Author Topic: War memorial at Manchester Victoria Station  (Read 5233 times)

Offline sowerbybridge1

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
War memorial at Manchester Victoria Station
« on: Monday 11 February 13 14:55 GMT (UK) »
Hello I am a newbie but I need some help. The war memorial at Manchester Victoria Station is as far as we aware the only memorial to the  men on the Lancashire and Yorkshire Railway. As part of the Centenary  in 2014 to WWW1, the community group attached to Sowerby Bridge Station would like to
erect a memorial to the men from the Halifax District on this side of the Pennines. Is it possible to sift out the names from the main memorial tablet and find the men from our district?
we would be grateful for any suggestions on how to go about this.
thank you

Offline jds1949

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: War memorial at Manchester Victoria Station
« Reply #1 on: Monday 11 February 13 18:20 GMT (UK) »
In theory all of the men on the memorial should be on the CWGC website - see here:

http://www.cwgc.org/

Some entries hold biographical information - next of kin and place of residence - but many don't.

Your local library should have access to Ancestry - first port of call the "Soldiers Who Died in the Great War" should tell you where each man enlisted and birth place.

Then there is this - at the National Archives:
Lancashire & Yorkshire Roll of Honour – With the Colours 1914 – 1915 [RAIL 343/755]

the Roll is not online and it only covers the dates stated.

Also worth a visit: http://www.1914-1918.net/

Good hunting

jds1949

Swarbrick - all and any - specially interested in all who served in WW1

Offline sowerbybridge1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 11 February 13 20:34 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for that .I have a copy of the names of the War memorial and I have been through the list on CWGC and discarded any that were from the Manchester or Liverpool regiments.
I need to check that the men I have are the correct ones so I need to check their occupations before the War. Someone has suggested to us that we check the Absent Voters List of 1918 as apparently there was a general election but it would be easier to check back using the men's service number and find where they lived and worked on the rail line.
Thank you

Offline Mavals

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 11 February 13 21:02 GMT (UK) »
One of the problems in checking addresses & etc will be that the attestation papers may no longer exist as so many have been destroyed in ww2 . It might be worth checking with West Yorks Archives ,they might have L&Y employment records etc. Local papers will no doubt have information too. Good luck
Donaldson: Langholm
Donaldson: Inverurie
Vann: Ightham Kent
Knibbs: London ( Battersea/ Pimlico)
Longman: Poole
Wakeling:
Vicary

Offline sowerbybridge1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 11 February 13 22:43 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the help.I will go and see the archivist at our local library she will know what records we have in the area, I know the local newspaper has its archive at the library. Thank you

Offline trystan

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-founder
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 11 February 13 22:47 GMT (UK) »
Come back here if you have any questions or ideas - between all of us, we are sure to be able to help in some way.

Trystan
Send RootsChat a postcard:
RootsChat.com, Europa House, Barcroft Street, Bury, Lancashire, BL9 5BT
Admin Tip: Forgotten your Username or Password and would like to reply to one of these messages?  CLICK HERE to get a reminder.
AOL Users: You may need to 'cut and paste' any links you get in emails for them to work.

Offline Cancan

• RootsChat Veteran
  • mgctp.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 12 February 13 20:10 GMT (UK) »

Possibly try the 1911 census, if you put the place of birth it maybe possible to narrow down a few of the men?  Long shot but worth a try?

Not sure, but I think I did see that Anc****y has some railway records on it's site, might be worth a look?

Good Luck!!

Worthy cause!!  Fantastic Remembrance!!

Cancan :)
The Manchester General Cemetery Transcription Project, Bookmark our website to see updates and information also. http://mgctp.com

Offline fastfusion

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 12 February 13 20:38 GMT (UK) »
comment on looking for resources:

I noticed when looking for my kin and others in Wiltshire,  that there were numerous memorials dedicated to the fallen in each village or town.....
Of these some were plagues in the local churches ,  some were central in the town squares etc.....   maybe scout around for those in the place you are looking.

The next thing about Wiltshire was the GWR (Great Western Railway) has a musuem and a lot of the records about war employees (are now on anc) were available from the railway musuem and Swindon Archives.

The final thing I noticed about Wiltshire,  was , that there were readings or publications done by the parish listing amongst other things the War Dead of the area.
I found some of those by using google quite by chance.

If I were to embark on following up folk fallen in the services I would start at the local family history group,  then libraries in the area, moving up to archives, railway musuems and the like ;  as well as taking a well thought out stroll around the village or town as it would have been in the 1950s or 60s when these plagues or memorials were erected.

And as a final note some cemeteries also have memorials not only dedicating the folk who were in the services who had fallen but the civilian war dead like the ones in Somerset that I have seen....

hope this is of some assistance and good luck in presenting such a list....

:)

Offline heatherjulie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 13 February 13 12:35 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Is this the memorial that you mean?

Heather