Author Topic: Philip Henry MILLS  (Read 4979 times)

Offline SPARHAM

• RootsChat Extra
  • Ada Fellingham my Great Grandmother
    • View Profile
Philip Henry MILLS
« on: Tuesday 12 February 13 13:32 GMT (UK) »
I have had so much help with Philip on the Norfolk forum but now he brings me to Devon.

Philip Henry Mills is my 3 x Great Uncle.   He was born in Pulham St Mary in 1797 and died in 1876 in Newton Abbott.  Philip was married to Susannah Mllls nee Rodway.  They had 2 daughters (mentioned in my 4 x Great Grandfather, Dr Ebenezer Mills also born in Norfolk). 

I can only find one census that mentions him and that is the 1871 census which has him down as Philip Henry Miles.  His daughters, Susanna and Julia seemed to have been farmed out so to speak.  Susana appears in the 1841C as living with her father Charles Andre Mills.  Charles never married and had no children.   In all of the censuses mentioned Susanna, the information is the same.

Julia appears in the 1841C as living with her grandmother Susanna (aka Sarah) and I can find nothing of Julia anywhere after that. 

A helpful researcher on Roots found a marriage for Fridericus Mills and Anna Maria Hauswald in 1859 in Germany, it has Philip and Susannah as parents.  I can find nothing more of Fred.

They had 2 servants in the 1871C in Devon, Elizabeth Smith  b 1851 in Cheriton and Mary Hone b. 1851 in Moortown Devon.   

If anyone knows of Philip and Susannah when they were in Devon, I would love to hear from you.

SPARHAM 
Sparham - Norfolk/Suffolk/Essex/USA/Canada
Fellingham - Suffolk/Essex
Wakeling - Suffolk/Essex
Harvey - Suffolk/Essex
Andre - Europe, USA
Lockwood - Essex/Suffolk
Coe - Essex/Suffolk/USA
Thurlow - Suffolk
Jeffes - UK/Spain
Golding Essex/Suffolk
Mills - Norfolk
Widder - Norfolk, Suffolk, anywhere
Fison - anywhere

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: PHILIP HENRY MILLS
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 12 February 13 17:40 GMT (UK) »
A bit confused - you say that Philip Henry Mills and Susanna had 2 daughter - Susanna and Julia

You then say that in 1841 - daughter Susanna was with her father Charles who never married and had no children??

His daughters, Susanna and Julia seemed to have been farmed out so to speak.  Susana appears in the 1841C as living with her father Charles Andre Mills.  Charles never married and had no children
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline SPARHAM

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 13 February 13 14:36 GMT (UK) »
I'm confused too Carole.   I have proof that Susanna was the child of Philip and Susanna (and a lot of help from this site with this).   My 4 x Great Grandfather (Philip and Charles' father) mentioned the 2 girls in his Will and stating that Charles Andre Mills was without issue.  This is totally confusing.  It really looks like the kids were given to relatives.   I cannot find Philip in any UK census except the 1871C and it does not look like he went abroad either.   Very confusing ???
 ???
SPARHAM
Wakeling - Suffolk/Essex
Harvey - Suffolk/Essex
Andre - Europe, USA
Lockwood - Essex/Suffolk
Coe - Essex/Suffolk/USA
Thurlow - Suffolk
Jeffes - UK/Spain
Golding Essex/Suffolk
Mills - Norfolk
Fison - anywhere

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 13 February 13 14:51 GMT (UK) »
I think this is adding to the confusion:

Susana appears in the 1841C as living with her father Charles Andre Mills. 

There's no census describing her as Charles' daughter, or is there? The 1841 doesn't state relationships between members of a household.
Ayr: Barnes, Wylie
Caithness: MacGregor
Essex: Eldred (Pebmarsh)
Gloucs: Timbrell (Winchcomb)
Hants: Stares (Wickham)
Lincs: Maw, Jackson (Epworth, Belton)
London: Pierce
Suffolk: Markham (Framlingham)
Surrey: Gosling (Richmond)
Wilts: Matthews, Tarrant (Calne, Preshute)
Worcs: Milward (Redditch)
Yorks: Beaumont, Crook, Moore, Styring (Huddersfield); Middleton (Church Fenton); Exley, Gelder (High Hoyland); Barnes, Birchinall (Sheffield); Kenyon, Wood (Cumberworth/Denby Dale)

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 13 February 13 14:52 GMT (UK) »
I cannot find Philip in any UK census except the 1871C and it does not look like he went abroad either.   

