Author Topic: LEGGE, Uraian House, Dundas Street, Sale,  (Read 6230 times)

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Legge, Uraian House, Dundas Street, Sale,
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 09 February 13 09:17 GMT (UK) »
At SALE Cemetery

Others of the surname are there if required.

Legge William
47Years
00/06/1876   
Location 3 F 38
Comment Son of Thomas Legge. Born in Bury.

Sue
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 09 February 13 23:27 GMT (UK) »
Ann Maria gives birth to his child Alfred Augustus on 13th May the following year and the child is raised as a Fynney despite that fact that his birth certificate shows William Legge as the father I note that he left England in July 1861

The 1861 census was taken on the night of 7 April and it would appear that Wm left England on the 28 March.

According to my resource William arrived in Australia on 3 Jul 1861 however the Argus newspaper states in their edition on 3 July the ship actually arrived on the 2nd.  Naturally Wm LEGGE is not named as he was not a cabin passenger.

The Argus  Wed 3 Jul 1861

ARRIVED-JULY 2.

Queen of the Mersey, White Star ship, 1,227 tons, James Aitken, from Liverpool 28th March
Passengers in cabin: Rev  Beecher, Mrs. Beecher, and family (2), Mrs. Lovell, Miss Barrlngton, Rev Feilden, Mrs. Fielden and family (2), Mesrrs Croft, Billiatt.
Lorimer, Marwood, Rome & Co.  Agents.

Cando
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Boy Scout

• RootsChat Member
  • George in Carnival mood c 1929
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 10 February 13 09:34 GMT (UK) »
Thank you cando for that additional information. In my excitement after my long trail for this man I was mixing up arrival and departure dates.
As you point out he had left prior to the census in 1861. Perhaps he and his wife split up she seems to remain in England.
She gives birth at Preston in May 1862 is on census in 1871 with her mother and the two children you mentioned  previously. The boy Frederick William died in September 1872 age 13 The girl Alice Ann marries in 1886, showing her father as Professor of music, deceased.
I will obtain his death certificate from Victoria as you advise and see if there is any more detail.
Thanks again

Boy Scout
Booth, Askey, Tomlinson, Challinor - Staffordshire
Harvey, Gee, Boston, Shenton, Dale, Maisey, Gibson, Tomlinson, Goodwin - Congleton Cheshire, Fynney- Leek, Manchester, Australia and South Africa

Offline Boy Scout

• RootsChat Member
  • George in Carnival mood c 1929
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 13 February 13 09:17 GMT (UK) »
Following advice I am trying to buy a death certificate to download from the Victoria link provided by cando. I see that I am required to enter a registration number, is that the number 7051 that is on the post by Dee.

Also I recall that some time ago that I downloaded a will from a Victoria site, I am have lost the link can anyone help.

thank you.

Boy Scout
Booth, Askey, Tomlinson, Challinor - Staffordshire
Harvey, Gee, Boston, Shenton, Dale, Maisey, Gibson, Tomlinson, Goodwin - Congleton Cheshire, Fynney- Leek, Manchester, Australia and South Africa