Author Topic: Imray/Memess (Memmes?) help!  (Read 6871 times)

Offline natp_70

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Imray/Memess (Memmes?) help!
« on: Friday 08 February 13 14:54 GMT (UK) »
I'm really hoping someone can help!  I have found my greatx4 grandfather, the Reverend John Imray, minister of Longside Parish, Peterhead, Aberdeenshire and he married a Catherine Memess (Memmes?), born somewhere between 1779 and 1781 in Stonehaven, Kincardineshire, in December 1816.  I cannot find a record of either their marriage (and where it took place) or Catherine's birth.  John's father was James Imray, a carpenter in Aberdeen.  This tree is a gift for someone and I would dearly love to take it back as far as possible.  Any and all help very gratefully received!

Offline ev

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Drumkilbo
    • View Profile
Re: Imray/Memess (Memmes?) help!
« Reply #1 on: Friday 08 February 13 17:28 GMT (UK) »
Hi , and welcome to Rootschat  :)

Have you looked at Catherine's death certificate(1875) for her parents ?

Based on what you have this looks a possibly match for John(not sure how you would prove this if John died 1848  :-\ )
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/XBQ7-29R

ev
Census information Crown copyright , All Census information from transcriptions - check original records , Familysearch/IGI is a finding tool only - check original records

Offline heymin

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 08 February 13 17:38 GMT (UK) »
Hi, I'm not sure if the following is any help but here goes. I found them on the 1841 census and John is listed as 50 years old and born in Aberdeenshire and his wife is listed as Cath and 60 years old born in Scotland. On her death in 1875 her maiden name is listed as Memes. They had a son John (1820-1902) who went on to great things(google).
Brian
Strachan,Wood,Leiper,Craig,King,Smith,Shearer,Reid,Wilson,Galloway,Buthlay,McLean.
Aberdeen,Slains,Nigg, Findon,Portlethen,Monquhitter,Cumineston,Banff,Oldmeldrum

Offline natp_70

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 08 February 13 17:45 GMT (UK) »
Hi heymin and ev
Thanks so much for coming back to me.  I haven't been able to access the actual birth/death certificates certificates as I would have to come up to Scotland to do that (which I will be doing hopefully at some point).  So far, I've managed to access similar data to that which you have found (though heymin I would love to know where you found her maiden name?).
John did indeed go on to great things, whilst the other son Robert seemed quite happy to stay near home as a farmer, and I have lots of information on John.
For my next challenge I would like to find his father James, the Aberdeen carpenter! Any help out there from you more experienced genealogists?  :D
And thank you again!

Offline heymin

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 08 February 13 17:55 GMT (UK) »
Hi, The info came from scotlandspeople.gov.uk which you can access remotely. You have to purchase a minimum 30 credits for £7. You will use 6 credits to get the information which should list her parents amongst other things. She was 95 when she died.
Brian
PS  I should say the spelling is only as accurate as the registrar or the person who registered the death.
Strachan,Wood,Leiper,Craig,King,Smith,Shearer,Reid,Wilson,Galloway,Buthlay,McLean.
Aberdeen,Slains,Nigg, Findon,Portlethen,Monquhitter,Cumineston,Banff,Oldmeldrum

Offline natp_70

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 08 February 13 18:00 GMT (UK) »
You're a gem, thank you!  :D
This is a gift for my grandfather's 95th birthday in April - so a heartfelt thank you for your help

Offline ev

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Drumkilbo
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 08 February 13 18:55 GMT (UK) »
Before 1855(start of official BMD's) the Old Parish Records(or Registers) can be patchy at best.
Fasti Ecclesiae Scoticanae(which I think you have seen) has John born 1790 , father James Imray , John marriage to Catherine Memess(died 11th Jan. 1875) on 29th Dec. 1816.
John died 12th July 1848.

ev
Census information Crown copyright , All Census information from transcriptions - check original records , Familysearch/IGI is a finding tool only - check original records

Offline ev

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Drumkilbo
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 08 February 13 19:23 GMT (UK) »
Not sure how much this would help you but it may be of interest  :)
Scotlandspeople in the Will & Testaments section(dated 17th April 1849) has John Imray , Minister in the Parish of Longside , incl. Catherine Memess.
11 pages for 10 credits.

ev

Offline natp_70

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 08 February 13 19:27 GMT (UK) »
You've all been so helpful - thank you!  :D

I am now on to James Imray and his wife Christian Murray.  He was a carpenter in Aberdeen.  I know they married  on 9th July 1784.

I am so glad I found this forum! And so glad I'm a little more Scottish than I thought I was!  ;D