Author Topic: John James, Mariner, Blenheim/Great Eastern Shipping Accident  (Read 4181 times)

Offline gimmeatooheys

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
John James, Mariner, Blenheim/Great Eastern Shipping Accident
« on: Monday 11 February 13 09:57 GMT (UK) »
Hi All

I am researching John James who was born in Carew in Pembrokeshire to Thomas James and Martha Phillips. According to his burial record, he died as a result of the Blenheim/Great Eastern shipping accident in Feb 1862.

1, Could someone please confirm the date of the accident.

2, I can not be sure that it was my John James who was in this accident (although I doubt there were two accidents involving the Blenheim and Great Eastern). Are there any records online that could assist. I live in Australia so I can not go to any of the Archives. I have checked the newspapers but neither of the two that drowned in the accident were named in any of the newspaper articles. Would there be some sort of memorial near Milford Haven/Neyland of the accident.

3, The accident was in February and yet John wasn't buried until April. I presume that his body may not have been found until later, not sure where I might find something about this.

Thanks

Kelly
Woodhurst (ENG - Aust), Robins (Corn - Aust), Everett (Dorset - Aust), Younger (Lanark - Aust), Shadbolt (Hert - Aust), Ashton (Som - Aust), Coward (Wilt - Aust), Tanswell (Leic - Aust), Lane (Dor - Aust), James (Pemb - Aust), Aylward/Elward (Glam - Aust), Done (Ches & Shrop - Aust), Pearce (London - Sydney), Fraser (Argyll - Aust), Smith (Moray - Aust), Ross (London - Aust)

Offline Orielbenfro

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • ORIEL (world wide 1042 ~ 2013)
    • View Profile
Re: John James, Mariner, Blenheim/Great Eastern Shipping Accident
« Reply #1 on: Monday 11 February 13 12:33 GMT (UK) »
Could there be some misunderstanding here? H.M.S. Blenheim was a hulk moored up at Milford and used for storage and barracks.
Two members that I know of who died aboard the Blenheim come from my database on Pembrokeshire Military related Headstones covering the period 1714 to 2010.
+ Able seaman William Allen aged 33 was killed when he fell from aloft of HMS Blenheim 1st May 1863.
+ Paymaster Royal Navy William Ellis who died 08th Jul 1861.

HMS Blenheim was a 3rd Rate with 74 Guns, crew of 590 laid down probably in 1806 served China 1841, broken up 1865.

Great Eastern was ofcourse the idea of I.K. Brunel with Milford being the terminus for New York, an idea that never took off due to his insistence on the wide gauge rails.

Rgds
Owen Ap Benfro
ORIEL (world wide 1042 ~ 2013)
P.R.'s Pembs St Mary, St Michael & Monkton St Nicholas
e-books ~ Headstones & Memorials of St Mary, St Michael, Monkton St Nicholas
e-book ~ Park Street Cemetery Pembroke Dock
e-book ~ Ex Servicemen buried Llanion Cemetery
e-book ~ British Military Cemetery 1832 ~ 1948
Pembrokeshire Military Related Headstones 1714 ~ 2013
PEMBROKE Town & District (History of People and Places)
1946-2015

Offline gimmeatooheys

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 12 February 13 04:00 GMT (UK) »
The Burial record clearly states that he was a Sailor on board the HMS Blenheim and that he was buried in April 1862. Some of the words are unreadable but it definitely states that his death had something to do with "a boat" and the "Great Eastern". I am aware in Feb 1862 that there was an incident involving the Blenheim and the Great Eastern where there were 12 men on a boat assisting the Great Eastern who had to jump overboard and 2 were drowned.
Woodhurst (ENG - Aust), Robins (Corn - Aust), Everett (Dorset - Aust), Younger (Lanark - Aust), Shadbolt (Hert - Aust), Ashton (Som - Aust), Coward (Wilt - Aust), Tanswell (Leic - Aust), Lane (Dor - Aust), James (Pemb - Aust), Aylward/Elward (Glam - Aust), Done (Ches & Shrop - Aust), Pearce (London - Sydney), Fraser (Argyll - Aust), Smith (Moray - Aust), Ross (London - Aust)

Offline crimea1854

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 12 February 13 08:44 GMT (UK) »
At the time of his death HMS Blenheim was the HQ vessel for the Milford Coastguard District. I've checked the CG ship's record book (ADM 175/62) and he was not a CG at the time, so he must have been one of the standing crew. I'm afraid the only way to confirm this is to search the Ship's Description Book at the National Archives (ADM 38/7654). These are so large that the price for a copy would be prohibitive.

If you could find him, this would not only provide a physical description, but also give a list of his previous ships. Additionally if he was discharged dead (DD) this would provide a date for his death, and a check of the Ship's Log might give more information.

Finally if you have a date of birth it would be worth checking the on line Continuous Service Records for naval ratings http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/records/royal-naval-seamen.htm 

Martin

Offline gimmeatooheys

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 12 February 13 10:27 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Martin. I am home so I had another look at the burial record. He was buried on the 7th April 1862 at Hubberston. The ceremony was performed by the Chaplain of the HMS Blenheim, the surname is difficult to read but it looks like John W Bursell, Bushell or something similar. John's occupation was described as a "Sailor of the HMS Blenheim". According to the 1861 Census, he was a Seaman (Merchant), along with his brothers Thomas and George; his father Thomas was a Master Mariner.

According to his burial record, the cause of death, which is also difficult to read, reads something like "Killed by a (unreadable) setting of a boat by the Great Eastern". The word "setting" may not be correct.

I am still looking, I am hoping that the Pembroke newspapers that come online in the future might also provide some answers!!!

Kelly

Offline crimea1854

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 12 February 13 11:30 GMT (UK) »
Kelly

According to the 1861 Navy List the Chaplain was the Rev John W Bussell BA, who was appointed to Blenheim on 3 August 1861.

Martin

Offline gimmeatooheys

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 12 February 13 20:31 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Martin for his correct name!!

Offline Orielbenfro

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • ORIEL (world wide 1042 ~ 2013)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 13 February 13 12:06 GMT (UK) »
With all that info, I can add another entry to my Military database.

Since I have already searched Hubberston Churchyard, I can confirm that his headstone does not survive, although I do have military related headstones from this churchyard from 1782 to 1953.

Rgds
Owen Ap Benfro
ORIEL (world wide 1042 ~ 2013)
P.R.'s Pembs St Mary, St Michael & Monkton St Nicholas
e-books ~ Headstones & Memorials of St Mary, St Michael, Monkton St Nicholas
e-book ~ Park Street Cemetery Pembroke Dock
e-book ~ Ex Servicemen buried Llanion Cemetery
e-book ~ British Military Cemetery 1832 ~ 1948
Pembrokeshire Military Related Headstones 1714 ~ 2013
PEMBROKE Town & District (History of People and Places)
1946-2015

Online Drosybont

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 19 February 13 14:42 GMT (UK) »
Kelly

There are reports of the accident on the British Newspaper Archive site.  It's a subscription site, though you can see a bit of each article for free.

Drosybont
Hotham, Guilliatt, Brown, Winter, Buck, Webster, Mortimore
Richards, Meredith, Gower, Davies, Todd, Westmacott, Hill
Mid C19 Cardiff and Haverfordwest, the Marychurch family.