Author Topic: Annie Lawler  (Read 9374 times)

Offline Xotan

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Annie Lawler
« on: Thursday 07 February 13 16:18 GMT (UK) »
Annie and * Lawler were twins and seem to have come from Rathvilly.   Sometime in the late(?) 1940s/early 1950s they emigrated to England, and then to Australia.  Annie died there about 12 years ago and is buried in Sydney.  Her sister, I believe, was still living as of two years ago. 

I would like to find out, if possible where Annie is buried and perhaps get a photo of her grave.  Carlow seems to be the best place to start the search.  Can anyone help with information, please?

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Annie & * Lawler
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 07 February 13 16:28 GMT (UK) »
If Annie died in Australia then the Australia board would be the best place to ask about a photo of a gravestone (if one exists) and burial details.

Please remember that we aren't allowed to post details of living or possibly living people. If anyone haas information on Margaret probably best to send it to you by PM (Persoanl Message).
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Xotan

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 07 February 13 16:58 GMT (UK) »
HI Aghadowey,

Sorry.  I didn't make it clear.  My interest is in Annie only.  I mentioned * only because she was/is a twin.  In fact, I have reason to believe that * is also dead.  She and Annie are both commemorated (first names only) on a stone in Rathvilly cemetery.

I thought that Carlow was the place to start because I have no information about Annie in Australia, other than that she is buried in Sydney.  She may have married and her name may have changed.  I reckoned it was more likely that someone in Carlow might have information bearing on this.

If, however, you feel I am stretching the rules, I will happily fall into line with what you suggest.  Please advise me.

Xotan/David

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 07 February 13 17:06 GMT (UK) »
I think you are going to need a bit more information to start a search at either end.... finding death or burial in Sydney could be a problem - especially if she married.

What else do you know about Anne - do you have parents names, her date of birth ?
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline Xotan

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 07 February 13 17:11 GMT (UK) »
Hi Shane - tell me about it!  I am working on what little I have, but being in the South of France doesn't make research easy.  I was lucky to find the family grave where they are commemorated.  But I expect to be in Ireland on my annual pilgrimage to my family's graves and will be doing some on the spot searching  in Carlow too.  I also have made a contact there who is looking out for me.

I reckon I have too little to go on to bother Australia at this point; and need to find out more in Ireland first so as to have some hope of locating Annie.  Annie is family and particularly dear to my partner - hence the interest.

Xotan/David

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: Annie Lawler
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 07 February 13 17:31 GMT (UK) »
If Anne is family and related in some way can you not start the search from what you already know - i.e. her parents, or siblings, dates of birth etc ?

The online Index for NSW BMDs covers up to 1962 for marriages, and 1982 for deaths. Not sure what's involved in searching for later records, but if you have parents names and year of birth a match might be possible...

The NSW certs are quite detailed and should show parents names to match against

there are a number of Lawler households (44 people) in the general area on the 1911 census that might be connected

Lawler, Rathvilly DED 1911

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline Xotan

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 18 February 13 20:45 GMT (UK) »
Hi
Shane, we have been looking through the list to see who would be the most likely line to follow.  Quite honestly we are bamboozled.  I think that we need to try to nail down some information from people in the family in Ireland.  Alas, we will not be going there until September.

In the meanwhile that is not a lot we can do.  We will gather the few facts we have together into a folder and use this as an aide memoire to show to family in Carlow.  Other than that, given the reluctance we have met to pass information, there is little we can do but to put the matter onto the shelf until we arrive.

We do appreciate the help, and realise that we are starting off with so little information that we are lookiing for a needle in the proverbial haycock.

Offline Xotan

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 28 September 13 09:12 BST (UK) »
It's been a while since last I posted on this thread - a health issue, a long-term guest, some necessary travel, and even a holiday have limited the amount of time I had available.

Still, I have not entirely neglected the matter.  I have discovered that some of the information that was gleaned earlier was not quite on the mark (there was confusion over twins, emigration to Australia etc) and this led to pursuing some false trails.  There was a breakthrough, though, and this led to getting some documents which steered me back onto the right path.

I can now confirm from documents that Annie Lawler (confirmed NOT Lawlor)

- born 26 July 1920
 - died 30 January 1941 in the County Home.  This rules out Australia.
 - she had worked as a domestic in Carlow.
 - is commemorated on a headstone in Rathvilly cemetery
 - She was not a twin.

Now another mystery.  I cannot be sure she was buried in Rathvilly.  There is no record of her death or burial in the parish records.  The commemoration on the headstone could be a simple memorial rather than an actual record of burial.  The death certificate, of course, does not mention burial.

When I saw the inscription on the stone I thought the matter was finally cracked.  Then the news came in that there is no burial record in Rathvilly...  I have an inquiry under way with Carlow County Library to see if there is a death notice in the Nationalist paper.  I hope, if there is, it may give a location for the burial.

Any other ideas or thoughts as to where to research confirmation, please? 

Offline Xotan

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 15 October 13 16:05 BST (UK) »
Looks like I may be talking to myself here, but I could hardly have a better audience than that ;D.

We have met a hitherto unknown first cousin in Co. Wexford on the way to/from the ferry, and have established a good link there, pooling our information.  This has resulted in being able to construct a family tree which extends back to the 1850s.  Quite a step forward!  Of course each discovery leads to more questions.  that is the nature of genealogy, I suppose.

One question that is perhaps the most pressing is the burial place of Annie Lawler dob 1920, dod 1941.  In my previous posting I mentioned that there is no record in the Parish House, Rathvilly, of her burial in the cemetery there.  As she died in Carlow I am now assuming that the burial would have taken place in a cemetery there.  The library in Carlow was unable to help me when I queried, as the relevant records were 'under other registers' which the person was unable to lift.  I can appreciate that there would be a personal difficulty, but it is not really satisfactory that records should not be available.  However, we rely so much on the goodwill of people that I was reluctant to press the matter.  The problem is what to do now?

Some information points back towards the County Library: unmarried mothers anf their babies, I have just been informed, were were not allowed to leave the County Home unless they were getting married.  Therefore Annie Lawler would have been buried in Saint Mary's Cemetery, Carlow, and not in Rathvilly.  But I am unable to find records for Saint Mary's burials on the web.  Actually, I am grasping at straws.