Author Topic: Edward George LANDELLS - whose son is he?  (Read 22672 times)

Offline anicalouw

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Edward George LANDELLS - whose son is he?
« Reply #81 on: Saturday 14 April 18 10:19 BST (UK) »
I just saw a comment of Hilda Sauerman who was the daughter of my great grand father Edward George and Elizabeth Cutting, so my great Aunt? I do remember being introduced to my Father Eric Edward Lionel Louw's Uncle Jimmy Louw and Aunty Betty Wannenburg and Aunty Hilda.According to my Mother's letter Edward and Elizabeth had just one son who had one son who had only one daughter , no names I am afraid. If I can be of any help, I will try my best.

Offline westernwombat

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: Saturday 14 April 18 11:48 BST (UK) »
anicalouw, if I have understood your information then the little that I have might help, put into a partial tree

1-Edward George Landells
  born: 24 Mar 1876, Coburg, Victoria, Australia
  died: Kalk Bay, Western Cape, South Africa

+Elizabeth Cutting
  born: 1870, Victoria, Australia
  marr: 1900, South Africa
  died: South Africa

2-Edward George Douglas Landells
    born: 2 Dec 1900, Wynberg, Cape Colony, South Africa

2-Sylvia Grace Landells
    born: 2 Dec 1902, Wynberg, Cape Colony, South Africa
    died:

2-Hilda Sauerman Landells
    born: 1903, South Africa

2-Dorothy Adelaide Landells
    born: 19 Dec 1904, Wynberg, Cape Colony, South Africa

+Hermanus Petrus Bosman Louw
    born: 18 Jun 1892, South Africa
    marr: 1920, South Africa

3-Eric Edward Lionel Louw
      born:
      died:

3-Myra Louw
      born:
      died:

3-Betsy Louw
      born:

+Wannenburg
      born:
      died:

3-Eslin Louw
      born:
      died:

2-Millicent Gwendoline Landells
    born: 16 Dec 1909, Wynberg, Cape Colony, South Africa

Offline anicalouw

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: Saturday 14 April 18 12:24 BST (UK) »
My Dad Eric Edward Lionel Louw born 17/09/1924 died 18/06 2014 married to Catharina Helena Hendrina Carstens have 3 children me: Catharina Carstens Dawson ( married name), Marina Delana Louw and Eric Hermanus Louw. Unfortunately I don't have his siblings birth dates but going to write to Aunty Betsy today......before she dies to ask her. She lives in the Strand, Western Cape where we grew up. I live in Ireland for the last 40 years.

Offline RDConradie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: Tuesday 12 March 19 17:42 GMT (UK) »
This is a message to Geordie daughter and anicalouw (and other distant relatives). I am the great granddaughter of Vera Irene Cutting and I have just today discovered her sister Elizabeth! We have always known there was a Landells connection but were not sure how, as my mother cannot remember (she is 81!) or never knew. However I have a birthday book originally owned by Lily (another sister) with Landells' birthdays (Edward, Adelaide, Douglas). We always assumed Vera was the oldest, but it would appear Elizabeth was. I still need to check up on this, but she was apparently 20 in 1900 when she married. My family tree is on MyHeritage(Cutting, Slabber, Martheze), although since I started out as a complete novice with the Cutting tree I cannot guarantee absolute accuracy. I would love to compare notes, though. I do have pretty good info on the Cuttings higher up in the tree. Vera's father was a building contractor and his company built a number of the dressed stone buildings in Muizenberg, which is probably how Edward got to know the family, being a stonemason. But prior to that Thomas and his father operated the omnibus company that travelled from Cape Town to the Southern suburbs before the railways. The original Cutting arrived in CT prior to the 1820 Settlers. Please do let me know where you fit into the tree.

Offline RDConradie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: Monday 18 March 19 15:12 GMT (UK) »
Hi Westernwombat
I apparently will need to reply to your message on the public notice board because I am a new member-I actually came upon these posts by chance and I must say it makes interesting reading! I am only related to Edward (as we know him) through his marriage to Elizabeth, but I am therefore related to his 4 children and all of the Cuttings. Elizabeth was my great grandmother Vera's sister, although for some reason I did not have her as a definite sibling until a week ago and some sleuthing. I had to rely on my mother's not-so-good memory (she is 81 and in the beginning stages of dementia), but I do have Edward and his 2 oldest children's birthdays annotated in a birthday book which belonged to another sister, Lily and was passed to my grandmother. And they also appear in my grandmother's birthday book so she must have known them. Elizabeth's parents were Thomas Henry Cutting(b1860) and Elizabeth nee Ingham(b c 1860). Thomas owned a construction company in Muizenberg and built many of the dressed stone buildings thereabout, but prior to that he and his father (William Thomas) owned the omnibus company that ferried people from Cape Town to the Southern Peninsular prior to the railways being established. William Thomas grandfather, William was one of the first British Settlers to the Cape, arriving with the first party in Cape Town, prior to the (famous)1820 Settler parties to the Eastern Cape. William(PROG)'s wife was the daughter of a retired soldier, Robert Cooper. While I am in contact with a couple of Cutting descendants, as yet I have not been able to make contact with any with either the surname Cutting or Landells.   

