Author Topic: Rev E Moses Evans  (Read 8087 times)

Offline EmyrBorth

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Rev E Moses Evans
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 12 February 13 22:26 GMT (UK) »
Hi
Have looked up what's available at Caernarfon Archives re Welsh methodists, but no luck.
Free BMD has the death of an Evan M Evans, aged 68, Q4 1931, registration district Bridgend. Right age, right district.
Emyr

Offline noisylass

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 16 February 13 13:56 GMT (UK) »
 ;D Wow thank you all so much that's amazing and very generous of you all giving your time.  I have a sub to Ancestry and I don't have much luck there.  I have however in my possession now a scrapbook belonging to Ieuan garwyn which has some good info and photos of family members and everyone who posted here was absolutely correct.  I still have more digging to do but thank you all so much. Sally

Offline Chasing-fireflies

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Genealogy is like Chasing fireflies....
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 26 February 13 18:07 GMT (UK) »
I came across this which has some history on the Rev Evan Moses Evans and the parishes he preached at:
http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/wal/CGN/Nancwnlle/HanesNantcwnlle.html
Previously - Badgirl
Thomas-Llangynwyd
Morgan-Garw / Sirhowy
Richards - Bettws
Philips - Rhondda
Pinn - London

Offline noisylass

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 21 March 13 21:09 GMT (UK) »
Thank you firefly.  i have just read that article and showed it to my partner who is Moses Evans great grandson.  It really made his evening.  I can't thank you and everyone else enough for taking your time to find these things.  i am sorry its taken a while to get back to you, its been a hectic time.
Sal x

Offline Sam Swift

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 09 April 13 21:05 BST (UK) »
Hi

He is mentioned in a few Newspaper articles (written in Welsh).

There is a poem (in Welsh) celebrating his marriage to Miss Mary Elizabeth Jones, schoolmistress Aberamman poem written Jul 22 1897, in Y Goleuad, Wed 25 Aug 1897.

And an article (which I've translated as accurately as I can manage)
Libanus. Aberamman.

The congregation of Libanus held a farewell meeting for E Moses Evans and his family on the evening of Monday March 20th,   before he faced his new labour of work at Blaengarw. The gathering was characterized by a feeling of loss and disappointment. The hero of the meeting was one who left a good impression on all who all those with whom he came into contact, and this was deepened though knowing him better. He was characterized by silence, strength and deep conscientiousness. He therefore succeeded in winning his own church’s and class’s trust and he made a warm place for himself in the east’s pulpit, and pity to lose him, when having won licence to speak on the different matters of his  Methodist College. Had HE stayed a little longer, doubtless that an important share of the work that calls for wisdom and discretion would fall to him. However, the East’s loss will be a boon for the West; and should he not receive a pleasant reception in the land of his journey, the whole land of the East will receive him back with open arms. He did true lasting work amongst the young people of his church, and his sympathy toward the adverse and poor will not be quickly forgotten. Should such a one be sent away so abruptly, the area would show that they were not worthy of him, but it was otherwise. The appreciation of his labour was shown here by sending him away with a worthy gift. There was here a happy compatibility between the gifts and those who were receiving them. Mr. Evans’s gift was a “writing desk massive” together with a  moveable chair of the best material and workmanship, and a “side  board” of excellence to Mrs. Evans. The above gifts were worth £25 and the remainder was presented in gold. The presentations were made on behalf of the church by Mr. Joseph Dovenald a Mrs. Ann Jones in a two handed way. If they are accepted to their new field with the same feelings with which they were released from here, great work can be expected of them. A few words were given on the point by Misters John Williams and Edgar Williams, secretary and treasurer of the organization; they were then followed by the Rev. John Morgan, H.T Stephens, John Lewis, Hirwaun Class; Henry Jones, Richard Roberts and Wm. L. Powell, Aberdare Class; and Misters Thos. Jones, Evan Davies, Thos, Davies and Mr. Rogers, Llwydcoed, and the Rev. Davies (B.), Gwawr, a Jenkins (A.). Saron. They were led in devotion by the Rev. John Bowen, Rhydfendigaid. The Rev. Wm. James, Aberdare – king of these states, presided in the dignified fashion, and gave his appreciation to all that was said of the subject of our article. He was released though prayer by the Rev. W.D. Morris Cwmaman.   

Y Goleuad, Wednesday April 25 1900, Page 11, Column 3, Para 3

Offline Sam Swift

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 09 April 13 22:08 BST (UK) »
Hirwaun

Marriage – In the Calvinistic Methodist chapel Hirwain on Tuesday the 20th of this month, the Rev Evan Moses Evans, minister of Libanus, Aberamman was married to Miss Mary Elizabeth Jones, the oldest daughter of the late Mr. and Mrs. Daniel Jones, schoolmaster, Aberamman. The occasion was ministered by the Rev. J.M. Davies, B.A., Pentre (uncle of the bride), assisted by the Rev. W.James, Bethania, J.T. Job, Nazareth, and W.J. Williams, Hirwain. The bridesmaids were Misses Annie and Delia Jones and Miss Thomas, Aberystwyth (sisters and cousin of the bride). Also amongst the pleasant company were Miss Jenkins and Miss Jones of Aberamman, And there was no one there younger than the old patriarch Mr. Morgan Edwards, Aberamman, - who can now further be called “Archdeacon”  Aberdare Class. After partaking of “full spread” laid on by Mr. and Mrs. David Jones, schoolmaster, Hirwaun, - uncle of the bride - , they young pair left for Weston to spend their “honeymoon”. It can be seen from this wedding that the prophecy of the friend Job that day, has come to an end, - Moses has crossed! Who will be next? I have no doubt that the two who are left would take this into consideration. We desire a long life to bring well-being to these two people and may the brightness of heaven shine on their path.

Y Goleuad, Wed July 28 1897, Page 5 col 4, para 3
(Translated from Welsh)

Offline hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 10 April 13 22:54 BST (UK) »
Nottingham Evening Post, 27 April 1926
A newsagent, J Morgan, was asked by Tabernacle Methodist Chapel, Blaengarw, to desist from selling Sunday newspapers or face having his name removed from the membership roll. He chose to continue selling newspapers

"When asked for his views on the matter, the Rev J Moses Evans (Pastor of Tabernacle Chapel) said they took this stand as they were opposed to Sunday labour, and they considered that Sunday newspapers affected church attendance, as people who bought them would stay at home to read them. He pointed out that he had protested in the same manner against running motor omnibuses on Sunday, as they also took people away from places of worship"

Offline sparksav

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 25 April 18 08:56 BST (UK) »
Intrigued by this original posting as the subject was my grandfather and Ieuan Garwyn Evans was my father who died some time ago. I assume that "noisylass" must be a partner to one of my nephews then.
I only came across this posting series today but note that the dates posted are back in 2013 so I am not sure whether anyone is still reading this thread.
I only came across this site by accident as I just randomly typed my grandfathers name into google.
Anyway if you are still reading this thread perhaps you could respond.
Barry Evans

Offline hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 25 April 18 19:14 BST (UK) »
A very warm welcome to Rootschat. An update to info. previously posted -

Western Mail, 9 Oct 1939
MARRIAGES
PHILLIPS-EVANS. - On Sunday, October 8th at Penuel Presbyterian Chapel, Barry, ----*, son of the late Mr. Phillips and Mrs. Phillips, Tredegar, to -----**, youngest daughter of the late Rev. Moses Evans, Blaengarw, and Mrs Evans, Barry.

( "----"*, "-----"** - have omitted Christian names - possibility may still be alive and, therefore, cannot post details).