Author Topic: John James, Mariner, Blenheim/Great Eastern Shipping Accident  (Read 4165 times)

Offline RobbyBobb

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: John James, Mariner, Blenheim/Great Eastern Shipping Accident
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 19 March 13 13:09 GMT (UK) »
Hi, I'm interested in the Blenheim. I have an Alfred George ROBERTS (b.1841) who served as a clerk on this ship, 18 May 1864 – 18 September 1864. His naval record ends here with the comment  ‘D?[ischarged?] Service own reqt 12 Sept 64 to avoid court martial’. I'd like to know what he did to be discharged like this. Wondered if you had any clues? I've searched through The Times and 19thC papers online but can only find the appointment of Edward S. Peach as clerk to the Blenheim, 14 September 1864. No ref to Roberts.

Offline Suttonrog

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: John James, Mariner, Blenheim/Great Eastern Shipping Accident
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 29 June 19 09:39 BST (UK) »
I know that this is an old post, but during my research into a sailor on HMS Blenhein I came across this by the Pembroke Historical Society
During the latter months of 1861 repairs were carried out at Milford. These included the replacement of fittings and furniture demolished in the gale, while saloons and berths were rearranged and put in order.57 The principal repairs were new paddlewheels, rudder head and sailing gear. One of the principal contracts was awarded to James Gaddarn of Neyland that ‘spirited s hipbuilder’ 58 to build a large coffer-dam in order to facilitate repairs to the sternpost and rudder. This work required all the men in his employ.

On Sunday 16 February 1862 an attempt was made to berth the Great Eastern on the gridiron. The attempt ended in disaster. Assisted by three steam tugs, she rounded the Wear Point but during the operation the snapping of a hawser drew into the screw of the Great Eastern a boat containing men belonging to HMS Blenheim. Thirteen men threw themselves into the water, the remaining were ‘rapidly sucked into the maelstrom of waters formed by the screw revolution.’ 59 Two men were drowned, Thomas James of Milford and a boy named Kinston, a native of Ireland. To compound the horror, the Great Eastern struck HMS Blenheim carrying away her bow sprit, jib-boom and foreyard. The damage was estimated at £350.60 The 60-gun screw ship of 1,822 tons, guardship in the Haven and commanded by Lord Frederick Kerr had sustained considerable damage.