Julia Fanny Mills was christened 1832 Birmingham,      Fridericus Guilelmus Mills (Frederick William Mills) was married Dom Katholisch, Mainz, Rheinhessen, Hesse-Darmstadt in 1859 age 25 (born c1834 parents Philip Henry & Susanna)  Perhaps Frederick was brought up in Germany, he may even have been born there.

I would think it worth investigating whether Philip Henry & Susanna were in Germany, he appears on the 1871 census in Devon as a 'Retired Merchant'  especially as they appear to have left their daughters with family in England.

Rosie
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 13 February 13 14:53 GMT (UK) »
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline SPARHAM

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 14 February 13 14:11 GMT (UK) »
Rosie.   Lovely to hear from you again.  Yes Germany must be the next step. 

Regarding Susanna's relation to Charles Andre, in some census, she is down as his daughter.  However perhaps some research in Germany must now be the next step. 

Thanks for your help and to you to Rosie
SPARHAM
Wakeling - Suffolk/Essex
Harvey - Suffolk/Essex
Andre - Europe, USA
Lockwood - Essex/Suffolk
Coe - Essex/Suffolk/USA
Thurlow - Suffolk
Jeffes - UK/Spain
Golding Essex/Suffolk
Mills - Norfolk
Fison - anywhere

Offline JaneyCanuck

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • The Famous Five take tea on Parliament Hill
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 14 February 13 21:05 GMT (UK) »
This doesn't help a lot, but in 1841 could Phillip be in Edgbaston in the household of James and Mary Rodway? He is aged 40 (James and Mary are 30 and 20) and both he and James Rodway show "M" as occupation -- merchant? James would presumably be a relation on Phillip's wife's side. The only other person in the household is a servant, i.e. no Susannah Mills wife of Phillip.

(Edgbaston is where Philip and Susanna Rodway married in 1823.)

Also just to note from the other thread (because I was looking around with the wrong date):

Julia Fanny Mills was christened 1832 1827 Birmingham

edit - James B and Marianne Rodway in 1851 and 1861 are in Edgbaston where he is a commercial traveller and then a brewer's maltster. Their children include eldest daughter Susanna (c1842) and daughter Annie Julia (c1852). But there are no Mills-s with them. He was James Barron Rodway who married Mariane Pensam 1841 Birmingham.

Have you seen the items in the London Gazette?

1823:
http://www.london-gazette.co.uk/issues/17892/pages/177
Notice is hereby given that the Partnership lately subsisting between us the undersigned, Philip Henry Mills, John Rodway the younger, and Josiah Ashford, of Birmingham, in the County of Warwick, as Merchants, under the firm of Mills, Rodway, and Ashford, was this day dissolved by mutual consent ...

1828:
http://www.london-gazette.co.uk/issues/18469/pages/938
- same thing re partnership between Philip Henry Mills and John Rodway the younger.

So he was in business with the Rodway family before he was in bed with one. :)
HILL, HOARE, BOND, SIBLY, Cornwall (Devon); DENNIS, PAGE, WHITBREAD, Essex; BARNARD, CASTLE, PONTON, Wiltshire; SANKEY, HORNE, YOUNG, Kent; COWDELL, Bermondsey; COOPER, SMITH, FALLOWELL, WILLEY, Notts; CAMPION, CARTER, CRADDOCK, KENNY, Northants; LITTLER, CORNER, Leicestershire; RUSHLAND, Lincolnshire; MORRISON, Ireland; COLLINS, ?; ... MONCK?

Offline SPARHAM

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 17 February 13 13:05 GMT (UK) »
Janey bang on!!!!    What a load of helpful info you have given to me.  Like the comment about business before bed lol.

Thank you so much for your hard work.

SPARHAM
Wakeling - Suffolk/Essex
Harvey - Suffolk/Essex
Andre - Europe, USA
Lockwood - Essex/Suffolk
Coe - Essex/Suffolk/USA
Thurlow - Suffolk
Jeffes - UK/Spain
Golding Essex/Suffolk