Author Topic: hawkers/travellers/showmen families  (Read 7154 times)

Offline opal48

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
hawkers/travellers/showmen families
« on: Monday 11 February 13 19:00 GMT (UK) »
 Trying to find information on finding Births for Hawkers/Travellers/Showmen families ,
  looked on several sites to no avail . i am particularly interested in tracing my great grandmother
  Delia Jones  also known as Minnie on the census 1901 ,she was born 1871 Shropshire, Staffordshire . Her father was Vernon Jones a Hawker by trade , she married Richard Turvill  a Hawker by trade at Sandiacre ,Derbyshire 1900 , she was noted as a spinster on the certificate but also she was noted as follows = Delia Jones ( Formerly Lock ) this could be her mothers maiden name if her parents never married , any help appreciated . :( opal48.

Offline king otg

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: hawkers/travellers/showmen families
« Reply #1 on: Monday 18 February 13 17:04 GMT (UK) »

In 1901 Minnie’s family is in Leicestershire with her husband, Richard FARRILL, age 32 [2971/57/26]

In 1911 he is called Richard BELL, age 45, at Sch 186, Sutton in Ashfield, Nottinghamshire.

You are descended for Vernon TAYLOR who appears, age 27, with his parents, Richard TAYLOR and Lucy [née LOCK], at Higher Bebington, Cheshire in 1861 [2637/84/20]. Here is his baptism:

GLO Chedworth bp16/12/1833 Vernon s/o William/Lucy TAYLOR, trav’g tinker of Chesterfield DBY [‘William’ is an alias for ‘Richard’ which was his regular name TL]

Vernon’s wife is given as “Eady” in 1861 which is a misspelling of “Kodi”) and they have children Louisa (5) Charlotte (4) Jane (3) and Vernon (7m):

STF Croxton bp25/11/1860 Vernon s/o Vernon/Nicoda TAYLOR, bsk.mkr passing through C

Folklore sources say that Vernon and Kodi had 13 children by 1883 and they included Ernest, Dinki (who was possibly your Delia), Lucy, Caroline and Rodi.

The surname JONES comes from Vernon’s wife whose maiden name was Nicoda JONES. She is said to have been the sister of Delia JONES who married Noah LOCK.

SHR Worfield m29/4/1850 Manoah LOCK (full age) Gypsey (fa: Matthew - Gypsey) = Dalia JONES (full age) (fa: James – bsk.mkr)

In the 1861 census, mentioned above, “Eady” is age 24 so she was born (Gloucs) about 1837 which would place her just after Deliah in the following list:

SHR Burford St Mary bp28/5/1836 Deliah d/o James/Caroline JONES, lab of Bnicle [Gnosall] STF

SHR Newport St Nicholas bp1/12/1839 Marab to James/Caroline JONES, lab of N

SHR Newport St Nicholas bp31/12/1843 Naomi d/o James/Caroline JONES, bsk.mkr of N

SHR Newport St Nicholas bp27/12/1846 Haderida d/o James/Caroline JONES, lab of N

SHR Newport St Nicholas bp6/2/1853 Ezekiel s/o James/Caroline, JONES bsk.mkr of N

Vernon TAYLOR is mentioned by Vesey-Fitzgerald on page 101 of Gypsies Of Britain although I believe he gets Vernon’s year of death wrong.
This is James JONES’s baptism and his parents’ marriage

STF Gnosall bp7/3/1816 James s/o Ezekiel/Orange JONES, trav of Coton

STF.STO Stone St Michael m27/11/1815 Ezekiel JONES, X = Orange JONES, X, botp

TL

Offline king otg

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 01 March 13 14:45 GMT (UK) »
Here are two of the relevant baptisms:

DEN Rossett bp28/3/1870 Caroline d/o Vernon/[blank] grinder, bsk.mkr of Allington
DEN Rossett bp22/8/1872 (b26/7) Deliah d/o Vernon/Nicoda, bsk.mkr of R

Offline mark.law3

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 31 March 13 20:15 BST (UK) »
I think I may also be related to this family.

I wonder if anyone can confirm.

My Great Grandmother was Selena Locke. On her marriage certificate her father is named as Vernon Locke.  I think he may also have been known as Vernon Taylor.

I have a newspaper article relating to an incident involving Vernon Locke and his wife Nicola from the Talke area of staffordshire. They are described as being members of a tribe of Gipsies.

Any assistance would be gratefully received

Thanks

Mark

Offline Romany Knaves

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 02 April 13 19:31 BST (UK) »
Hi,
Not sure how far you want to go back,there are early references spelt as Turville in Essex also very early spelt Turvie if its any help.
ESSEX, KENT, LONDON, SUFFOLK, SUSSEX.
Bachelor, Baker, Beeny, Boswell, Brazil, Burgess, Carter, Clements, Cooper, Cornelius, Collins, Day, Dobson, Eastwood, Ellis, Farr, Fairbeard, Harris, Holland/s, Jenkins, Jones, Kennett, K/nave/s, Lyon, Lee, Penfold, Ransley, Robert/s, Reeve/s, Smith, Stone, Thompsett, Tomsit, Wood/s.

Offline Sandy O'Hara

• RootsChat Extra
  • not a lot to say really, only if you dont know me its your loss
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 12 February 18 01:49 GMT (UK) »
Hi Romany knaves, i am doing some research for a friend (peers-holland) and have come accross a edmund holland 1863 nantwich cheshire. and his father thomas holland 1832 mother elizabeth jenkins.I see you have an intrest in both names holland and jenkins. do you have any information on these people that you could share.
thank you in advance

Offline peggysmum

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 13 February 18 17:18 GMT (UK) »
Richard Turvill was my great granny Matilda's brother.
waters/walters-berkshire
tanner and adby- berkshire
loveridge and parker romanies from suffolk,essex,beds,bucks and herts
gill- derbyshire
turvills-hinks,leicestershire
calladine and Bostock,pot hawkers-Derbyshire