Author Topic: Charles Bottcher/Boettcher from Prussia Danzig  (Read 2136 times)

Offline kathleenmitchell

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Charles Bottcher/Boettcher from Prussia Danzig
« on: Thursday 07 February 13 16:25 GMT (UK) »
I am still trying to trace my 2 x great grandfather Charles Bottcher who was born in Danzig/Gdansk Prussia in 1850/53, he moved to Scotland as a seaman and married in 1878, he gave his parents names as John Bottcher - Flour Mill Manager and Caroline Smith, his mother on other documents was Caroline Lins, Charles was German and anglisied his name to Butcher, but I have also seen his name spelt Boettcher, the only consistant thing was that he was born in Danzig and was German, I would love to be able to crack this side of the family if anyone can help, I am sure there would have been brothers and sisters

Regards
kathy
GREENOCK.  Mitchell, Foley, Ferguson, Sweeney, Beckett, Sheekey, Branchfield, McDermid, Crighton, Canavan
LIVERPOOL. Otty, Holmes, Crighton
CO TYRONE, FERMANAGH, ANTRIM, DERRY.   Mitchell, Elliott,Dowds, Mcguire, McFall
COUNTY CARLOW. Foley, Doyle
DENMARK. Holm
WIGTOWNSHIRE.  Ferguson, Milroy, Dickson, Gunlock, Aitcheson/Hutcheson

Offline Lookin2

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Charles Bottcher/Boettcher from Prussia Danzig
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 07 February 13 17:06 GMT (UK) »
Hello

I have seen many spellings of that name.  Have you tried to Google it.  I did in Dec.3 2000 checking out the Diehl family and Boecher was listed.  Family search  came up with Butscha.  Many German immigrants  in the US so that Board may help you.  Good luck.  Lookin2
Howlett, Brown, Woodroofe, Mills, Battey, Woods

Offline doddsie4

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 08 February 13 17:40 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
      Census for 1881 at 9 E Shaw St, Greenock West:
Charles Butcher   aged 30 born Germany.  Labourer in iron work
Mary    Butcher           26 born Portree G, Invernessshire.

Census 1891 at 1 West Stewart St, Greenock
Charles Butcher     aged 38 b Germany  Ship Yard Labourer
Mary                           36 b Portree
Margaret                       7 b Greenock   Scholar
Christina                        3 b Greenock

Census 1901 at 51 Nicholson St, Greenock
Charles Butcher      aged 48 Shipyard Machinist  b Danzieg, Germany
Mary                            46                            b Portree
Maggie daughter  Beckett  17 Machinist's wife    b Greenock
Christina            Butcher  12                          b Greenock
Thomas Becket (Son in Law) 19 Shipyard Machinist
Amelie   Becket                3 months

Charles Butcher (or someone with that name) died later in nearby Gourock.     I think it is him.

The 1901 census is a little bit tricky.     It seems Margaret Butcher married Thomas Beckett and had Amelie.        Unless I am mistaken, Charles married a Mary Buchanan at Greenock on the date you mentioned.

Offline kathleenmitchell

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 09 February 13 16:19 GMT (UK) »
Thank you both for that help, I have Charles traced from when he lived in Greenock, he was a bit of a lover!!, I was trying to find further back to see if he had anymore family.

regards
Kathy
GREENOCK.  Mitchell, Foley, Ferguson, Sweeney, Beckett, Sheekey, Branchfield, McDermid, Crighton, Canavan
LIVERPOOL. Otty, Holmes, Crighton
CO TYRONE, FERMANAGH, ANTRIM, DERRY.   Mitchell, Elliott,Dowds, Mcguire, McFall
COUNTY CARLOW. Foley, Doyle
DENMARK. Holm
WIGTOWNSHIRE.  Ferguson, Milroy, Dickson, Gunlock, Aitcheson/Hutcheson

Offline Rudolf H B

• RootsChat Veteran
  • His gt grandchildren KIA on both sides in WW1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 25 May 14 18:32 BST (UK) »
Hello Kathy,

I have an ancestor for you:

C.F. Böttcher, Korn-Capitain, Böttchergasse 1061. (Address book Danzig, 1817) - Korn-Capitain has something to do with cereal business and exprt of Danzig, but he is no sailor.

This might be the grandfather of Charles, C.F. might be Carl Friedrich.