Offline anicalouw

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: Monday 18 March 19 15:26 GMT (UK) »
Hi there, I am the great grand daughter of Edward George Landells and Elizabeth Cutting. Their daughter Adelaide Elizabeth Dorothy Landells was married to my grandfather Hermanus Petrus Bosman Louw, they had 4 children of whom my father was Eric Edward Lionel Louw. My name is Catharina Carstens Dawson ( was Louw)

Offline westernwombat

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: Monday 18 March 19 22:21 GMT (UK) »
Hi Westernwombat
I apparently will need to reply to your message on the public notice board because I am a new member-I actually came upon these posts by chance and I must say it makes interesting reading! I am only related to Edward (as we know him) through his marriage to Elizabeth, but I am therefore related to his 4 children and all of the Cuttings. Elizabeth was my great grandmother Vera's sister, although for some reason I did not have her as a definite sibling until a week ago and some sleuthing. I had to rely on my mother's not-so-good memory (she is 81 and in the beginning stages of dementia), but I do have Edward and his 2 oldest children's birthdays annotated in a birthday book which belonged to another sister, Lily and was passed to my grandmother. And they also appear in my grandmother's birthday book so she must have known them. Elizabeth's parents were Thomas Henry Cutting(b1860) and Elizabeth nee Ingham(b c 1860). Thomas owned a construction company in Muizenberg and built many of the dressed stone buildings thereabout, but prior to that he and his father (William Thomas) owned the omnibus company that ferried people from Cape Town to the Southern Peninsular prior to the railways being established. William Thomas grandfather, William was one of the first British Settlers to the Cape, arriving with the first party in Cape Town, prior to the (famous)1820 Settler parties to the Eastern Cape. William(PROG)'s wife was the daughter of a retired soldier, Robert Cooper. While I am in contact with a couple of Cutting descendants, as yet I have not been able to make contact with any with either the surname Cutting or Landells.
Thank you for the reply, RDConradie.
In trying to locate more information related to Edward George Landells, I have been using the Historical Records section of FamilySearch (LDS) to look at South African records - recently, mainly of the Cutting family.
Something that seems quite odd, is that in those records children born to Thomas Henry Cutting and Elizabeth have birth dates with a "gap" between 1883 and 1893. This may suggest 2 persons HR Cutting, with wife Elizabeth (but maiden names indeterminate).
What do you think?
There are precise baptism dates for the children Elizabeth Ann, Amelia, Rachel, and Thomas Henry William CUTTING (1879,1881,1882,1883).
Then, for Vera Irene, Ethel Amelia, Hilda Maud, Gladys Mabel, Lillian Violeen, and Patricia Sylvia (1893,1895,1897,1899, 1901, 1904).
Examining the accompanying images of the original records does give a stated dated of birth in some cases.

From those dates, Elizabeth Ann Cutting and Vera Irene Cutting were born 14 years apart.

What eludes me are the marriage date of Edward George Landells and Elizabeth Cutting, and their dates and places of death. Did they leave South Africa?

Offline RDConradie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: Tuesday 19 March 19 07:06 GMT (UK) »
Hi Westernwombat. There is the discrepancy between the fist listed children and the later ones which I need to research further, but I do know that the Landells are relatives because of the birthday book and Elizabeth's neice (Thomas' daughter, Beth) confirms this. I do have the D/N for Elizabeth's mother-also Elizabeth. She was staying with her daughter Hilda Orchard at the time and it us also on this D/N that Elizabeth Landells is listed as Hilda's sister.

Offline RDConradie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: Tuesday 19 March 19 07:13 GMT (UK) »
Westernwombat. Just wanted to add.....there is the perid when Elizabeth's parents went off to the diamond fields of Kimberley( where my gr gran was born) which could have had an effect on her mother's fertility. It was not unusual in those days to have siblings of such differing ages, but yes this needs further research.