Author Topic: Thomas DAVIES of Ruthin - Help Pls.  (Read 1397 times)

Offline ThommoS

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Thomas DAVIES of Ruthin - Help Pls.
« on: Sunday 10 February 13 01:44 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

In researching the family of the Revd David Griffiths Davies from Oxford, have recently been made aware his father was possibly THOMAS DAVIES of Ruthin Denbighshire.

Afraid what little I know has come from Debbie over on the Oxford list who found the following mention for David Griffiths Davies in the Oxford Jesus College Alumni: "David Davies s/o Thomas pleb. of Ruthin Denbighshire," Debbie has referred me to this list and I am most grateful for her and others help.....

The only details known so far stem from his son, DAVID GRIFFITHS DAVIES who was born abt 1786, (not known where) - he married Ann STOUGHT in Chadlington Oxfordshire on 28/3/1811 and was buried at St Algates, Oxford on the 22/5/1845...he lived most his life in Oxford.

It could be that David Griffiths Davies may have been born in Ruthin as well and that's why his birth details haven't been found elsewhere? Also been unable to find any siblings for D.G DAVIES in Oxfordshire

I am also assuming the mother or grandmother for D.G, DAVIES may have been a GRIFFITHS as was the custom to name a son with the mothers maiden name....so perhaps this THOMAS DAVIES of Ruthin married a GRIFFITHS in Ruthin, had his children and then moved out of the area - given his approximate age say 20-30's would make the marriage around 1785+-10 years... maybe....I know it's a long shot..

There is scant reference to a Thomas Davies being a Clergy also about the 1760's so it's possible the son followed the father's calling, and they may have attended the same College but I have nothing concrete.

I know it's difficult but hopefully someone can help me or can point me in the direction to make a start......

Tom

Offline brevitas

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas DAVIES of Ruthin - Help Pls.
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 10 February 13 10:54 GMT (UK) »
Hi

There's a  baptism for a David Davies in Ruthin on 5th May 1785. His parents are given as Thomas and Margaret. Thomas is recorded as a gardener.

There is also a marriage in Ruthin in 15 Feb 1784 between a Thomas Davies and a Margaret Griffiths.

I can't say whether they are the same family or that this David Davies is yours. At the moment I can't easily see any siblings in my records. There are lots of Davies baptisms in Ruthin.

Did you see that there was an insolvency noticed for him in 1823. David Griffith Davies, late of Milton, Shipton under Wychwood, schoolmaster.

I'll get back to you if I find anything else.

brevitas
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ThommoS

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 11 February 13 01:47 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Brevitas......

Yes David Griffiths Davies is recorded in quite a lot of transcripts from that time.....he makes interesting reading....he was the Curate of Charlbury from 1811 and in 1822 resided at Ascot in Oxford when he was suspended from the Clergy for 3 years to be of good character for some issues,  lost all his Clerical privileges together with source of income so seems imminent that he would fall into financial difficulties the year after sentence was pronounced.

He served his time and was later reinstated to the Clergy, posted in 1830 to Pyrton then in 1833 was the Curate of St Nicholas in Chadlington, he is buried at St Algates in Oxford...

I can't post active links on the forum but if you google him and also have a read of the posts on the Oxford forum here which directs you to certain links also, makes very interesting reading indeed....

Thanks for looking at the records and I appreciate it will be quite hard to find his family based on the little info I have........Tom

Offline brevitas

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 11 February 13 11:39 GMT (UK) »
Nothing more yet  :(

If his father is listed as 'pleb. of Ruthin', I don't think he would be clergy.

brevitas

Offline jacoman

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 02 March 13 21:35 GMT (UK) »
My Great Grandmother was Margaret Davies , daughter of Charles Stought Davies , son of the
naughty Curate David Griffiths Davies . I can confirm that DGD was indeed the son of Thomas and Margaret Davies , baptised in Ruthin 5th May 1785 . Many years ago I made several copies in Oxford Archives in connection with DGD and amongst them is a certified copy of his baptism .

jacoman

Offline brevitas

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 02 March 13 21:43 GMT (UK) »
Hi jacoman and Welcome to Rootschat  :)

Would you know if the marriage that I found of a Thomas Davies and Margaret Griffiths were David Davies's  parents:

There's a  baptism for a David Davies in Ruthin on 5th May 1785. His parents are given as Thomas and Margaret. Thomas is recorded as a gardener.

There is also a marriage in Ruthin in 15 Feb 1784 between a Thomas Davies and a Margaret Griffiths.

brevitas

Offline jacoman

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 05 March 13 11:30 GMT (UK) »
I'm afraid I only have the document regarding the baptism of DGD .
I would think that the marriage record that you have found is pretty certain to be for his parents ,
given the date , location and names .

What is your interest in the family ?

jacoman

Offline ThommoS

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 13 March 13 00:23 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jacoman,

Interestingly you mention a Margaret Davies as a child of Charles Stought Davies and Sarah Phipps..........am assuming she was born elsewhere as I could only find the following children born in Chipping Norton to those parents with their baptism dates: and likewise some are spelt differently on the registers ie DAVIS/DAVIES.....maybe I've missed her and others....do you confirm these ones ???

George 26/1/1846
Ann 11/2/1851
David Griffiths 20/2/1852
Ellen 7/11/1855
Kate 18/2/1857

cheers.... Tom