Do you know the religion of Charles (Carl or Karl) - Lutheran, Reformed or Catholic? There are more than 20 churches in Danzig.

John = Johann, Johannes or Hans; Smith = Schmidt (or Schmied ...); Lins could it be Linse, or could it be a short form of Caroline, like Lina or Line?

I will post the Boettchers of 1897 in one of my blogs - you will get the link. Most of the Böttchers went to western Germany in and after 1945, today there are 190 Bottcher-families in Poland.

Boettcher is a name from Saxony-Anhalt and the eastern part of Germany - the correct translation is COOPER! - http://wiki-de.genealogy.net/B%C3%B6ttcher_(Familienname) Have a look here: http://wiki-de.genealogy.net/B%C3%B6ttcherwerkstatt_Thole

This might be helpfull: http://wiki-de.genealogy.net/Danzig/Zufallsfunde#B But don´t expect a quick response.

NB: My grandfather Max Böttcher had been shipbuilding engineer in Danzig (Schichau dockyard), his eldest son got the name Hans and my sister married a Schmid - but my grandfather Max came from Anhalt and he had no relatives in Danzig.

Best regards
Rudolf 
Goldschmidt; Gregory, Maude, Nancy Price, Welby (UK),
Goldschmidt > Goldsmith, Benetta, Bloom, Gillis, McDonough, Moses, Wheaton (Australia / NZ),
Spatz & Henderson (Greater London),
Herbert Spatz MC > H. Spence MC (Salisbury),
Spatz > Spence, Nichols. Kidd (Bromley > Manchester South, India),
Spatz > Spaatz (Boyertown, PA - USA),
Engel & Joly (Philadelphia, PA - USA).
Kummerer (London, Chicago & Australia).

WW1 - Cousins Killed in Action in the Australian, English, French & German Armies

Offline Rudolf H B

• RootsChat Veteran
  • His gt grandchildren KIA on both sides in WW1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 27 May 14 23:30 BST (UK) »
Hi Kathy,

here are some updates:

Charles (Carl) - it is possible that he has got his name from his mother, or her father!
Caroline is the female version of Carl. There could be a Carl Smith, instead of a Carl Boettcher.

Two thirds of the people of Danzig had been Lutheran, one third had been Catholic. I guess that about 5 percent had an other religion. There had been mennonites, reformed, foreigners, ...

In 1845 there had been a German Catholic movement in Germany, see Wikipedia (en & de). I guess two third of the members had been Catholic and one third (or less) lutheran. Members of this church have founded later on free communities in the United States.

The houses of Boettchergasse (Gasse = narrow street) have been totally destroyed in and after the last days of WW2. Even the street is no longer existing.

Nearby there are three old & beautiful churches (reconstructed or restored):
- St Katherinen (lutheran)
- St Brigitten (catholic)
- St Joseph (catholic)

The LDS church have the films, same order as above:
- https://familysearch.org/eng/library/fhlcatalog/supermainframeset.asp?display=titledetails&titleno=233415&disp=Kirchenbuch%20%20&columns=*,0,0
- https://familysearch.org/eng/library/fhlcatalog/supermainframeset.asp?display=titledetails&titleno=230404&disp=Kirchenbuch%20%20&columns=*,0,0
- https://familysearch.org/eng/library/fhlcatalog/supermainframeset.asp?display=titledetails&titleno=230500&disp=Kirchenbuch%20%20&columns=*,0,0

In 1817, several Boettchers in the Boettchergasse had been Boettchers = coopers. We can guess that the ancestors of the above C.F. Boettcher, had been coopers in the 18th century.

1061 is a house number, ALL the houses of Danzig had been numbered, starting from number 1. The houses are not numbered streetwise.

Best regards
Rudolf H. Boettcher
Goldschmidt; Gregory, Maude, Nancy Price, Welby (UK),
Goldschmidt > Goldsmith, Benetta, Bloom, Gillis, McDonough, Moses, Wheaton (Australia / NZ),
Spatz & Henderson (Greater London),
Herbert Spatz MC > H. Spence MC (Salisbury),
Spatz > Spence, Nichols. Kidd (Bromley > Manchester South, India),
Spatz > Spaatz (Boyertown, PA - USA),
Engel & Joly (Philadelphia, PA - USA).
Kummerer (London, Chicago & Australia).

WW1 - Cousins Killed in Action in the Australian, English, French & German Armies