Author Topic: Hooey`s of Cavan  (Read 9821 times)

Offline kinhammer

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Hooey`s of Cavan
« on: Friday 08 February 13 03:26 GMT (UK) »
Hi Everyone. New to the site and I am looking for any help locating Robert Hooey (b.1750) and his wife (m. 1797?) Catherine Pringle. Apparently from Cootehill but I have no proof. I know of 8 children sarah, joseph, robert, james sr, john, susannah, james jr, william apparently born in cootehill before moving to Canada. Robert`s brother John went to NY with his family. Thinking the James buried (1772-1844) in Cartwright, Ont. Canada is my gggggrandfather. Hope I haven`t confused anyone as much as I already am  ???. Ships list are of no help. Roberts niece Sarah who married a Ferguson came to Canada around 1831 but I can find only hearsay. Thanks!

Offline RunKitty

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Hooey`s of Cavan
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 16 February 13 05:19 GMT (UK) »
Hi, and welcome to Rootschat!!

I had a similar problem -- trying to link my Canadian Grandma's family to their Irish roots in Co. Cavan.  I may even have a slight connection to you.  My Grandma's great aunt Letitia Hall married Stewart Hooey, from Cartwright, Durham.  His background was Irish too. 

I haven't researched Stewart's family in detail, but I know from the census records that he was born in 1866 to David and Elizabeth Hooey.  The family lived in Cartwright.  According to the censuses, David was born about 1812 in Ireland, and Elizabeth was born in 1823 in Ireland.  They had 10 children, and Stewart was the youngest.  The children were all born in Canada - the eldest (William) in 1840.  Perhaps Stewart and his family fit into your tree somewhere.  If so, let me know and I can give you a bit more information about Stewart.  My grandma was very fond of him. 

Here are a few ideas for you to try ... to trace your Canadian family backwards: 

The free mundia site has several trees that show your James with the parents you mention.  Most say that the family came from Cavan.  If you haven't already done so, I suggest that you have a look at these trees to find a "tree owner" that you can contact.  Hint -- look at the sources listed for each tree.  Try to find a tree that lists censuses, marriage records etc... and start there.  Hopefully, you will find out how other researchers have made the connection to Co. Cavan.   

See part 2...

Offline RunKitty

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 16 February 13 05:50 GMT (UK) »
Part 2

If you are in Ontario, a great source would be local history books.  Contact a library in Durham and/or talk to the Durham branch of the Ontario Genealogical Society to see what they have. 

http://durham.ogs.on.ca/
For a list of archives, repositories and libraries in the area, look on the above site, under the Resources tab.  Choose Web Links (on the left of the page) then choose Starting on the Internet.   

I just did a quick search on the Toronto Public Library site and came up with these books:
http://www.torontopubliclibrary.ca/search.jsp?Ntt=Cartwright+%28Ont.%29--History.&Ntk=Subject_Search_Interface

The Toronto library has an excellent genealogy collection.  Some things are at the downtown reference library, but the extensive "Canadiana collection" is at the North York branch.

See here too:
http://olddurhamcounty.webs.com/cartwrighttownship.htm

Often, local history books contain bios of early settlers.  You may be able to find out where they came from.. and when. 

Sometimes there are local Church histories too (with bios of early church members).  The Canadian censuses will tell you what denomination your family was.  Contact the local church that they would have attended and see if they have any books about their history. 

Unfortunately, it is highly unlikely that you will find passenger records pre 1865. 
http://www.collectionscanada.gc.ca/genealogy/022-908.002-e.html

Also - there is always a chance that people wrote more than their birth and death dates on their tombstones.  Some of the stones for my earliest Irish Canadian and Scottish Canadian ancestors are very specific about where they came from.  One even mentions military service (from the early 1800s). 

I don't know much about Irish resources, but all of the above ideas helped me to work backwards through Canadian resources to get to Ireland.  I hope some of these ideas may help you too. 

RK  :) :)

PS - if you need any help researching your Canadian Hooeys,  you can post your questions on the Canadian board.   :) :) 

Offline RunKitty

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 16 February 13 05:52 GMT (UK) »
The ourroots site has the Cartwright revisited book online.  There is a photo of your Sarah Hooey, wife of Samuel Fergusson here:

http://www.ourroots.ca/page.aspx?id=966175&qryID=814ccd65-c351-4205-81a3-8a187b1d41a9

The caption says that they were Irish, and when the arrived in Canada, they spent "14 years in Cavan", then moved to Cartwright in 1836.  Their 2 eldest children were born in Ireland.  The Cavan this quote refers to would be Cavan township, Durham, Ontario.  At least this gives a time frame for her arrival in Canada.  About 1822.

RK :)

Offline Les57

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 16 February 13 11:38 GMT (UK) »
Greetings, your Hooey or Hoey (as recorded in the church records) attended the following church:
http://www.presbyterianireland.org/congregations/coroneary.html I had a look in the baptismal records which commence 1764 and find the following: Robert Hoey & Catherine Pringle, 4th child, Robert 1775; 5th child, David 1779, 6th child Robert 1781; 7th child, William 1784. (all baptismal dates) It's most likely the 4th child Robert died so the 6th was then named Robert also. Hooey's/Hoey's (it was pronounced who-e) lived on the Bailieborough to Cootehill road just north of Canningstown, some Hoey's lived there until about 15 years ago. There are a few more Hoey families recorded in the church records. Here we have the Hooey family in the 1901 Census:
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Cavan/Coroneary/Latsey/1046450/
Drop me an email if you want the other Hooey families details. Les

Offline kinhammer

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 05 March 13 10:50 GMT (UK) »
Thank you both for your welcomes and your replies. I will follow up on your advice and will likely have some more questions soon. I am a Canadian Hooey living in Japan so I am forced to do all my research online. Time consuming but lots of fun. Trying to get things narrowed down for my trip to Ireland summer 2014.  :)Thanks again!

Offline johnbee

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 16 July 13 20:35 BST (UK) »
I have some transcripts of letters sent by David Hooey from Durham County, Ontario (Cartwright and Cavan Townships). David apparently had an agent in Cavan, Ireland, looking after his business in Ireland. In these letters he refers to many people both in Ireland and Canada.

Offline sharonhowie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 18 May 15 19:02 BST (UK) »
Hi Folk - I believe I am a descendant of Robert Hooey/Hoey b.1750, descendant through David.
David b.1779 was the father of William b.1809, who was the father of Wilbert b.1858.
William immigrated to Canada, with his three sons in 1844, ended in Durham county.

Wilbert had a son Hubert (Howie - Hubert changed it) b.1893 and is my grandfather.
My father is Douglas Howie b.1939, the name was changed by Hubert for some reason.
We have been trying to trace our roots to Ireland for years now, and only discovered in the last two days the connection to Cavan and Ballieborough.

I would love to connect with you all and piece together our ancestry and more about the family, and also confirm the lineage and that we are in fact from Cavan, Robert's family and I've stumbled upon the correct David.

We do not know much of who the Hoey's were in Cavan, what they did, and how many there are out there.

I am now a Grattan, married an Irish descendant of course, and want to piece together that side of our heritage now too.
We have a lot of highland Scot on the Canadian Hoey side, mainly all maternal side...Wallace, McMillian and Muirhead.

Any help appreciate. You can respond here or email me directly at sharon dot grattan at gmail dot com

Offline Jack2227

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 19 May 15 17:53 BST (UK) »
findmypast has

Robert Hooey- born Coothill-1864

Robert Hooey married in 1885 (Cavan District) Martha Francey

Robery Hooey-death-1931 (b.1862)
================================
Jack