Donald Cameron and Jessie Budge. The informant on his death record was his brother-in-law, Alexander Adam McEwen. Janetta "Netta" Cameron died 21 Jan 1977 (no image on SP site). Donald and Netta were married 1921 Wick, Caithness. Donald's parents and siblings are buried at the Old Municipal Cemetery, Wick, Caithness. I haven't checked into the wills yet.

Offline crwhitton

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 21 November 19 15:19 GMT (UK) »
Hopefully you will get this message. The above people has no children but cared for a neice. I have visited the house Viewmont with her around 1972.(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,to avoid spamming and other abuses.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 21 November 19 20:28 GMT (UK) »
Is it possible there would be a record of who purchased the monument at Fortrose?
It's possible.

Start with the Highland Archive Centre. If they don't have the lair book, they should know who does.
https://www.highlifehighland.com/highland-archive-centre/
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline crwhitton

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 21 November 19 20:48 GMT (UK) »
Her neice. Mrs Ruby Gunn née Reid. A family friend of mine. She is now deceased. I can tell you about her if you wish. Are you related.